1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date a former cheater?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by dreamcatcher, Jun 30, 2014.

1. dreamcatcher

Let's say that you've recently been dating a person for the past month. So far, everything has been going great. They're funny, attractive, have a greatcareer, -insert whatever other qualities you like-, but after about 3-4 dates they tell you that they have cheated on a previous partner. Would you continue dating them? Or is it game over for them?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I wouldn't. I understand people can change, but It's hard for me to look past someone who did something morally wrong to someone else and destroyed their trust. Even I would have a hard time trusting them after that; even if they never cheated the lack of trust would destroy our relationship.

3. White Knight

Nope.

From my experience if a man cheats, he cheats again... only will be more careful about hiding his track.

4. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I couldn't. I wouldn't want to have to worry about.

5. Hexagon

It depends. People do change sometimes. So I'd consider it.

6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Guess I'd be in the minority of people that wouldn't end it until they cheated on me? Perhaps I'm too forgiving?

Unless the reasons for doing so with the other person were particularly spiteful.

7. awesomeness

If they really had everything I was looking for, then I'd at least give it a shot despite their past with cheating.

8. Hexagon

And anyway, I don't think cheating is the end of a relationship. I could get past it. And I'd be happy to have a poly relationship if my partner needed it.

9. tulipinacup

Basing from most of the replies here it's one of the reasons why I'm thinking that I should remain as single forever. I have "cheated" on a bf before and until now I still regret it. I'm trying to become a better person and hopefully I could move on from the mess I made. I want to say I have completely "changed" but I think I am in the process of becoming a better person.

I have seen how cheating destroys a relationship and even a person's life and that's a big responsibility which I should need to repay. I learned my lesson but more importantly I do want what's best for my former-lover and I still try to be in touch with him but given how still fresh the wound is, he wanted peace which I am currently giving it to him.

It is now my responsibility for this former love to completely heal from all of the damage I have given to him and If he is ever ready to ask questions about the things I have done behind his back, I will be in full disclosure about it.

As for the question if I would ever date a former cheater? That probably depends on how willing this person is to be really committed to me. Just because we had similar experience of turmoil(and more importantly our own fault to begin with) in a past relationship, doesn't mean we both have the same inclination to change.

10. Julieno

It depends. It may take me a bit longer to trust that person, but people do change so I think I would.

I would just do as I always do, and ask for complete honesty (and offer it in return), so if you think thinks are not working well and that you may cheat on me, I would rather you tell me. It doesn't even mean that the relationship would end but that way we can see if it can be fixed or if we are better off being just friends.

11. Sig

Sig

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  12. Bolin

Absolutely not.

13. twosoups

I would consider it, but the second they try and justify their cheating I'm done.

14. Cass

Well consider this
    They told you about it.
    This means it was probably a one time thing and they regret it
    So yes.

Everyone makes mistakes and everyone deserves a secound chance

15. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd give them a chance.

16. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I would go slow, start with a friendship and see what happens. Everyone makes mistakes, and I don't think it's right of me to judge from things people did in the past. That's not how I want to live my life. I know I make my own share of mistakes. I have my own flaws. Just because I have never cheated doesn't make me any better.

17. hoodie boy

I'd give them a chance. The fact that they tell you about their past behavior shows that they care about you and are willing to change.

18. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope. Can't do it. I have really bad trust issues, and I just wouldn't be able to.

19. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would. If they are honest enough to tell you about it, it means they have probably had a change of heart.

I could probably also forgive a boyfriend if he cheated on me and told me about it. What I could not forgive is if a boyfriend cheated on me and did not tell me (out of fear) and ended up giving me HIV or some other sexually transmitted disease.

Seriously, the first thing I would do if I found out my boyfriend cheated on me would be to have him go to the hospital to see if he's been infected with anything. I'd save the whole "How could you do this to me!?" speech for later.

20. Jay47

Jay47 Guest