1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever realise that your home isn't as LGBT friendly as you think?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Beware Of You, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Beware Of You

So in the past month I have been in England for a week visiting family and a week in Toronto on holiday.

England and Canada are probably the two best countries in the world for LGBT rights (according to ILGA) and in Toronto there were rainbow flags everywhere, even all the protestant churches had them (most had them on their info board which means they will marry a same sex couple and celebrate same sex relationships) .

Back in Ireland with the exception of Pride last week there are no rainbow flags anymore, and I was greeted with an email warning about gangs mugging people who leave gay bars etc.

Its just kinda a downer when you get used to a place where same sex couples are pretty much universally accepted to a place where there is still a long way to go.

2. Candace

I mean, that's why I love hanging out in the downtown area of my city, on my college campus because I know that it's going to be LGBT friendly and I've made friends with people who I know are too. Now, in regards to my home, it's not like my home here is hostile towards gay people in a way, but it's something that no one talks about casually nor mentions. Having said that, I feel "trapped" in a way here and not so much on my campus.

Yes, I live in the Southern U.S. and I'm looking forward to moving back to the North for this reason (and not just this reason)

3. Techno Kid

I hope you enjoyed your time in Canada! ^_^ I am really sorry Ireland is like that though. :frowning2:

For my hometown (it's semi-rural and pretty conservative) I know it is not that queer friendly so when I see a pro-LGBT+ I am pleasantly surprised. :3

4. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ha, in here everybody just minds their own business. Except those politicians who overthink everything. What I've experienced.... You're gay? Great. Straight? Normal. Etc. Of course negative reactions exist, but I haven't been met with them. Not yet anyway.

5. Beware Of You

I guess though, but I mean on pride there were Catholic teachers and stuff there! In Ireland a catholic school can fire you just for being gay (well they are being made to scrap it under a ruling from the European Court of Human Rights). As I pilot I was amazed to find a group for LGBT flight crew in Canada, Aer Lingus while having an openly gay chief pilot don't mention it and instead still make a fuss about carrying the pope 10 years ago

6. Jenna0780

I always find it strange how an hour's drive can change the LGBT friendliness of a place. I went to middle school in a small town and got regularly picked on for my sexuality, and here, it doesn't phase anyone.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not even an hour's drive over here in Michigan. My immediate area is quite hostile to LGBT people, but 20 minutes away we have a gay haven of sorts. The city over there has a resource center, and the last 2 mayors have been gay.

8. Jenna0780

Wow, that is still unheard of here. The woes of being in a dominantly conservative state. Dallas is one of the few blue patches here. Thank goodness!

9. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My cousin lives outside Houston and says it is getting much better.

We are very blue collar union up here, but there are a couple pockets where being gay is ok. It's hit and miss. My county is not friendly at all. I just saw a rainbow flag on a car for the first time ever in this city on Sunday.

10. Jenna0780

I see HRC stickers everywhere here, and it's no big deal. Although, some people don't know what it is. I used to have one myself, but one of the guys who washed my car blew it off with the power washer. AND THEN PROCEEDED TO ASK FOR MY NUMBER because you know, I need a REAL guy so I can make up my mind.

Wow, I went off on a tangent there.

11. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's so sad.....

12. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

It's getting worse..... Even with a gay mayor. LGBT violence is happening more and more often. Except for Montrose. But even there, 'manly men' make it a field trip to go assault the gay guys who've found asylum there.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    She lives in Katy, so I am not sure if that makes a difference.

14. SaraSempiternal

Yes I understand. My mother makes stupid little comments here and there and so does my best friend. :/

15. BelleFromHell

Eeyup, especially since I just moved to a mountain in rural north Georgia.

All that stuff I said about Atlanta? I take it back. Pllleeaassseee let me move back to Atlanta!!... :tears:

16. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You probably feel like you are back in the 1970's, huh? I'm sorry. (*hug*)