1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are You Patriotic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jul 2, 2014.

1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

When talking to some friends, they came across saying that being a patriot (no matter what country you're from, in this case America) is wrong.

They said they support all countries equally & don't put America over any other country.

With that being said, do you look at patriotism in that way, and better yet, would you consider yourself a patriot?

2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I neither love nor regret being born here.

3. Beware Of You

Not really

I am somewhat proud of the UK being the most accepting place in Europe for LGBT people

4. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I have to say I am patriotic, I do love America & would put it first. I mean, I was born here & grew up here & despite being mistreated for my sexuality, I'd say I still love my country.

5. Gwendolyn

I'm not a patriot in any sense of the word. I've never really understood that sort of mentality.

On the other remark, it's somewhat odd to think of all countries equally. I guess it depends on what part of the country you think of when you think of the country. For example, I don't think so highly of North Korea for obvious reasons.

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Patriotism makes me cringe. I could barely handle watching the Olympic opening & closing ceremonies because that amount of patriotism is too much for me to handle. 2012 in general was a little overbearing what with the Olympics and the Queen's Diamond Jubilee or whatever it was. Too many union jacks everywhere.

Normality returned eventually though.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really, but to be honest I take a lot of things here in Canada for granted.
    I don't think it's right to support all countries equally. Some countries treat the citizens terribly and they have barely any rights.

8. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Not at all. I happened to have been born in the U.S.
    I've caught a lot if shit from this, being in Texas. I've even been threatened with deportation by an idiotic police officer.... Three miles from where I was born.
    The whole concept is stupid.

9. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes I would call myself a patriot. I love this great country and I want to see it prosper. Frankly, there is no where else in the world where I would rather live than America. I don't put other countries below another, I just feel that America is a great fit for me personally.

10. Yosia

Nope, dont belong in the UK, dont like it either.

11. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

Yes, I definitely love my country but I'm not one of those who would say "oh, f*** Canada" .. That just makes me cringe. Many people who claim to be "patriots" here who I have encountered happen to say things like that, which bothers me.

12. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I personally think this definition of Patriot from the Merriam-Webster dictionary describes it well: One who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests

13. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They don't understand the difference between patriotism and nationalism. The former is positive, love for a country that helped make you who you are. The latter is the result of a primitive "us vs. them" mentality where you feel your country is the best just because you're from there and know it most completely.

I'd say I'm a patriot. I believe in America's values and its people (*not to the exclusion of other countries of course, as they have just as much to offer.) That said, I DON'T believe in our politicians. Our system of government is generally good, but not so perfect that it eliminates corruption. And they have corrupted the hell out of every quiet nook and cranny so much that we just assume that's the way it is now. Part of being a patriot is making sure your government is kept in check. :wink:

14. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

No, it is too homophobic country.

15. DMark69

I am a patriot, and I have served 12 years in the US Army because I do love my country and believe in it's values. Having said that it is not perfect, and I use my vote to try to make in better (my opinion of better anyway) every chance I get. I have lived in other countries, Germany mostly, so I have seen the way other countries work, and while I love Germany too, The United States is my country and that is the country I have patriotism for.

16. Acm

Acm Guest

I'm pretty unpatriotic, I wish I'd been born in a different country

17. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really I don't love or hate it.

18. Techno Kid

I am pretty much this except with Canada.

Having said that I still see myself as a citizen of Earth first, than a citizen of Canada, and than a citizen of Ontario.

19. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the song I would typically listen to (as a symbolic, personal gesture) when I refused to stand for the "pledge of allegiance":

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6FLmKy-10Q[/YOUTUBE]

You tell me. :wink:

20. Beware Of You

I love you.... Seriously I got to see Rammstein live a couple of years ago freaking awesome