1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Honeymoon phase"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cass, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Cass

So some people tell me they think that the entire first year of a relationship is a honeymoon phase. Like the relationship isn't serious yet, both parties are on their "best behavior" and don't really love eachother yet

I personally disagree

I think a relationship can be serious from the start, however usually for me it becomes the most serious after the first fight. That first fight, in my opinion, tests weather or not you're willing to work through things with the other person

Thoughts ?

2. Jenna0780

I think it depends on the maturity of both people, what both people are looking for in a relationship, and whether or not those things are laid down from the get go. I don't think there's really a defined point at which it becomes serious, but that it's rather fluid. If both people are true to themselves, and to the other, then both people know exactly what to expect in the future.

3. Beware Of You

Well for the first weeks I was kinda shy and reserved and well I didn't really want to talk about sex and stuff (despite him bringing up the topic) since I used to be a little slut and well I didn't want to be judged by it.

Anyway after we erm broke the ice so to speak we became far closer and 15 months in we are in love and are discussing the idea of partnership/marriage, things got better after we were a couple of a while and we opened up to each other

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, mine lasted a few weeks to a few months, if anything. Those were the times I tended to view my partner in an overly-idealistic way, completely overlooking their flaws, and thinking it would be "easy". That's because hormones run crazy and make it harder to think objectively when you're in love.

The first "real" fights happened well after the phase for me. Then the flaws became more obvious, I saw challenges, and the possibility of *not* being together forever became more important. It's after the phase that the real test begins, or so I've heard others describe it this way.

5. Yosia

I think they can be serious from the start if both people want it to. But i have to agree, if two people can work through a falling out then it strengthens the bond, but so does doing something truly special together.

6. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My honeymoon phrase was about the first few weeks to a month. Our relationship became long distance on our one month. Mind you ours was very special from the start. We were best friends and roommates in our dorm. Because of that, everything was accelerated

7. PaganPoetry

I personally don't think something should be serious from the start, you probably need to get to know the person better before you can trust and have an accurate picture of their character...

8. Hexagon

There are actual, chemical changes to a relationship after a year.

9. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow--I would have said the first three years is the honeymoon period. Maybe I'm just old...