1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Age Difference

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caelestis, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Caelestis

This is kind of awkward for me, so bear with me for a few minutes. Recently, I have been seeing a lot of news about pedophilia.

What I don't understand is why an older(over 18) person cannot date a younger(under 18) person as long as the younger person is consenting and knows what is going on within the relationship. I understand the fear parents have of a man kidnapping and raping their child, but some of these people are very good at heart and have no intention of hurting the person they like.

Just as LGBTQIA person cannot help who they are attracted to, these 'disgusting' people cannot help who they are attracted to. Virtuous Pedophiles - Who We Are

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm doing my best here to write an empathic response because I do understand that there's some research (though far from conclusive) that pedophilia may be hardwired. And this creates a conundrum for the psychology field, the legal system, and society as a whole.

The insurmountable problem with your argument is the flawed idea of the younger person being able to give informed consent. As a society, we've recognized that children and teens are not capable of giving certain types of consent. We know from neuropsychology that many of the reason and critical thought functions required to make certain types of decisions aren't fully intact until the late teen years, and, in some cases, into the early 20s.

We've decided, as a society, that the age of 18 represents a pretty reasonable middle ground for a point by which many people will have the necessary critical analysis skills to make important decisions. Of course, some have that capacity at 15 or 16, others won't have it until 24 or 25, and some may never develop it at all. But none of that really matters, because society has essentially come to a consensus that 18 is where the line is.

Additionally, because of the inherent power imbalance between an older person and a younger person, the playing field isn't even. Most people 15 or younger (with rare exceptions) have been conditioned, through school and parenting, to expect that adults are trustworthy sources of information, so a pedophile that has an agenda of wanting to have a romantic relationship is inherently in a conflict; s/he is seen as an authority figure (regardless of how the relationship is introduced or framed), and many younger teens will also attach a desire to please to the inherent authority. Both of these lead to an untenable position where the older person isn't an objective source of information, and the younger person can't make an informed decision due to lack of unbiased information.

On a separate note, there is also some evidence that, at least in some cases, pedophilic attractions do respond to some types of therapy and at least some pedophiles are able to develop healthy and natural attractions for people their own age. So obviously, if we can solve the problem in a way where the pedophile is able to function in a societally-recognized normal way, with attractions to people his or her own age, that's the best outcome for everyone, and the one that probably is the simplest solution to try first. Yes, there are some interesting philosophical and ethical issues raised, but ultimately, society has always looked out first for the needs of our children, and this situation should be no exception to that.

There's a laundry list of other reasons why it simply isn't healthy for the younger person to be in a relationship with an older person, but the above alone pretty much are the dealbreakers, so nothing else really matters.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A stable mind of any adult should stop them before pursuing any relationship with a minor. Period. It is taking advantage of someone in every way possible.

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't think that most minors are truly capable of giving consent. That being said, I'm not sure I see the problem with an 18 year old dating a 17 year old, but there is a big problem with a 43 year old dating a 12 year old.

5. Caelestis

I understand that, but gerontophiliacs, or people who like older men/women, consent. And I understand peoples fears of a pedophile with an agenda, and also the fear of a child having sex without knowing what the hell is going on, but a willing consenting teen who knows what is happening and loves the person should be able to make that decision not someone sitting in a courtroom in in some big-ass robes.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So apparently you ignored everything I wrote with a simple 'well, *I* think it should be *this* way.' That's always helpful when trying to have a meaningful discussion.

7. Vampire

What Chip pointed out in the original reply is pretty much it. I have once dated a guy 7 years older than me and it did not come out good. He was caring and all, but let's face it, he's more hungry for sex than I am, so he became violent after a while. I would take Chip's advice and go from there.

Lots of love, Andy

8. Candace

Chip hit a nail on the head. My dad remarried someone who is nine years younger than him. That'd be like me, at the present time a 21 year old, dating a 12 year old. At my dad's age and his younger wife's age, both have developed a sense of making rational decisions and thinking for themselves. It's a form of manipulation I think, from the older person that he/she can inflict upon the younger person, since it's most likely that the younger person doesn't know any better, naïve in a way, due to conditioning and never having an opportunity to, like Chip said, obtain unbiased information and to formulate their own thoughts and opinions.

#8 Candace, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  9. Zam

Zam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In Canada the age of consent is 16 but 18 if its a person intrusted to take care of minors (cops,medics,teachers) I would also like to point that pedophilia is for prepubescent children... If you have sex with a 16 year old you are more of a creep...

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The above is correct. The technical term for one attracted to teens is "ephebophile", but "pedophile" is often used as a shorthand for anyone who is attracted to anyone under the age of consent.

11. Joelouis

A few years ago, the UK government rejected calls to lower the age of homosexual consent to 16 & keep it at 18.
    I don't know what the actual age of consent (AOC) is now but it seems that the main people who wanted to lower the AOC just wanted to do so for their own pleasure. I may be wrong but I think they didn't want an actual lower limit as long as the child consented.
    This is just paedophillia however you look at it.

I accept that a person may not be able to control what turns them on (there was a news story over here of a guy who got his thrills out of rolling around naked in horse shit....err, ok, fine), but that person CAN decide wether to act on those desires.

Maybe if two under-age teens wanted to experiment with each other, I don't know.
    But not with an adult who may have alterior motives.

---------- Post added 4th Jul 2014 at 11:59 PM ----------

Curses....I meant Ulterior not Alterior.