1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How many churches are in your town?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sitri, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Sitri

I was researching the history of my town when I noticed something odd. In my town of 10,000 people, there are 36 churches. When I first moved here, there were 38. Almost all of these were active in the 70s when the population was only 5,000 (35 churches to be exact). About half of these were in operation in the 50s when the population was only 1,000.

If we go to the mid to late 1800s the number of churches was much more reasonable... about 20 with a population of 700. Three of these were "black churches" despite the black population being around 50 people total.

So, is this normal? How many churches do you guys have in your towns?

Note: The source I was using did not count any places of worship the author considered non-christian. So, these numbers do not include any Mormon or Jehovah's Witness places of worship.

#1 Sitri, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  2. Vampire

If I only count the christian churches, 3. If I count all of them, around 7 official ones and around 13 "private" worshiping buildings. The population of my town is around 15.000, so there's not a lot of churches. The only problem is, most of the gold in the town is on and in those churches. I don't get Romanian priests.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A minimum of 50 Christian churches (and a lot more Christian centres which perform some Churchly services), plus a dozen or so mosques/Islamic centres, several Synagogues/Jewish centres, and a few more religious institutions.

For a city of almost 400,000, we haven't got that many churches, and only one (Catholic) cathedral.

4. Sitri

Huh, guess I do have a lot of churches in my town. I never thought about it until now. When people joke about a church on every corner, I never bat an eye, because where I live, there is.

5. Yosia

I live in a village and theres one.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The famous American author, Mark Twain, wanted to sell his books in Canada. At the time (1881) there was this law that stated that any author who wanted to sell books here had to live here for a minimum of 6 months (strange, I know). So he chose Montreal, and was treated like royalty.

He had this to say about my city:

Nowadays, church attendance in this city has never been lower...many of these buildings are being converted to condos...

7. Vampire

I don't see the point in having so many churches.

8. Candace

I live in one of the largest cities in the Southeastern U.S., so I'd have to say 3-4 within a mile radius. It's a huge number. Now in terms of attendance, that's another story.

9. twosoups

Probably about 50 and one cowboy church in my town of 20,000

My friend has a store. Two churches coexist in his commercial center, and one exist directly behind him.

10. Sitri

That's what is happening to one of the two churches that have closed since I moved here. I'm glad, it's a beautiful building.

The conclusion I'm getting form this is that North Americans love them some churches.

11. Gwendolyn

Apparently, as of 2006, my town had 54 churches. And the town only has 25,000 people. I knew there were a lot of churches, but this is ridiculous.

12. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's entirely normal for rural America. In the Eastern Montana town I was once stuck in, population slightly less than 5000 - well, I believe it was somewhere in the mid thirties.

In this Western Montana town, there's probably about the same number spread out over 50,000ish people. Seattle area, who knows how many. I expect a similar ratio of churches to people though.

13. IG88

I live in a small town. I don't know the official count, but going off of memory from seeing churches I drive by...6? I know there's probably more.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

You know, I've never counted, but it seems like a lot. I live very close to a Catholic Church, and even closer to an Islamic Mosque.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My city has a population under 80k last time I checked and we're one of those places for every bar there are two or three churches (to put that into perspective, let me be clear when I say that my city is the DRUNKEST CITY IN AMERICA. I'm not joking or exaggerating, look it up).

I don't know how many we have, but there's at least five churches that are within a very short walking distance from my old high school, under ten minutes to be honest and about three of them are all on the same street, at least within two blocks of one another.

16. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

Over 1,000. Not exaggerating.

17. Jethro702

According to Church Finder: Churches in Warner Robins, Georgia - ChurchFinder.com

There are 107! Wow! Never knew they were that many.... lol
    According to another site as of 2012 there was a population of 70,000-ish people here.

If my math is right.... 70,000/107 = 654 approximately.

There is 1 church for every 654 people in town.

18. Candace

This is intriguing :thumbsup:

Well I live in Atlanta, one and a half hours away, which is clearly much much larger than Warner Robins. However, I theorize that the amount of churches per square mile here is roughly the same as it is there. Now, if you were to ask about the combined amount of religious institutions, then one would find a lot more here. With every church that I see, there's bound to be a synagogue and a mosque next door. :lol:

19. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    113 churches in a city of 761,000 or thereabouts - not including the church buildings that are no longer churches (some are converted to nightclubs).

Nearest church to me is pretty old - built in the 1300s, but that isn't the oldest in the city.

There are 23 mosques and 7 synagogues + a few more Jewish centres.

#19 imnotreallysure, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  20. LiquidSwords

60 active churches apparently, which makes roughly 100,000/60 = 1667 people per church. Not much of an idea about what sort of congregations they all have but my grandparent's church I occasionally go to is usually pretty dead.

Some of them are really beautiful, especially the ones in the town centre and especially the abbey.

[​IMG]