1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Happy 4th of July - and how's your penmanship?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Happy 4th of July, folks. Tomorrow is generally about food and fireworks, but it means a lot more than that. In barely over 200 years, the U.S. has become quite an interesting place, standing all on its own, and that's an understatement.

I was glancing at the news on line and saw a visual of the Declaration of Independence. Wow. The penmanship is a work of art and so are the signatures. These were all straight guys and pillars of their communities ... or the country! When did this garbage that penmanship and gender/sexual preference were linked ever come into being? It's kind of sad. More people should have a good hand when they write.

Happy 4th! Nothing special planned, except for a lunch invitation. How about the others?

2. Hexagon

I'm planning to go to a university open day.

Admittedly, I'm not american. I'm not usually fond of this kind of celebration, and obviously I think you take it too far. But I have to give you credit for this one; independance from the idiots who run the country I currently find myself in is a worthwhile achievement.

#2 Hexagon, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  3. the haunted

I can write neatly in print, but my cursive is absolute garbage. Seriously, whos idea was it to put three humps in a lowercase cursive 'm'. Shit's whack.

Tomorrow I'm working a 9-5 then coming home to a bunch of people in my house. Sounds like a wonderful day to get trashed and eat delicious food. :icon_bigg

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Declaration of Independence was an important document. Even at that time it would have been viewed as important. So I suspect that care was taken.

Past that, that era was obviously much different. Handwriting was the ONLY viable way of written communication for a lot of things. There were no word processors, and even the typewriter didn't exist. So penmanship was a lot more critical.

As for my plans for tomorrow, they are non-existent. Maybe I'll go to Goodwill and partake of the 50% off all donated goods sale. Or maybe I'll just clean the kitchen.

Old quiz question: Do they have the 4th of July in England?

#4 BMC77, Jul 3, 2014
  5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only to be replaced with even bigger idiots. :grin:

My penmanship varies. If I'm tired or bored, and I try to rush things, it can look messy. My cursive writing is pretty bad, but I'm not bothered about that.

No. This date does not exist in England.

#5 imnotreallysure, Jul 3, 2014
  6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, yes...I might as well add this. My handwriting is terrible. Trust me, if I'd written the Declaration of Independence it would not be viewed as a beautifully written document by anyone.

My 5th grade teacher said at a parent-teacher conference: "The sooner he learns to type, the better it will be for the whole world."

7. justjade

I can't even read my writing. :lol:

8. Hexagon

Never said it worked out perfectly. But I can understand the sentiment.

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Complaints about handwriting aren't new, either. Back around 1990, a college professor whom I casually knew lamented how bad penmanship had gotten in the US. He was the first person I knew who mourned the passing of cursive handwriting--even then he was seeing many students print, not write in cursive. He told me about how his sons had gone to a German school (while they lived a year or two in Germany), and were expected even at a young age to write in cursive using a real pen with real ink.

10. Hexagon

I'm pretty good with a pen. I can do cursive and such things. No one's ever complained.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Answer to my Quiz Question above. ("Do they have the 4th of July in England?")

Answer: yes, of course there is the fourth of July. It's just that July 4 is not celebrated as a holiday. (This question appears on quizzes with "trick questions.")

12. Candace

I was forced to write in cursive in high school, so my cursive is very good, although I much prefer print. I'd say that my handwriting is very unique and I do a lot of things that I don't see a lot of my peers doing (I put a slash through my z's and 7's to avoid any confusion).

I once had a teacher in middle school that took off points on a test because they couldn't read what I wrote. From that day forward, I always tried to have very good penmanship.

I read an article once that said something like "well girls usually spend more time indoors therefore have more time to practice their penmanship, therefore it's much clearer when they write." Really? I don't buy that...

13. Hexagon

You're wrong, it just turned midnight here, and it's now the 5th of July.

14. AlamoCity

I write and sign like a doctor. I have a CNA nurse come and do daily maintenance on my grandma and we have to fill a form that she did her job. She's told me several times that people at the hospice agency ask her who the doctor was who signed it because I have a very stereotypical "doctor's signature" :lol:.

My normal block handwriting is very "guy-ish." I've always had crappy handwriting. I can write "pretty" but it takes so much effort and concentration.

Tomorrow, we might cook something on the grill, though we might wait to celebrate it with family on the weekend. Maybe I will make my famous ribs with a brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, garlic, and nutmeg rub and pineapple barbecue sauce.

15. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mine is ugly, but I've been complimented on its legibility-- it gets the job done. I care less about the visual presentation than the content.

I don't think people equate legibility with gayness, just a distinct "girliness" that's characterized by very round and plump letters.

I admire the Declaration very much. It's not a long document, and is essentially a "Here's why it's not working out, so it's been real." Its philosophy is not only applicable to nations, but individuals. I'm glad we were able to preserve it for ourselves and our posterity. :grin:

#15 Argentwing, Jul 3, 2014
  16. Jay47

Jay47 Guest

My handwriting has been horrible since a head injury as a child.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's bad, but it always has been. I don't really care.

18. AlamoCity

This is my ugly handwriting and signature (signature is only of first name, and doesn't include my middle or last name).

Attached Files:

19. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have horrible dexterity so yea. I guess I'll mimic Alamo and upload a sample of my handwriting soon :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I have a disorder that impairs my ability to do delicate work like write by hand. I can do it, but it's extremely sloppy.