1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Pride alone (in closet?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TalkingBird, Jul 5, 2014.

1. TalkingBird

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    As the title says, I'm not out (except a couple of friends) and am thinking about going to Pride in Manchester alone in August. The city isn't exactly on my doorstep - a couple of hours away from where I live - but I'll be starting uni there in September (like 2 weeks after Pride) so I thought it'd be a good idea to go and meet people and hopefully make some friends there before I move.

Thing is, before I went I'd either have to a) make something up as to why I'd be away by myself or b) work towards coming out to my family and tell them I'm going to Pride. I'm out to one close friend but I don't think she's fully accepting of it yet, so I'd feel a bit awkward asking her to come with me. Plus, I kind of want to go by myself because then I could be totally myself as there'd be no one around who knows me. I guess I do want to go, I'm just super nervous! I've never been to a Pride event before - are there many people who go alone/what are people's experiences of going by themselves?

2. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was kinda nervous/sorta scared the first time I went to pride... both because of going alone, and because of the 'what if someone sees me' thing(I'm not out). The nervousness was gone once I saw the crowds & walked into the park where pride was being held, it was replaced by a feelings of...don't know exactly how to explain it other than happyness/and like I actually fit in/belonged there. really pretty awesome feeling.

I've since been to pride in that city 4 times, and another city twice... always by myself (i'm also still not out)

3. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure how it is in the UK, but tons of straight people go to pride where I live.

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Same here.
    Kinda surprising how many people bring their kids too...

5. Candace

I was too since I thought that I'd get broadcasted and my family would see it on TV...thank goodness :lol: