1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't you hate how people still believe that transgender=homosexual (and vice versa)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Jul 5, 2014.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    The same way people still believe that transvestites are homosexual. Ugh! I hate it when people still think all of that is the same thing. My parents, who have the nerve to consider themselves being very open minded think transgender = gay, transvestite=transgender, bi=gay etc :dry:

Now, it's possible to be both, transgender AND gay or transvestite AND straight, but people understand that even less

How do you handle this? Do you school people when they have this misconception? don't you think they should know this by now?

2. birdking

Re: Don't you hate how people still believe that transgender=homosexual (and vice ver

YES THAT MAKES ME SO ANGRY

I get a little up-in-arms when it comes to wrong information, especially regarding transgender people because we're commonly the butt of jokes so a lot of harmful stereotypes are getting passed around.

I think the confusion stems from the fact that we share an acronym, when sexuality and gender are so different.

Not saying we should separate everyone, but it would be nice if there was more of a distinction.

3. Hexagon

Re: Don't you hate how people still believe that transgender=homosexual (and vice ver

Yeah.

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

Yes I do hate that , I don't get why people think the two are the same :confused:

5. PaganPoetry

omg I'll be honest a few years back I used to be really ignorant about this, I've luckily been able to learn more about it and realize I was deeply mistaken and now I try to educate people whenever anyone else makes that mistake.... they should honestly teach about these things at school....

6. BelleFromHell

They need to be smacked...

[​IMG]

There is no excuse for someone living in the 21st century to believe that. It's obsurd.

7. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Ugh.

I mean, I'm not straight either, and you can probably call me gay and be about 75% correct, but so many transgender people aren't gay, and others are completely straight.

I have to agree with birdking on this one. It's probably because we share an acronym. All letters in LGBT deal with sexuality except transgender, and holy fuck, don't get me started on transsexual.

So many people I've asked said it was an attraction towards transgender people.

8. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah. Believe me, it drives me nuts. It goes along with that gay = opposite gender stereotype too. My mom was watching Glee last night at my place and I disgress, this was one of the first times I'd ever really seen it. In the episode, the chorus teacher guy divides the students into boy v girl groups. The token gay male kid automatically went to the girl's side. I was like "What the fuck? You're a dude! Unless you are actually female identified and that would be cool but you're probably not!" Gay doesn't automatically equal girl. Believe me. -_- I'm not a girl just because I like my boyfriend's dick in varied orifices

9. justjade

Yes! It drives me insane when people think that I secretly want to be with a woman just because I'm a guy, or that I'm not really a guy because I'm with a man. I hate it when people ask who the man and the woman is in a homosexual relationship, too. That just steams my broccoli.

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2014 at 04:25 PM ----------

Also, ^this.

10. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

I can't express my sentiments

11. edgy

edgy Guest

I hate it when ppl fucking assume you wanna be a chick just cuz ur gay!!! Like honestly, fuck them!!!

12. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

Once someone asked me, "So why do you want to be a man if you like men?"

:dry:

13. littlemonster11

I didn't realize people assumed the two were the same. That is just plain ignorant. Smh.

14. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

um, WTF!!!!! :dry:

15. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I've always been mad at this.
    I think it's mostly the " lesbians are masculine and gays are effeminate" stereotype that causes this.
    And heteronormativity, like instead of accepting that some people actually like their own gender, they believe we actually want to be the other, since being the other gender and liking our own would make us heterosexual again.

16. Candace

It's like, gender identity and whom you're attracted to are two different things..sigh.. -_-

17. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

Yep, and at one time scientists believed gay men and women were simply members of the opposite sex trapped in their bodies. *facepalm* I could see where they were coming from, somewhat, since being attracted to men is considered the domain of women, and vice versa, plus the fact that many gay men and women are gender-variant. There was no real division between gays, transgenders, etc. who freely mixed and crossed lines, too.

Sexuality =/= gender or sex

I wouldn't go so far to say we have *nothing* in common, though. That divisive attitude, and I've seen it from all sides, does nothing for us and everything for them - the bigots.

18. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Yup, and they have the definition of homosexual transgender completely wrong along with it. If a MAAB person likes men, but identifies as a woman, they assume 'Oh they want to be a woman because they're gay". NO.

19. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people

How not too be mad at them? how to school them without losing your nerve? In the XXI century people SHOULD NOT have this misconception, it's plain ignorance

20. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family

It is ignorance, it really is. It's a combination of misinformation spread by various sources, and peoples' own apparent inability to look up simple things.