1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Law

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Hexagon

What is your attitude to law?

You know, do you view it as a recommendation, or as something you follow to the letter? Or as something to disregard entirely? Unfair or fair? Feel free to expand.

My general sentiments are that I'll follow my own conscience. You only have to look at the history common to our community to see that something so innocuous as sex was once banned, and in many places still is. And if political protest is illegal, I'd do it anyway. A bunch of other things besides. I find many laws to be completely arbitrary and unfair. Not all, of course, but some.

2. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Human construct. Entirely subjective.

I have my own way of treating people in the way I think they deserve, and hold strong to it, but I don't view it as a requirement that others ought to abide by.
    (Though in some cases, for the sake of kindness, I would implore a certain manner of feeling. I just don't feel there's such a thing as a "moral obligation" to think so.)

3. Gwendolyn

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

4. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just because something is unlawful, does not mean it is wrong or morally reprehensible. Take drugs - alcohol is legal, but is by far the most destructive drug - and is more damaging to your body than, say, ecstasy, or LSD - yet the latter two are class-A drugs.

5. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Laws are imperfect rules created by imperfect people which can never hope to encompass every possible scenario.

Laws should be followed as much as possible, but be adaptable should the situation require. Often they are open to interpretation which can sometimes stand in the way of justice.

Any law should be changeable if discovered Unfit for purpose or a gap/error is found. Overall laws are important for an ordered society and should be followed however they are not absolute and should be overruled if in good conscience and not causing harm to others.

Happy days :slight_smile:

6. mooky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I bend the rules often. I don't steal kill or hurt others but I am a nudist an go on national forest land and get naked and skinny dip. Is that hurting anyone? Still the man says I can't.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Laws are not a measure of moral character and are often unnecessarily restrictive. Laws can be corrupt and immoral in themselves, and almost anything can be legal if it's legislated to be so.

However, I have great respect for the stability of law. I understand that it does prevent a lot of horrible things and helps serve as a sort of social glue. It's easy to criticise law when the law is extremely good, as it is for the most part in Australia. However, nowhere is perfect, and I don't like hearing that "but it's so good, why are you complaining?" There will always be a slight flaw, but often there are enormous flaws which people are willing to ignore.

One of the most annoying things I've ever come across is the support of the law using the law as the reason behind it. An example would be using the US Constitution's Second Amendment as a defence for weak gun controls. Blindly deferring to authority and thinking it is a defence of itself it both frustrating and unpleasant. To refer to something as a defence of itself is idiotic.

I believe the law deserves a great deal of criticism anywhere, but that those under its protection really need to be grateful for what it has done. That doesn't mean that the law which protects one group doesn't hinder another's well-being or even oppresses them, just that the law does provide some level of stability in many cases that I don't think we should take for granted. Laws can help prevent tragedies, but the largest atrocities I can think of have all been legally committed.

#7 Aussie792, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  8. Beware Of You

I have broken it a few times :slight_smile:

Most drug stuff

9. Sitri

Thoreau

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That man has all you need to know. I support all freedoms (and would be willing to overlook breaches of law) until they infringe on the inalienable rights of others. :slight_smile:

11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The law is what gave us slavery, segregation after that, criminalization of homosexuality, and the current regime no protections from employment discrimination that we currently "enjoy."

Americans are authoritarians who cloak their rhetoric in "liberty" talk, Congress is a disaster, and the Roberts Court is also a disaster.

I do read myself a federal circuit court of appeals or Supreme Court decision from time to time, but only because I take satisfaction in watching a slow train wreck.

I follow the law simply because doing so keeps me from being strapped to a table and having someone inject potassium chloride into my body. Cowardly, I know. :frowning2:

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only the idiots. There may be a lot of them, but anyone who says "my opinion is this and everyone needs to follow it" can't proclaim to be advancing liberty.