1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

race preservation and queers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edgy, Jul 5, 2014.

1. edgy

edgy Guest

The idea that queer people who are also for race preservation seems quite strange. Does those people exist? I guess they could only go as far as dating w/in their race

2. Hexagon

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of racist gays. This may piss people off, but hey, I'll say it anyway. Gays, yes, but not so many queers. It usually takes a radical to identify as queer.

3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Racist LGBT people aren't a new thing. I've seen a lot of racism from LGBT people, quite a lot on EC. I think that while we sometimes have the ability to understand others thanks to what we go through, queer people aren't exempt from power structures that benefit them. I think it's foolish to think that we don't benefit from other forms of oppression and discrimination.

Some of the most vicious racism I've seen has come from the LGBT community. In the west, white gays tend to be no better then straights in terms of racism, or at least in my experience.

4. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always thought it strange that so many gay men tend to be so vocal of their "preferences", when two members of the same sex technically can't reproduce with one another. Perhaps it has more to do with narcissism (you're like me, I like me, so I like you) or fear? It would certainly explain why some non-white LGBT want nothing to do with the mainstream community.

5. edgy

edgy Guest

but preference isn't racist

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You keep telling yourself that.

Sure, preference needn't be inherently racist, but really ask yourself and others why they have those preferences, especially given that the most commonly occurring one seems to be whites-only.

7. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ha, once again I've been a bit naive, it would seem...I always assumed that lgbt folk, who usually experience much discrimination and prejudice themselves, naturally would not inflict that on others.

8. BelleFromHell

It wouldn't surprise me. A lesbian once gave me shit over the fact that I'm not "pure-bred white." I'm western European, Scandinavian, native American, and hispanic (as far as I know).

---------- Post added 5th Jul 2014 at 05:52 PM ----------

I agree with both of you. While I don't think preferance itself is racist, I do think a lot of gay men/lesbians are "whites-only" due to pale skin being the norm in the gay community. I'm a feminine lesbian, and I've been told that I have to bleach my hair and wear "white-looking" makeup in order to look more feminine.

As for me, I really don't prefer a certain race. I think woman with dark hair are cute, but it's not a requirement. I think women of any race can be cute.

9. edgy

edgy Guest

you don't even know my race
    you don't even know my preferences

#9 edgy, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2014
  10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It wasn't a comment on you.

11. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

for a second i thought u meant race preservation like natives and such lol

anyway yo psa it's one thing to prefer or be drawn to one race but just writing off an entire race or putting "no aznz" on ur dating profile is just a huge red flag and racist yes

12. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's amazing to me the number of times you hear--yes, even on this board--the basic sentiment of: I like (fill in race) I just wouldn't want to date them. It's not even particularly modern racism--it always strikes me as a sort of 1950s style racism.

13. Acm

Acm Guest

I don't understand race preference though because not everyone in one race looks the same so how can you write off an entire race?

14. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Racism is very much so alive in the gay (and queer) community. Much like trans- and biphobia, it's incredibly sad to see, considering the perpetrators, but it's there...

15. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There will be assholes everywhere, no matter where you go.

16. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

none on the MOON (yet)

17. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Baltimore is a city that has a black majority, and I'd say that gay people here tend to be less prejudiced than 'average'. You see a decent amount of inter-mixture, especially in the gay neighborhoods surrounding Mount Vernon. The city certainly still has vast divides, but the LGBT community seems to help bridge them, more so than not. I'm not sure what the case is in various other places, but it probably varies by country, state, city, history, and many other variables. But both my mate and I have dated blacks in the past (geez, that sounds stupid to type!), and still have no problem in commenting if we find somebody of a different 'race' attractive.

But I think in the imagery of the so-called 'gay community', there is still an odd divide. Part of this is because its generally harder to come out as a gay, black male, due to numerous cultural reasons. (It isn't 'tough'; religious beliefs, &c.) and it's thus harder to see as many openly gay blacks. It's as if one has to come out of two closets.

18. PaganPoetry

idk I dont get it, most (not all, but most) lgbt couples can't have kids on their own so the "race preservation" argument just seems as an excuse to hide prejudice.....

19. LiquidSwords

How someone LGBT could be racist, knowing what it is to be judged on something as arbitrary as sexuality/gender identity, is beyond me.

20. PalestrinaMX

I've heard stranger things. A guy I know who is also gay said that male + male relationships seemed more "natural" than lesbian relationships.