1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mom Advice?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lulu, Jul 6, 2014.

1. lulu

So i'm 14, and i'm going into High School right after this summer is over. My mother is forcing me to enter marching band, even though she knows its the last thing i want to do. She's oblivious to my feelings and pretends like its the only thing i should do.

Meanwhile, I was accepted into the International Baccalaureate program. (All advanced/AP Classes, hardest of hard.) And i'll have about 2-3 hours of homework and studying every night, including weekends and summer homework. In marching band we have to practice for about 3 hours after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

She's already informed about all of this but still doesn't care. i really really reaaallly do not. want to be in band.

Is there any advice to deal with a women that screams at the top of her lungs to get what she wants and doesn't give two shits? :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

2. Candace

Where is your father in the midst of all of this? Talk to a counselor about this situation and have them discuss it with your mom. Also, get a hold of the marching band director as well. Some kid out there who really does want to be a part of the marching band now can't because your mom is forcing you to take his place. Is that fair? No it's not.

3. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Either get your dad involved or dud the tryout if you have one. :grin:

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Unless you go to a school that lets anyone get in to any program they want, you could intentionally do terribly when you try out to get in. Your mother sounds like a very unreasonable person.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It might help to fake sick the morning before the tryout too. You are already taking a lot on with the AP stuff. Try to see if you can tutor a kid once every other week as your "activity" or something. Maybe that or the chess or checkers club. I don't know what...find an easy substitute.

6. Tyrael

Normally I would say having a sit down discussion expressing your feelings on the matter would be the way to go, but your mum seems entirely unreasonable. So you need to involve your dad if you can. If not then you have some choices (most mentioned above).

Express your feelings to the band director and explain you're being forced to do it. He/she may be able to come up with some alternative. Failing that you could mess up the try out as bad as you can so they don't take you.

Also you need to come up with some other extra curricular activity you can use as a replacement to placate your mum. Something less time consuming but will still benefit your development. I don't know, debate team or something? We don't even have that here and assuming from your "mom" usage you're American, so I have no idea what stuff you have there actually lol.

7. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My mom made me join band in 5th grade playing the flute... I wanted to play the drums but it was a no go. I couldn't switch. I got to middle school (6th grade) and found out if I have any "borderline failing" or failing grades they take you out of band... Long story short I flunked and got taken out of band. I had to go to summer school but it was worth it. It may not be the ideal solution but if you want out super super bad it's an option...

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this.