1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of the term Maverique for gender?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by animequeen567, Jul 6, 2014.

1. animequeen567

I would have post this in the gender identity section, but I simply want to discuss it so I thought this would be a better place to post this (If I am wrong for doing so, I'm really sorry, and you may switch it to that section if you wish. I sincerely apologize.)

Anyway, a recent term was coined on tumblr called maverique: maverique(s), What is maverique? (this link explains it) I think this term fits my gender identity best. I'm wondering what everybody else thinks and feels about this term? Does anybody else feel this label fits them as well? I'm curious. Opinions, people XD (please? :slight_smile:)

2. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

Sounds like something out of X-Men

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol. I'm not sure I understand though. Does the term mean to define its own gender outside the binary? Because it doesn't seem any different from being non-gendered unless it has specific traits to make it distinct.

4. animequeen567

5. AlamoCity

The following is not meant to disparage or discredit anyone who identifies with this term.

Honestly, I can't comprehend what it feels like to be a "maverique."

My issue with the word itself stems from the fact that it sounds almost like a form of hyperforeignism that tries to evoke something based on French philosophy with its French- sounding name instead of spelling it as "maverick."

I also take fact that it seems to have been coined on tumblr. Nothing good, save for salacious images and GIFs, come from tumblr :lol:.

I suppose that gender identity does come in a spectrum with an infinite number of possible identities and there are those who are not male, female, male-ish, female-ish, or agender. I fled that the "ishes" would have taken care of those between the male/female and agender spectrums, but I have to understand that human gender identity is far more complex than a simple binary.

Honestly, I think I just hate the "franglais" nature of the word :lol:.

6. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So you're not feminine, masculine, both feminine and masculine, or neither? You're something completely different. So what does being a maverique feel like?

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That Tumblr post sounded distinctly Tumblr Trans***-esque, and what's the point of having a word if nobody but a few Tumblr users knows what it means? I'm not trying to bully you, but Tumblr isn't the best resource for...anything. (I guess there's pictures, special snowflakes, and SJW wankery, but that's not something to brag about.)

And like AlamoCity said, it sounds pretty "franglais". Furthermore, I found the definition extremely confusing.

#7 An Gentleman, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's pretty pretentious. Anyone who speaks French wouldn't have coined that word in good conscience. There's a limit to how much an online community can influence gender perceptions, especially when the terminology chosen has no rational reason behind it.

Seriously, the closest (relevant) term I can think of that's actually French is "non-conformiste." A more translation of "maverick" is "franc-tireur", which, once translated back into English, is more like "mercenary."

I'd say just use a normal, understandable term that doesn't have connotations of guerilla warfare, like gender non-conformist, gender-queer, or agender. Even "gender maverick" would be better than tortured French. To get an English word with no direct equivalent in French and make up a word isn't exactly a useful descriptor.

Comme An Gentlemen et AlamoCity ont dit, c'est trop franglais.

#8 Aussie792, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014