1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Truscum.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Nychthemeron, Jul 7, 2014.

?

Do you agree with their views?

1. Yes.

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No.

11 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Other. / I don't know.

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Discuss.

Okay, let me give two questions, first.

What is truscum to you? Do you agree with truscum?

-----------

Sorry, should've included my views.

I believe you have to have gender dysphoria to be transgender, but that's it. Whether or not that's a truscum view, that's what I'm wondering right now, and I'm also curious to see if we have any truscum or anti-truscum among us.

Also, 'truscum' sounds degrading. Is there really no other way to put it?

#1 Nychthemeron, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that they believe the definition of transsexual, and that you need sex dysphoria to be trans, and consider it a medical condition. I do not believe any of those statements to be true.

3. edgy

edgy Guest

Then what do need to be trans?

4. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
  5. Hexagon

Why do they need a reason comprehensible to you?

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I disagree with their opinion that it is a mental disorder, but I do feel like it's a sort of disorder until it gets treated because it tends to cause distress. I just feel like it's a physical disorder, because the body is the wrong part. I'm not sure if you need dysphoria to be trans, but I'm not sure how you wouldn't get it. They must be lucky I suppose, I'm not trans in the traditional sense, but I still get dysphoria, mostly over masculine body and facial hair.

7. Acm

Acm Guest

I guess I technically agree with them, but I think social dysphoria on it's own can count, which most truscum don't seem to believe as far as I'm aware. I try to stay out of those sorts of fights though. The main problem I have with them is when they try to tell people that they aren't trans, because you have no way of getting in someone's head and knowing whether or not they are trans.

8. edgy

edgy Guest

So this is something I will never understand, apparently

9. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  10. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    henrys house, FAQ

Not sure if it's entirely accurate, but hey, even in a group of people who share a general opinion, there are people who disagree.

11. Techno Kid

Not if you are not willing to learn...

12. justjade

I am in strong disagreement with their opinion. I'm pretty fed up with trans elitists who think that you have to fit into their little boxes to be trans. If anything, being trans is about being outside the box.

As for body dysphoria, I have some, but mine is mostly social. I only wish I had a flat chest. I don't believe I was born into the wrong body. And some people don't. Some trans people actually believe their bodies to be in line with their gender and/or don't see anything wrong with them remaining the way they are. And everyone's transition is different. Some take hormones, some get surgery, some have both. Hell, some have several surgeries. The fact of the matter is that, when it comes to gender, no one can tell you what you are.

13. edgy

edgy Guest

I fucking asked in my first post!

14. Techno Kid

Sorry this might help:
    Transgender is the state of one's gender identity (self-identification as woman, man, neither or both) or gender expression not matching one's assigned sex (identification by others as male, female or intersex based on physical/genetic sex).

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

To some degree, yeah. I believe being trans isn't something you choose, it is a condition improved by transitioning and presenting as one's identified gender, and there has to be a sense of disconnect between one's assigned gender and one's identified gender. I mean, that's gotta be there. Dysphoria comes in different forms. Some people have it to the degree where they have panic attacks from taking showers. Other people experience very little physical dysphoria but have moreso social dysphoria from being referred to and being perceived as the wrong gender. So yeah. For instance, I have body dysphoria but not much bottom dysphoria anymore- it's helped that I pack and use an STP device so I can recreate the functions of what I should've had to the point where I can even have penetrative sex using that entrance where I couldn't have had say, a year ago. Unless there are better options, I don't see myself having bottom surgery any time soon but that doesn't make me less trans versus the guy who gets a full phallo out of the gate.

To add, I had a trans guy friend tell me he didn't think another trans guy we both knew was 'fully trans' ("he's probably non-binary) because this other guy didn't mind having his chest touched. So I definitely disagree with the idea you need full on panicky dysphoria to be trans. Because when he said this I was thinking to myself "well...whoops. I sometimes like having something in my hole, does that mean I'm not trans?" Because honestly, I got to where I am by thinking of my parts as just an alternative construction to what I could've had.

#15 drwinchester, Jul 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2014
  16. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep.

Mostly, yeah. I like having clear-cut definitions for words. The only thing I dislike is the name "truscum", because it sounds too self-deprecating. I think "trans-medicalist" is the more "official" term. However, I'm using the word "trans" to mean people who are transitioning. You know, transsexual people. It's absurd to say a crossdresser must be dysphoric.

Currently, my theory is that the severity/type of dysphoria depends on the person. I'm more likely to believe someone with physical dysphoria, but transitioning might be the solution for a "social dysphoric" as well, which makes things more confusing. I'm not so sure what to think anymore. In the end, as long as lives are being improved and the person isn't a Tumblr Trans*** moron, I'm sure we could work out something.

No dysphoria (neither social nor physical) = not transgender, something else. This is hardly limiting at all, seeing as there are a whole slew of "gender identities" that are not cisgender. Furthermore, just going on someone's word could potentially cause a non-trans person to transition, which would give them dysphoria for real! I'd prefer if that didn't happen. Ever.

#16 An Gentleman, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  17. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

What I don't get is why they call it truscum. I see that scum is in the etymology, but what is the tru part?

18. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with you there. I've read about some people who transitioned and regretted it, because they were actually gay, and they thought they were upset because they wanted to be the opposite sex instead.

I personally fear this may happen to me, but it's probably irrational. I'm not exactly 'straight'.

Well, who knows, really? Only time can tell.

And, while I'm at it, thanks for telling me about the term 'trans-medicalist'. I haven't seen that before.

It comes from a post where an anti-truscum person was talking about them. I'm assuming 'tru' comes from how some truscum people tell others whether they are 'true' transgender people or not.

Don't take my word for it, though. I just thought it seemed logical.

19. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I just looked up what this is supposed to mean, and I'm still rather confused.

I mean, the medical community (in the US at least) just a few years ago released *their* opinion that transsexualism (not all transgender forms of being) has a medical basis...and from what I hear, research is bearing this out more and more. So why the big debate and hateful language toward people who believe what science tells them to be true? Or am I missing something about what people think?

I think anyone labeling or un-labeling another person against their will is making more a statement about their own issues than about the other person's. But I also find a person labeling or not labeling themselves certain ways, *despite* a definition ("oh, I'm into both men and women, and I'm not pansexual, but I don't identify as bisexual, because I just don't like that word"...hello?) to be confusing, and likely confused. Oh well.

20. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I'll say is that if you don't identify with what you were assigned at birth, you are trans. But I also agree that you should at least have some form of dysphoria to claim the term "trans", even if it's mild. In that case, it's present even if it doesn't show itself a lot. But absolutely NO dysphoria at all? That's where things get lost and it becomes weird.