1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Rant] back to school clothing and mother

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iamjustababy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today me and my mother were talking about back to school cloth shopping and I told her the kind of clothing I want, I said I wanted to get most of my clothing out of the guys section. When I said that she was saying things like "you're not a boy, you should be shopping in the lady's section not men's" so when I told her I'd be more comfortable in guys clothing she processed to tell me I'm getting most of my clothing from the lady's section, not men's. We argued for a while and then my younger sister came in, she said she wanted boys clothing and my mother was like "ok sure honey"...So again I told her the type of clothing I wanted, she said I'm not a fricking boy, so I said I can be one if I want! She said I don't have a penis so I can't be a boy. The conversation ended with me very pissed.:tantrum:

Sorry if it's kinda long, I just wanted to rant more then anything.

2. IJustWantToLove

Sorry your mum reacted that way :eusa_snoo

Why is she allright with your sister getting guy's clothes but not you? :eusa_eh:

3. iamjustababy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because she's always been the tomboy, I was always the more girly girl but that was before x.x

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think her mom just said that to her little sister to appease her, atleast thats what i thought, either way seems she was being unreasonable

5. poetofdarkness

So your little sister can wear boys clothes, but you can't? Favouritism much?

6. CommanderMatt

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Gender policing blows. I think you should point out to your mother it's unfair that your sister can get guys clothes but you're restricted to the lady's section.

7. IJustWantToLove

Ok, I don't want to come across insulting, so please excuse me if I got anything wrong regarding gender...
    Sure you can be a boy if you want to, but wearing boy's clothes doesn't necessarily make one a boy, that's two things which don't have to be related. I'm a girl and I identify as such and I, too, feel most comfortable in androgynous or 'masculine' clothes. And it's not because it's guy's clothing, but because I like the style of it and the fit. If your anything like me, you could just point out to her why you like the style better. E.g. the shirts aren't so low cut and end halfway up ones back, the colour suit you better, idk, you have your reasons I guess. So maybe when shopping with your mum, you could simply point out some pieces and explain why you like them, instead of discussing too much beforehand and making her digging her heels in...
    Or you suggest that you would like to go shopping with a friend this year instead of her...
    I don't know if that helps, just my two cents...

8. iamjustababy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not insulting, and yes I know I don't need the clothes to be a boy, but I do feel more comfortable in that type of clothing then in lady's.

Also I've talked more with her, she said I can get a few things, but not everything.

9. IJustWantToLove

I totally understand.
    At least she's ready to meet you halfway, that's something, right?
    And also, fashion is our friend right now, with all those tomboy and androgynous styles, so maybe you'll even find a few pieces in the women's section you feel comfortable with and like.

10. LetsLaugh

Out Status:
    All but family
    I know what you mean! Also, I got into an argument with my mother when she (tried) to say that having a penis made you a guy...

11. Candace

That really blows! But I think that in her mind, how you dress/act is a reflection of her too and doesn't want to be that mother with that kid, which isn't right because she should love you more than the perceived judgment of other people who are less important. It's not fair, obviously, but that's what I imagine her reasoning is. Anyway, she should have told your sister no as well, because that's clearly out of line.

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

*Knock Knock Knock*
    Gender police open up! We know what you did!

Ugh, I hate people like that. So glad my mom has no problem with it.

13. Thedistra

My mother was like that as well. When I was a little kid it was fine that I wore boy's clothes but at puberty she no longer wanted to allow it. She continues to try to change that part of me to this day. It's both sad and amusing to me.

Luckily my dad didn't care at all and would allow me to do as I wished when she wasn't around to put up a fuss.

(sadly I have no advice for it with your mom)

14. Toast8971

That was me and my mom a couple of weeks ago. I can totally relate!

15. CyanChachki

I think you ought to talk to your mom about the fact that she allowed your younger sister to choose boy's clothes while argued with you over the same request. That's very unfair because in reality, boy's clothes and women's clothes all come from the same material, they're all made the same way, just styled differently. Part of me wants to say that maybe your mom knows that something is up and is trying to prevent it. If so, then when you go clothes shopping choose the clothes that look like they could be worn by boys in the girls' section, that way both of you are happy for now.

Trust me, I know the struggle. This is how I dealt with it in my own home at your age and my parents didn't seem to mind it too much. If worse comes to worse, you should probably sit your mom down and have a genuine talk with her on why she's treating you the way she is.