1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Pennsylvania LGTBQ+ friendly overall?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kabuki, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Kabuki

Hey guys! So, I ask this question because I have a friend, she's lesbian, that might move to Pennsylvania and she wanted to know how lgtbq+ friendly it is. I've looked at laws concerning lgtbq+ people and just recently marriage was made legal, but what I want to know apart of, things concerning the law, was how is the people that live there and how accepting they are.

I know this is not something you can give a precise answer, but from your experience, how did you find it? You can also mention if specific areas are more friendly than others, it will be of great help for my friend. :grin:

Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply guys!

2. Candace

I mean, same-sex marriage is allowed in Pennsylvania. I'd say that that's one reason to say that you'll have a positive experience while living there. However, I couldn't imagine that living in rural Blair County, Altoona, is the same as living in urban Philadelphia...

3. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PA is a huge state with a lot of different areas, some of them very liberal, some of them very rural/conservative. So I think it would depend on where you were. Near Philly? Fine. Pittsburgh? Great. But in rural Amish country, things are a lot different. Still, the state has a good number of decent sized cities; even York and Lancaster seemed pretty laid back when I visited. I think it's the rural areas going west and in Appalachia that one might have problems in. But overall, I think it would be better than many states, particularly the south/high plains.

#3 HuskyPup, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  4. Kabuki

Thanks a lot for the response guys! From what I know, she is going to be to east of PA, on the Berks county. Anyway, from what you said it seems it is very accepting of it, I just asked because I found that they don't have laws that protect lgtb+ people when it comes to discrimination, we are not protected in that area.

Anyways, thanks a lot again! If anyone else haves any experience to share about their time there and how they view it, please let me know, I really appreciate it. :grin:

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PA is weird in that some cities/counties have protection laws and others don't. I'm on the eastern part of the state and my city/county has protection laws for trans folk. It's interesting.

I don't know too many queer folk, but being that I'm from a smaller city (compared to say Pittsburgh), we have little to no visibility so it's odd. I haven't met many queer folk, but they're okay.