1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Straight Parents vs Same-Sex Parents

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JStevens96, Jul 8, 2014.

1. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

What are the differences aside from the obvious straight/gay?

What are the advantages? Disadvantages? (I'd assume the child having to deal with homophobia)

Do same-sex couples get along better? Do straight couples?

Or does it not even matter at all and all parents are different?

2. prussianblue100

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter whether two parents are gay or straight. Parents are parents; love is love. However, it can be a little hard on the kid:

1) For example, yes, being bullied and dealing with homophobia from others.

2) They also don't get the privilege of talking about their parents so easily. If they mention they have two moms or dads, people might look at them funny.

3) They will have the urge to have "normal" parents instead of two parents of the same sex. For example, a kid living with two dads would want a mom and vice versa.

That's all I can think of right now. If I come up with anything else, I'll edit this post.

3. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'd say that all parents are different. However, one advantage of same-sex parents might be that their children would be more exposed to different lifestyles, hopefully making them a little more willing to accept others. That's pretty idealistic thinking though, I'm sure some kids would grow up to be homophobic.

4. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

I agree, & wait do you believe they will grow up homophobic (maybe) with same-sex or straight parents?

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Several studies, including a large very recent Australian study I was actually reading about today, have found that children of gay parents are generally happier and better adjusted--on average. A lot of that they chalked up to the fact that the average gay couple with children was in fact happier (as a couple) than the average straight couple with children. I've also thought it might have something to do with the fact that it's pretty difficult for a gay couple to have a kid they didn't want.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    1. well not much really except one is a man and a woman the other is two women or two men .

2. it really depends on the couple as individuals because I've seen some straight couples that do pretty well together same with some same sex couples . but I have seen studies that say same sex couples get along better .

3. People making fun of your kid for having two moms or dads , advantage is having parents that really wanted you and loved you and glad to have you in there lives . If your a lesbian or gay your parents will give you great advice and will be able to help you .

7. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
  8. JStevens96

JStevens96 Guest

9. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    It could happen with kids from either kind of household, but I was referring to it happening with kids from same-sex households.

Allow me to clarify, while I think that most kids who grow up in a same-sex household will be more accepting of LGBT people than their counterparts from opposite-sex households, I imagine there will still be a few kids from same-sex households who end up becoming homophobes as adults, for whatever reasons. I want to emphasize that I think it will be a very small percentage though.

I hope this makes sense, my brain got a bit knocked about yesterday, and I've felt somewhat tired, and less able to focus since...

10. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a parent myself, I'd take issue with anyone saying someone was a better parent than me by virtue if their sexuality or any other trivial factor. You just do the best you can, and try and raise your kids to be as successful and accepting as you can. Sexuality, doesn't even need to factor in it.

Also, the question doesn't factor in single parents like myself. I am doing my best to raise my kids, one who's also diagnosed autistic, and would also take issue with people being labelled better parents because they are in a couple, be straight or same sex or because they are female.

I think each parent should be taken on their own merits and who they are and what they do, rather than what they are and what kind of relationship they are in.

Happy days :slight_smile:

11. Hexagon

It really doesn't matter.