1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I sawed a movie today and I loved it until some brutal gay bashing was showed

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Jul 8, 2014.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought this movie was very intelligent, well written, well acted with a very important message until the only gay character (the other ones referred to him as "the little faggot") is brutally killed by the entire community towards the end :eek: this ruined the whole thing for me and I walked home with a bitter feeling inside

In an earlier post I said how straight people lack of the sensibility that's needed to tell any story involving LGBT characters, they treat them like scapegoats, clowns, accessories, sexless people.

I don't think straight people should write about gay people anymore, they only show their ignorance about the topic....

2. Data

Data Guest

Quite the contrary. The more movies and TV shows made about gays, the more it is grafted into the societal norm. If YOU felt a bitter feeling, so did the other viewers. Hopefully that becomes comonplace. To watch a movie about slaves being whipped and tortured is hard today because it's not something we are ok with. Back then, that was normal everyday stuff.

3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    They were laughing! :dry: well, it was a dark comedy but I still found their laughs disturbing

I was a little bit shocked, I thought gay characters were brutally killed in the 60's movies (by the way the movie I just saw wasn't based on actual events) not in modern films

I was going to give this movie a 9/10 on imdb but now I feel like it only deserves a 7 because there's no justification for a screenwriter and movie director to kill a gay character for absolutely no purpose whatsoever, do you think I'm being biased here?

#3 edy, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think that this is a good thing that they make movies like this. Maybe people will wake up and realize that LGBTQ people face a great deal of discrimination, and that it isn't right. And then maybe they'll do something about it. That being said, I would probably walk out of the movie as soon as they started using hate speech.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

what movee

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with the thread starter maybe straight people should stop writing about gay characters it just seems like nothing but ignorance is just being tossed around .

7. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't want to say its tittle because I already spoiled it :lol:

8. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

spooler toogs?? i am curioos

9. Candace

Well, it was supposed to provoke a feeling and beg for the audience to use how they felt/reacted in order to have what happened in film not happen at all. It gave a clear message and provoked a response. It did its job. Now it is your job to prevent that from happening.

10. Caillin

Im also curious to know what the movies name, can you put a spoiler tag when telling us the name?

11. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    #11 edy, Jul 8, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  12. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    The title is..... (spoilers ahead)

Divine (1998) and I provided a link of the DVD so you can watch it and judge by yourselves

13. kem

kem

it's not even on imdb >__>

also I think straight people should write about gay people, definitely. Any exposure is good exposure, but I think "sexually promiscuous" characters tend to be either evil or very stereotyped so I'm kind of wishing that would change.

Also, >sawed, really?

14. LiquidSwords

Couldn't comment for the film you're talking about because I haven't seen, but I don't have a problem with a gay character getting called a faggot or getting killed per se, it just depends on the context. If the film sets it up for the audience to sympathise for the gay character than I'd say that's a good thing, as it's the homophobia that's shown to be the unacceptable behaviour, not the homosexuality.

15. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people

Yes, it is! try its original title

#15 edy, Jul 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014