1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McCain's pick....A woman????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by beckyg, Aug 29, 2008.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This has to be the most interesting political race ever! Wow, my Dad is probably flipping out right now. I should call him and rub it in a little. :grin:

2. EM68

Yes McCain picked a woman indeed. She is Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska. I think its a brilliant choice. It is going to shake up the whole presidential race.

3. Eponine

It is certainly a very interesting choice. She's younger than Obama, which I find strange considering how McCain had campaigned about how Obama is lacking experience.

4. Nitro

BBC news link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7588435.stm

Funny, I was just wondering "what if" McCain were to choose a female running mate. Hopefully this will even out vote casting based solely on the "wow, we are making history" factor so that this election can be more about the issues.

Thinking of the isssues, how did abortion become an issue? Hmmpft. some liberal media (!)

5. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Shes a woman which is great...but she is so anti-gay rights it makes me sick.

6. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Who is she? I will have to look her up. Is this him deliberately reaching out to some of the Clinton supporters (different political stances notwithstanding)? Or is that completely irrelevant do you think? I suppose it makes him seem more modern or whatever. But I don't know too much about American politics...or her...I must look this up...

7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    wow, making a grab for the pissed Clinton fans much? It was a very smart move sadly :frowning2:

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's quite an interesting presidential race. Regardless of who wins, history is going to be made! But I do hope that the Democrats win....

9. EM68

This is definitely a grab for Clinton supporters who are so mad that she is not on the ticket may not vote. Also she is the only one on both tickets with executive experience. From what I heard is that she is a reformer taking on old republican bosses in Alaska.

10. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I can't believe there's an African-American and a woman -- and we'll get at least one in the White House. This race just got a whole lot closer....

11. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Historic or not, I'm not sure about either one now :frowning2: . I wanted McCain to pick Romney due to his excellent economics D: .

12. Steam Giant

For those seeking more info on this mystery woman:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

And wow! Way to completely pull an unpredictable move! She wasn't even close to the potential running mates people have been predicting! It certainly is an interesting choice, and seems appropriate for this interesting election. The feminist in me is tempted to get a girl in office :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but heh, how could I say Joe Bidden, raised in my place of residence for the past 15 years, doesn't net more points on my likable meter ^^

13. Steam Giant

As an article I read recently put it, Romney is an "anti-union job killing machine." He's tried to get into office before, but this fact has made him exceedingly unpopular with the working/middle class.

14. silentsound

Palin is a very interesting choice. Her plus sides would be that she is a woman, which, although I am happy for the girl power effect, is bad for us lefties. By choosing a woman McCain made a smart move towards winning over the bitter Hillary Clinton supporters who are threatening to screw over the democratic party by voting republican. She also checks a lot of boxes as far as heightening the conservative appeal of his campaign: very conservative, wife, mother, has a son in the military, strong pro-life advocate, strongly opposed to gay marriage, etc. But is she really ready? My best guess says no. She is younger than Obama and a hell of a lot less experienced, which takes the "he can't lead he's not experienced at all!" argument off the table. Her speech this morning showed her inexperience, she made herself look like a nervous high school student in front of a public speaking class. Not to mention she has absolutely no foreign policy experience, which I cannot wait for her to debate Joe Biden on. Hell, her political career started in the PTA. Given, she is a governor which is the closest thing to being a president, but less than one term? Fresh blood is one thing, but that is pure inexperience. I will be interested to see how she does, and I am happy to see such a groundbreaking race unfolding with a woman in the number two spot on the republican side. Really, I think McCain might just have shot himself in the foot with this one, although she does help his campaign in a lot of areas. So we will have to see, this is getting so exciting!

15. Steam Giant

Source Source

Source Source

Hmm!

16. Reaper

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Lol reaper, <3 failboat :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: .

Ya, I'm starting to realize that McCain will probably win over all of the Clinton voters now :astonished: .

18. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a huge Hillary supporter and I'm voting for Obama, not McCain. :slight_smile: Woman or not, Sarah Palin is no Hillary Clinton.

19. panda

I think it's a move of desperation by the Republicans .

20. Nodnarb

EXACTLY! And I pray that it won't work.

Palin is ultra-conservative. Pro-life, anti-gay marriage, and in favor of creationism being taught in schools. This is clearly a move to get support from the right-wing and try to grab disgruntled Hilary supporters. But Palin is pretty much opposite of Hilary in terms of her views(as is McCain). Hopefully they are able to see this...

This also gets rid of McCain's favorite argument; that Obama isn't experienced enough. Palin is about the least experienced choice he could have made.

I'm looking forward to the VP debate now though, especially when foreign policy is debated. She isn't going to do well against Biden.

This has just been a crazy election season....but either way, history will be made.