1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationships

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Ever wonder if romance is really worth it? The rate of failure is incredibly high, and few enough people actually seem happy. You might say that a relationship makes your life more fulfilling, but there are other things in live could give you that, and what does that really mean if you're happy enough without? Maybe it's as simple as not missing what you've never had. Is it really a good idea to open that can of worms?

As seems to have been a problem lately, please note I'm not arguing against relationships. Just wondering.

2. Yosia

Im in one for like a week now and i love him ^.^
    I really like relationships and love :3

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's important to distinguish between love and romance. You can be romantic and not be in love, romance is an attitude, a way of showing affection. Love is a verb and runs much deeper.

4. Hexagon

Yes, you're right about that. Love can be platonic. A good example is the platonic partnerships formed by aromantic asexuals, I guess.

5. kem

kem

I do feel like there is a void in my life, so to speak. It doesn't affect my general level of happiness. My outlook on life is pretty Buddhist — ie, it is fleeting.
    But I do, occasionally, find myself feeling a strong sense of loneliness. There are a lot of things I wish I could share with a significant other.

6. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It won't kill me to try.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

To use the cheesiest cliche I could think of, It is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.

8. TheStormInside

A lot of people want relationships, but some just don't and that's fine. I think it's not good to avoid a relationship for fear of it failing, however, just like most things in life. If it's something you really want, I think it's something you should go for. If not, there are many other ways to find fulfillment in life. Work, hobbies, volunteering, and so on. For a very long time I had no desire to be in a relationship, myself, but I feel differently now and desire one quite strongly, so I can understand both perspectives and both are totally valid, though for some reason people can give you a lot of flack if you choose to remain single for long periods of time.

9. Candace

I mean, I like the idea of having companionship. It's a nice feeling knowing that there is someone out there who loves you and has decided to spend his time with and no one else in the world. I think it is definitely worth it, because you only have one life and it beats sitting around in your bedroom self-loathing because you're lonely. Go out there and find someone special! Remember, it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. :slight_smile:

10. Hexagon

Yeah, but I'm not saying be lonely. There are other types of companionship around.

And I don't appreciate overused meaningless cliches :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

11. Cass

I am a cheesy sap.
    There I admit it.
    I like romance, I like being in relationships and I fall in love way to easily.
    But to me it's worth it every time. You get life experience, both good and bad, in every relationship you enter into, and every one that fails

12. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Sometimes I feel that way too, at the same time I like romance as well. I usually say I prefer being single though since I feel it suits me better; more freedom and independence that comes with being single and so many take it for granted. With that being said, I'd get in a relationship if it was with the right person. But I also feel like most people obsess too much over it and end up getting heartbroken because they were desperate to seek it out instead of waiting for it to come to them while enjoying being single in the meantime.

13. Acm

Acm Guest

I sort of feel like this, it seems like most, if not all of the couples I've known have split up. Isn't the divorce rate over 50%? (I might be wrong but that's what I heard). It doesn't seem like love is very successful to me...but it doesn't hurt to try. It's better to have the experience than not even try at all.

14. CharlieChalk

I've gone 23 years without one (a proper one anyways). Sometimes I'd kill for one. Other times I think I'm fine by myself. I'll let you know how that works out :lol:

15. lowkey

lowkey Guest

i personally prefer to be alone 70 percent of the time. i cant da with a significant other all the time. they would think im a bad boyfriend. so for me its just not worth it in the end. id rather be single. even tho i rarely hook up. i just think people become to lovey dovey to quick. i need a slow moving relationship

16. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its interesting because in the past 2 weeks I've become so desperate for one, I have never really had one TBH, but lately I feel like everybody's got one and it's just gets me down, especially as I've become regular on Youtube; Matthew Lush, Sebastian Rhodes etc, etc #jealous

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

the depression and soul consuming loneliness without makes me want to try

but i honestly cant imagine anyone ever wanting to date me so arrrgggfhhhhhhhdhdhdhd gonna live with dogs forever and be alone and sad

#17 asdfghjk, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2014
  18. Foxface

I am in love and in a relationship...but I am very much into whatever makes someone happy is what makes them happy...period

I hate when people deem it possible to decide for someone else whether love or romance or relationships are neccessary

so all in all...for me yes...for others...not my business to decide

But as I have stated before...if my partner goes, I am done

19. Hexagon

I'm not saying that at all. Just wondering personally.

20. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Understanding how it works helps and I think you already know that. "Love" is chemical, like everything else. When you are prepared for it to wear off (after 3 years is when it stops being addicting and then you really have to put the work in :lol:slight_smile: it is easier to handle when it "fails".

I don't think because a relationship doesn't last forever, that the time and effort spent in it is meaningless. I have loved several men very deeply. Did it last? No. Can I still claim feelings for them? No save for one. That one I will probably always love but never be in a relationship with again - and that's okay. It doesn't make me sad or regretful. We are still friends and I cherish the memories.

Maybe I feel this way because I've always looked at it from that perspective. So what if it doesn't last forever? Even if you spend a year loving someone, it's a wonderful thing. Breakups can be difficult and often times they hurt, but that just says to me that it was worth it.