1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else think about death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by robotman, Jul 10, 2014.

1. robotman

I have been noticing lately that when I am alone or let my thoughts come together this is something that goes round and round in my head. Like maybe there is something after death that is better then being here. I don't by any means have a bad life but I just feel genuinely unhappy, lost and unmotivated 90% of the time and I don't think that is how life is meant to be lived.

I feel generally lost and like I am living for the sake of living and not because I actually have a reason to live. I don't know what career path to go into, I have friends but I don't feel like they get me (I think I need new friends but don't know where to start). I'm not working and don't just want to do anything, I'm not at Uni and I don't have a partner (which is something that I want badly but I don't want to do online dating, I'm not out yet to further complicating things and also I don't know where to meet people IRL) so its annoying.

At first I thought maybe I am thinking like this because I want to escape reality, I do daydream alot and have alot of fantasies about what I would like to happen, so maybe I am just thinking of death as an escape to start anew. I think it all boils down to me just feeling lost and feeling alone. Do you any of you feel like this? Or know how to overcome it? (I've been counselling and that does not help at all, well atleast not for me) Or do I just sound like I am rambling on about nothing?

Sorry btw, I don't want to sound like I am just moaning.

2. Hexagon

Occasionally. I find the concept of not existing intriguing. I'm happy with reality though.

3. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah. It's okay. Don't apologize.

I have a really nice life. Big house, nice car, good friends, amazing family. But this body I have seems to talk it all away.

I blame myself, too. Why can't I just accept my body? Why do I have to make such a big deal out of it?

It feels like I'm just digging my own grave.

Eventually, the feeling got so bad that I wanted to see a therapist so they could help my transition. But my parents are set on conversion therapy, not transition therapy. So I decided to call it off, even though I felt bad about their wasting money.

And, you know what? After that, I felt so much happier and so much more free. Yeah, I still get dysphoria sometimes, but I also have a more optimistic mindset.

It's a really stark comparison. A few months ago, I couldn't do anything but lie in my bed and cry. Now, I'm extremely motivated.

So, what I'm saying is, it can get better. Follow your gut when you're making decisions.

Seriously. I'm a weakling, physically and emotionally, but somehow, I managed to get through. If I can do it, you can do it.

Don't give up. It hurts more. (*hug*)

4. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Honestly, yes I have thought about death and that was because I had lost a loved one last year. Everything in my life seemed pointless-graduating high school, uni plans for next year, life in general and even now, I sometimes have moments where I think,
    "Fuck this."

How do I overcome it?
    I guess I just make goals for myself so that when I finish one, I feel damn proud of myself and then make another to feel that feeling of accomplishment again. Like right now, my enduring goal is to lose weight and I'm pretty sure you can't do that when you're dead.
    Plus, I also open up to people when I'm feeling lost or down and the people I talk are the ones I trust alot. Also, going for a walk, watching a heartfelt movie e.g. Fiddler On The Roof gets me crying all the time.., OR just doing something random like hopping on a train (after buying a ticket lol) or getting some sushi has a way of lifting my spirits even but a little.
    I hope you feel better! *hugs*

5. kem

kem

I love existing too much to consider the alternative.
    I wouldn't want to live forever, but something along the lines of 200-500 years would be cool.

6. Candace

I do! I mean, like you said, that fascinates me. I do agree that I'd like to live to say 600 years old, like they apparently did in Bible. 80-90 is too short :/.

7. Yes, I do, but it's normally only when I'm feeling suicidal. Since I'm in online school and not around people who make me feel even more lonely than I already am for 8 hours a day, it's been better. I think when things get better or when I don't procrastinate or not around people a lot or not hearing an anti-gay message at church or not having to take some huge test - Those are the times when I'm really not suicidal unless I'm still empty regardless of not having anything dramatic going on, which has happened quite a bit this year.

But honestly, I don't want you to think about death because you are still a wonderful man and don't think about all the things you couldn't do, but think about the things you can - Which is probably almost anything! I understand that sometimes it can feel like you are just breathing instead of being alive, but maybe try to do more things that make you feel alive. Maybe do something fun and energetic and take a break from just doing what you are used to doing. That might help a little bit.

I don't have much advice on this topic, but please do stay strong and don't give up! Life gets better and one day, you'll see that :slight_smile:

8. Greeley

I occasionally do that too.

I used to do it all the time when i was a teenager. I looked really deep into "Who am i?" "Why am i me?" and i feel like im not incontrol of my body, im just a little small thing looking through the eyes of a suit of meat and it all feels weird and meaningless. Kind of like when you've just woken up and feels like your mind has just "reset" and you wonder where you are and whats going on......

I do it less often now, and i honestly think that when you die, its like going sleep without the dream and you just don't wake up. Kind of like those sleeps where it felt like you closed your eyes for about 5 seconds and then its morning. But instead you just DONT wake up after 5 seconds.

9. UsernamePending1

Vancouver[Mon-Fri]-Calgary[Sat-Sun], Canada
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only think of death when I drive.. Though it sometimes may stem from depressions, more often than not, its reflective of my bad driving skills :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. wolf of fire

I have how I want to die planned, get old, get really ill, go to Switzerland and go on the planned euthanasia roller coaster to tell life you can't fire me I quit (I don't want to die but it is inevitable)

11. Greeley

I read somewhere that it is very unhealthy if we do not think about death. It could be a sign of insanity. I can't remember what its called but it was something like Alive Delusion or something... Basically its where someone is so unthreatened or unscared by death that they feel the need to be alive. Which causes them to do crazy/insane things (eg... blow stuff up, killing spree ect...) and you cannot come back from it unless something traumatic happens to you.

Something to do with a chemical in your brain that is released and it just doesn't stop producing it and makes you "numb" to a certain extent. Horrible mental illness to have but it is traceable.

12. Acm

Acm Guest

I think about death occasionally. Sometimes I think about killing myself, sometimes it's just wondering about randomly dying (ex. I could be swimming then wonder what would happen if I got too tired to keep going and drowned). When I was a kid for some reason I was convinced that I wouldn't live very long. Part of it for me is I have really severe food allergies, and have had serious reactions several times so I think about dying a lot whenever I eat, and other times it's just depression/anxiety playing tricks on my mind. I usually try to distract myself, or make a mental list of things that make me happy.

13. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah it's never nice to think about it; it's a reality. People die. We will all die. I could die tomorrow, my dad could die tomorrow. But dwelling on this reality isn't worth it.

14. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel a bit like this sometimes. NOT blowing stuff up and going on killing sprees, but just feeling the need to 'feel alive.' At these times, I just sing really loudly and break out into spontaneous dance.

When I think about death, I'm mostly apathetic. The only thing I'm scared of is if I die a slow, painful death, or if I die suddenly without the chance to say goodbye, which is probably a very common fear.

15. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Even thought i believe in afterlife, this belief is not100%firm. I usually keep an open mind, i dont like irrationally clinging to an idea, belief, concept...

So , sometimes i think of the possibility of dissapearing into inexistence, and this scares me.

16. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not often. I'll be dead forever after I pass away so why waste the previous time I gave in life worrying or thinking about it.

Happy days :slight_smile:

17. robotman

I have just realised today that I do actually not want to be alive... Although I don't want to die, I definitely do not want to be on earth, I wish that there was another place where I could go to... I know that may sound weird but I lately everything is just becoming abit too much for me. Just life in general is weighing me down. I really don't know what to do. I know I am usually bubbly and try to make jokes around here but I don't know about anything anymore.

18. Maxis

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm depressed as well, and I can relate to a lot of what OP and some other people are saying. I've felt suicidal out of loneliness, anxiety, depression, anger, solipsistic feelings, a lot of things. Sometimes I don't understand the point of life, a lot of times I try to escape it via daydreaming as well. But I'm seeing a therapist, and working towards recovery, and I don't quite know when everything will be better, but I'm just going to keep on keeping on until it somehow does.

And sometimes, that's the best thing you can do. Things may not be great right now, but who's to say they won't get better? Truthfully, is it really truly impossible that there isn't more to life than this?

Sometimes what helps for me is to try something new, pick up a new hobby. Give yourself a reason to be creative, productive, something that makes you feel 'alive.' Find a new game, a new activity, and try it out. And it just might become a passion, and it'll grab you, and you'll feel so much better when you just stick to it.

From a more philosophical standpoint, I tend to think about death even when I'm not feeling so depressed because of wonder about the afterlife, what death feels like, and the meaning of it. And through that, with a clearer mindset, I came to the realization quite a while ago that life can't exist without death, and life doesn't have any meaning if there was no such thing as death. Life has meaning because there's an end to life, and it's not eternal.

So, in a way, death is somehow a positive thing. It creates life, and everything we believe that life is. That, somehow, is a beautiful thing.

19. Foxface

I don't mind death, I don't even mind suffering...it's the concept on non-existence I cannot wrap my mind around

20. the haunted

I used to think about death all the time. I'm happier these days, so not so much anymore. Being an atheist, death makes me really really sad. It's hard for me to move on when someone dies. While some people believe they will see their loved ones someday when they join them in the afterlife, I don't have that luxury. I would love to believe all that, but I just don't. I'm a truth seeker.

As far as suicide goes, I don't think it's selfish at all unless you have a dependent like a child. I don't think someone should have to live for someone other than themselves. You shouldn't have to keep going if you are so miserable just because other people want to see you here. Probably an unpopular opinion, but that's how I feel.

I've been very suicidal before, but these days I'm just like, "What the hell else do I have to do? I'm pretty content with life, so why not stay? It's not like there's something else waiting for me if I die."