1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which parent is more homophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Martin, Aug 29, 2008.

?

Which parent is more homophobic?

1. Father

53.0%
  2. Mother

12.0%
  3. Both

12.0%
  4. Neither

22.9%
  1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After reading all the threads on here it seems that the majority of people fear their dads as reacting worse when coming out. I'm curious to know which parent is more homophobic in your family, so answer the poll! :grin:

You can answer whether you're out to them or not. Most peeps will have an idea whether both of them are, whether one is, or whether neither of them are.

For me it was my dad. :dry:

Edited: I've included a both (incase they're both equally as bad) and a neither option (incase both are accepting). :slight_smile:

#1 Martin, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Tom

Tom Guest

my parents r strange when it comes to sexuality, my mum is fine with gay ppl and my dad doesn't really like them but when i came out to them it was my dad that accepted it and moved on within minutes basically and my mum took it the hardest and was the more kinda homophobic one.

so i voted for both, but maybe neither would of been a better option.

3. Nodnarb

I chose neither, because they are both accepting of me. But, I think my dad is less comfortable with gay-related things in general.

4. XXX Lou XXX

I voted neither because my mum's not really homophobic at all and i've never met my dad so I don't know...

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

My dad definitely had more problems than my mum. Mum tried to accept and did (mostly) with the help of my sister. Dad ignored it for ages and began to reluctantly accept it once he me Markie. Ultimately he came round but it took a long time.

6. lexie

i cant know for sure which would take the news worst cause im not out, but neither are homophobic.

id bet money my mum would be pretty accepting of me (her brother's gay and she's close to him etc), she's a pretty accepting and open person.

but my dad, im not sure, i would never call him homophobic, but he's made one or two comments in my company that make me think he isnt too accepting/comfortable with the issue. and out of my mum and dad, im actually closest to my dad, even though i live with my mum, im a bit of a 'daddy's girl' so his reaction worries me more. i think he'd freak to be honest. his side of the family is much more old fashioned and stuff than my mum's side.

#6 lexie, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Oh crap....I screwed up the poll. I meant to check neither and I checked both. I was fine. Adam's Dad had a harder time but I wouldn't call it homophobic. It was just a lack of understanding.

8. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well my dad is ok with gay people, but he sees them all as stereotypes. And is really bothered that I am gay, but it is a much more of an uncomfortable sort of thing and he does say that he loves me no matter what.

My mom on the other hand is more supportive of me as a person, but she is really deosn't like my gay friends and hates the idea of me being around other gay people. She seems to think it is there fault that I am gay so she tells me that I'm not aloud to hang out with them so I have to hang out with them in secret.

So my mom is more passive aggressive, while my dad is much more upfront about his insecurities. Which one is more homophobic? well neither are too bad but to say there aren't homophobic at all would be wrong so I just went with both.

9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's always the straight people...

:grin: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. tylerksub

tylerksub Guest

They both hate it but my Father is the only one that I fear.

11. pirateninja

My mom was great with it. Although she asked me whether it was a phase, she did take me seriously when I told her I was sure it wasn't. And although I probably told her too soon, as I myself hadn't fully come to terms with my sexuality, we both matured and we can talk aboot it with ease. We even watch stuff like Brokeback Mountain and that John Barrowman: Why I'm Gay sort of stuff together. When I first came out to her that would have been a huge deal, but now we just smile and discuss it as if it's the weather. And although, like I said, I wasn't fully accepting of myself when she first found out, she would always reassure me that she loved me no matter what and told me aboot some gay friends she had. She probably got me to accept myself.

My dad on the other hand; although recently we've got talking more and he has said that he's not ashamed of me, it took him longer than mom. He used to make gay jokes when someone camp was on TV or something (although he did stop after I came out, something I was very thankful for), and after I came out the tension could be cut with a knife if a gay topic came up. He just ignored it, said nothing. Which is preferable to blatant homophobia I guess, but I could tell he wasn't completely happy with it, sometimes answering for me if the subject of "Why haven't you got a boyfriend yet?" came up, or fixing me with a wary glance. Like I said, he's coming round more and more, but it did take him longer than mom.

12. smilealways

smilealways Guest

When dad found out, he told me that he would be fine with it if I was gay. I dont really know what mum thought because I never talked to her about it but I think mum wasnt too happy and it took a year or two for her to get over it. It has been about 6 years since they found out. We havent talked about it since and I wonder if they still remember. lol

13. ausdtc

I answered Dad. He's not exactly homophobic, but he's the one I was more worried about coming out to. Also, have only seen/heard from him the once since I came out to him.. That could just be me being paranoid, he could just be busy I guess.. I should contact him some time :slight_smile:

14. Joey

tiny tiny University in northern Maryland
    ...I have no idea. My dad keeps on trying to get me to date one of my friends, and thinks there may be something between the two of us (he says that everytime I walk into a room, Claire basically lights up; which could be possible, I wouldn't know since I wasn't around her before I came in the room...) My mom and I really haven't spoken much about it... it's not like she's avoiding it, but relationships and stuff isn't really anything she talks about at all... before and after I came out.

Long explanation short: could be both, could be my dad, could be neither; I don't know.

15. Tokarov

Tokarov Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dad. My mom probably already guesses I am, but she has spoken about how she supports gay people and such...my dad is, though, a little...homophobic.

If I did tell him, I get the feeling that our relationship wouldn't be as good as it now.

16. Brandford

My dad, hes homophobic, my moms a little homophobic too but only twords gays guys but not lesbians since my sister is a lesbian

17. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They're both fine with it. My dad's a little less comfortable about it, he's never spoken to me about it, but that could just be because I'm closer to my mum in general and she's the one I talk to more. Dad is about the most laid-back man in the world, there's very little that bothers him, and Mum is very supportive.

18. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My parents are better then most when dealing with homosexuality but I think but my dad is worse then my mom

19. Tim

Tim

I had to choose neither... my mom was accepting despite being a minister, and my dad passed away before I could come out.

20. Derek the Wolf

Definitely father. I told my ma and she didn't really care. I will not tell my father for at least another 5 years, because I know he would disown me instantly. He's the biggest bigot I know.