1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else never used or quit Facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyPup, Jul 11, 2014.

?

Has anyone else never used or has quit using Facebook?

1. I've never used Facebook

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  2. I quit using Facebook.

15 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. I plan to quit using Facebook.

7 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK, this will sound weird, but I've never used Facebook. I always found it sort of creepy and invasive. I like forums, Skype and other things, but I've never set up a facebook account, and can't see myself doing so. My mate has one, so sometimes, he'll relate something a mutual friend has to share, but that's as much as I need. It's so weird to me, how much time some people seem to spend on it.

So!

Any others out there who never used it, or have quit, or plan to quit?

#1 HuskyPup, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  2. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

I deactivate it sometimes whenever I hit depression lows and I feel like it fuels it, or if I'm having a hard time job-hunting.... or if I get paranoid that employers are hunting me down on it. I rarely use it anyway so I don't miss it and it's actually nice knowing people can't keep up with you on it unless they actually just ask you.

3. Candace

I think that I use Facebook way less than I did in the olden days (4-5 years ago :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I think that it's great to talk to people who are far away (granted, you have to download Skype and everything, despite it being free as well), and you can set up events with friends, like birthday parties, event nights, etc. I like it for that reason. When I was president of my Spanish club on campus, I had to use Facebook in order to reach out to potential new members, update info and satisfy the members that we did have. So, it depends on what you need it for.

4. Higs

I didn't use it until I had to create one for my job.

5. Hexagon

Does "I haven't opened the site this year, but I technically have an account" count?

Shouldn't the poll have an option for those who still use fb?

6. I went sort of halfway, I guess?

I had a Facebook with a lot of my info and tons of 'friends' but I deleted it completely from the site for a while.

Then I started a new one, without my last name, connected to an email that doesn't have my name either and I use for nothing else. I have only a few friends that I know in real life and I don't have much in the way of personal information on there.

I keep an account there because it's easy to link interesting things to my friends that way and also to plan parties and things with them. For example: my friend is having a grad party and wanted to send all the info out to people through Facebook. that way, I can get the information easily by being invited to the event, but I really don't use Facebook for anything else.

7. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, I really should have made more options, come to think of it...

I guess almost everyone seems to have an account, these days, even if not widely used. I guess I'm good at resisting certain things, or just plain stubborn. For instance: I've also never been in a Wal-Mart store, or bought anything from them. I'm odd like that: I'll decide I don't like something, and avoid it 100%.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had to refrain from voting because I do none of the above. I get on facebook every day if I can :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but I don't consider it problematic. It's the best way to keep in touch with people I otherwise would most likely not have contact with, and I'm also in a number of groups. It's most of the socialization I'd ever want hehe.

9. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Never had facebook. Honestly, it never struck me as something I'd get into... I'm not particularly interested in what everyone else is doing (/pretending to have done) unless they're good friends, and those I can talk to through skype or text :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. And I honestly don't know what I'd post about on there.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I still use it. But...I've had limits on my use. I don't have many "friends" on Facebook, for example, and I have no delusions about privacy. But it's a nice way to stay in contact with a few people. I'm in better contact now with some relatives than I was for the last 20-plus years.

11. LiquidSwords

I go on fb most days. I do find it quite useful for keeping up to date with people who you don't see irl very much, and if you have groups set up for things like your classes at uni or sports teams, that can be really useful for easily communicating with a specific, but large number of, people.

Facebook chat is really useful as well; I use that as often as I do text. Also, if I want to contact someone whose number I don't have that's made possible with fb messenger, which can be very useful.

So yes, I do use fb and I'm not quitting!

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 12:07 AM ----------

:icon_bigg I actually find watching people fabricate a fb persona which isn't really them irl to be quite interesting!

Honestly I barely ever post statuses or even pictures. Occasionally I'll post a video to someone else's timeline but mostly I just comment on other people's posts. Biggest draw for me is groups and chat like I say.

12. PICollins91

I'd say the only two reasons my Facebook is still up is for my Mom's games and to keep up with movie distributors. The delete page is bookmarked though so there is an exit plan.

13. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Addicted to it. Not leaving ever. I was one of the first to be on it over 7 years ago when it was college people only. Privacy settings are your friend. :slight_smile:

14. tulipinacup

I do have facebook but it's mainly for the reason of keeping in touch with people. I deactivated it many times and modified the privacy because I just can't deal with people inviting me to their games.

15. Candace

It's weird. My brother hasn't used Facebook in about 3-4 years. So when I go on his wall, there are birthday posts back to back from both 2012 and 2013. Nothing in between. But he just says that he has no reason for it. However, like I stated before, it depends on what I have to use it for. Originally I used Facebook only for communicating with friends. That has moved to texting/Skype. I really only use Facebook in order to find about events, parties, and when I'm the president/member of an organization, helping organize it with Facebook's aid (reaching out to people, posting events, etc.)

16. Acm

Acm Guest

I deactivated my account because it made me even more depressed. I didn't use it for years until a few months ago when I made a new account, with only about 11 friends. I barely ever use it

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm planning on quitting but my high school friends keep asking me to chat , I want to,quit
    I don't like it,because,it's,such a popularity contest about who can out post the other on their status. Plus people want to know details of your,life.

#17 stocking, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  18. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I used to use facebook, but I haven't in a long time. I guess I just got bored of it.

19. person57

I actually plan to quit it.

20. Ticklish Fish

i use facebook now to follow webcomics and comedy sites like collegehumor and cracked.com....

ok, mostly webcomics