1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of your parents is more excepting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edgy, Jul 11, 2014.

?

Whose more excepting?

1. Grandfather

5.4%
  2. Grandmother

10.7%
  3. Father

41.1%
  4. Mother

64.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. edgy

edgy Guest

you can vote for more than one...
    yeah but, who was more excepting of you when you came out?

#1 edgy, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  2. UsernamePending1

Vancouver[Mon-Fri]-Calgary[Sat-Sun], Canada
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad. My mom still doesn't accept it, so I just pretend it doesn't exist.

I've been on one date in 2 years, so it's a good system :slight_smile:

3. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  4. IceKunoichi

My parents are accepting.My grandparents don't know.I am not sure if they ever will,I don't wanna give them a shock.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My dad but he's kinda ignorant he thinks lesbians can be cured by dick .

6. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

My father... My mom thinks I don't know what I like so she doesn't really accept me liking women. :/ However if my brother was answering this he would say our mother is more accepting because our father hates gay men. :c

7. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    My mom is, my dad is a little bit ignorant and intolerant (funny though, because I suspect he's bisexual himself)

My grandparents are the only relatives that wouldn't accept my sexuality (although they know for sure)

8. Kenzie

I'm not out yet but I know exactly how my parents will react. My mom won't have a problem with it at all, she'll probably be a little shocked though. My dad will be accepting but he's a little homophobic so he'll be uncomfortable with it.

9. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    My dad. He makes slightly homophobic jokes sometimes, but he doesn't deny my sexuality as much as my mom does. Whenever I talk about dating with my mom she always tries to convince me to date guys. It's horrible.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My now deceased grandmother thought I was gay but never talked to me when she was alive. She did talk to my gay uncle; they both felt the same way. Had I known, I would have come out to her. But it was 2001 when she passed and I was 18 and in the Christian school bubble, so coming out was unthinkable at the time. I was completely unaware that my uncle had come out to her, and she was cool with it. I like to think she looks out for me. So far she has...I love you Grandma, always. *cry* I wish you could be here.

#10 QueerTransEnby, Jul 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  11. Acm

Acm Guest

My mom. I'm not out but I know what both of them think of LGBT people and while my dad isn't super homophobic he's definitely a lot less accepting than my mom

12. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother was completely fine, although initially worried whether I would be happy/safe. Dad has been great, but I still think it makes him a little bit uncomfortable.

13. iHateThinking

My mother/father don't mind at all. I discuss it with my mother sometimes just in general. I've even talked about attractive women with my father before. Both of them are pretty accepting. They're more worried about me making sure I have a good future.
    My grandparents, well, my grandfather's more okay with it than my grandmother (she gets kind of awkward if anything related to that is brought up), but she accepts it just the same (I have several gay and bisexual cousins too, so I guess that's something). If they have any qualms, they don't make it known.

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

My grandparents for sure. Grandma's still working on the pronouns but she's accepting of my transition and wants what's best. My grandfather knew I was trans before I ever told him and he's so far been cool with it. Again, pronouns and name- haven't had a chance to let him know but he's never told me off for being trans.

I have a feeling my dad would've accepted me in time but I'll never know now. My mom...? I'm hoping eventually she'll come around but honestly? I've given up hoping that's any time soon and as long as she can tolerate me one day, I can live with that.

15. Yosia

Im not out to either but i KNOW mum will be more accepting.

16. AlamoCity

Well, my grandparents were basically all born in their teens, twenties, or early thirties. That means that, while I did meet them all when I was younger, their faculties are no longer there. My paternal grandfather passed in 2001; my paternal grandmother is senile with Alzheimer's; my maternal grandfather is in the middle stages of dementia. The only grandparent with use of mental faculties left is my maternal grandmother, and she probably doesn't know what "gay" is (she is also very religious). I don't know how it would have been if my grandparents were younger and had lived to see me date a guy. They were/are all undoubtedly polite, but that doesn't mean "accepting." They would probably have no "real" problem having me and a date over for dinner, but it would not be the same as if I brought a girl.

My mom knows I'm gay but hasn't said anything. We cried when I came out (never said "I'm gay" but rather, that I "like guys"). She said she only wanted me to be healthy and to live a good and honorable life. So, I take that as tacit approval (she is somewhat religious and those beliefs are incongruous with the "homosexual lifestyle").

I haven't told my dad I'm gay, but I figure it might happen when I'm dating. I will probably him, "Dad, I'm seeing someone and I would like to bring them over for dinner. Is that OK?" He will be shocked at first because I've NEVER dated. When he says OK, I will then say, "His name is John. Is that OK?" He will know what that means and will probably take a while to digest the news. It can go one of two ways. Either I A) wish I had upped his life insurance policy amount :lol:, or B) end up with him hugging me and telling me that he loves me no matter what ). I expect it will end up being more like the latter, but I can't be certain.

This is all theoretical seeing that I've never really been "actively gay" with either parent. All said, I think my mom will be the most accepting.

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both of my parents are 100% accepting. But I'd have to say my mother because she brings up me being gay in actual conversation more, and asks about how to treat certain situations.

18. justjade

I guess, by default, my dad would be since he's the only one left alive on this list. But I don't expect him to be OK with me being trans.

19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad. He really doesn't seem to care at all. My mom tries to be accepting, but I think she's still struggling a little. And my grandparents don't know yet (I think...)

20. Silas

Neither of them :/ My dad will definitely be more resentful but they'll both pretty much disown me if I ever come out. My grandmother is probably the only one who comes close to being accepting but she won't be happy about it either.