1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much discipline do you need to pursue two careers?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edy, Jul 11, 2014.

1. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    Look I've been attending singing classes for two months and I want to be a professional singer, before that I took acting classes but I couldn't afford them any longer (plus the teacher wasn't very good, it seemed more like a social club than a drama club and he didn't give me good roles in the short time I was there)

When I'm tired of music (like I'm now) I want to go back to the drama clubs and vice versa. I have very little patience, when I don't see results in one area and want to jump to the other one but I now I won't develop any musical or acting skills with this behavior. My cousins have two careers and if they could do it so can I

The problem is that I lack of the discipline that is needed to pursue two careers at the same time

2. justjade

Two jobs isn't too bad. I've done it. Would I do it again? No.

Two careers, though? Don't feel bad. I don't think anyone could hold down two careers unless they're Gwen Stefani. Seriously, that woman is amazing, but jobs and careers are two completely different things. A job is there to pay the bills. A career is an occupation you dedicate your life to. However, switching back and forth between two things doesn't mean both aren't careers. But doing both at the same time would be incredibly draining.

3. ahardlife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No harm in joining a local theater group when you would get
    To use both

4. Hexagon

No offence intended, truly. But I think you'd be better to try and find a stronger sense of purpose in your life.

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Acting and singing?? Don't a lot of stars do that?

If you have the drive I don't see a problem

6. Candace

If you have the motivation to do it, then go for it. Look at Beyonce, Justin Timberlake, and Kristen Bell. They all sing and act, so why can't you?

7. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some of them are better at one thing than the other. To answer the question yes it could be possible but it will be difficult I sure you can do it here have a hug (*hug*).

8. Candace

Well I don't think it's possible for one to be equally good at two careers. In the case of Justin Timberlake, he just stopped making songs and took a break from making movies (Friends with Benefits, etc.)

9. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All of it.

You will need all of the discipline.

10. normalwolverine

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have done music and used to be very involved in that community, as well as had a lot of friends in it. My best friend is an actress-slash-singer. I would honestly say from having that sort of background you're talking about being interested in that you just don't have the passion for either field. If you really wanted to do both, you'd find a way. A lot of singers and actors/actresses just shut out everything else and sacrifice without really even thinking about it. It's not a matter of discipline. And neither industry is for people who don't have patience or who can't handle rejection, and that's some of the reason why I am no longer in music (because, like you said, I got really frustrated with getting nowhere after a couple of years of really trying). From the sounds of it, you're not even auditioning or sending out recordings or anything; you're just talking about organizations and classes, which means you're not really seriously even into the "pursuing" yet. No harm meant, but if you're thinking the way you are now without even getting to the real pursuing outside of what sounds like a school environment, then you'd really have a problem once/if you ever did get to the real pursuing and would want to run away.