1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever treated a member of the LGBT community badly? Why?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AlamoCity, Jul 12, 2014.

1. AlamoCity

Have you ever treated a member of the LGBT community badly? Why? Was it an accident? A moment where you had internalized homophobia?

Share your account.

_________

For me, it happened in high school. I was eating at Carl's Jr. (Hardee's for all of y'all other people :lol:slight_smile: and I went to the bathroom. I am normally very careful which bathroom I enter because I don't want to make a mistake and I entered the "appropriate" one. When I entered, I saw a person* at the sink to my right and this person did not appear "male." I was still at the door jamb as this happened and did basically a double-take that was not so smooth to check out this person and also to quickly check the door's gender sign. It can only be described as smooth as this:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, the person noticed and asked me what was wrong and I said that I was making sure I was in the right bathroom because I did not see any urinals (the urinals weren't visible and were hidden to the right) and, as you all know urinals = men's room. While my explanation was technically factual, it was not accurate because it was not the reason why I reacted that way. I never treated the person rudely or offensively and even went out of my way to act that any error was my fault (for not looking closely at where I was going). I was raised to, barring any situation where there were substantial issues at stake, always make the other person comfortable and assume any wrongdoing was your fault to help everyone save face.

The person was finishing with the sink and left seconds after the incident. I never saw this person again. I can surmise that the person was probably transgender and in the beginning stages of transition. At the time, I didn't know much about LGBT issues other than the fact that I was gay and liked guys.

Immediately after the incident, I felt confused afterwards because I didn't know whether to feel angry myself or at the other person: Angry at myself for acting so "un-smoothly" or angry at the other person because "they should have known better" and not have been shocked that other men felt uneasy when a person whose gender wasn't apparent was in a gendered space. I think it was mostly a shock to my system because, before then, I really had never been in the proximity of someone who didn't act according to gender norms or was trans. Also, this was around 2006; this was Texas.

To this day, this incident has haunted me because I felt that I treated a member of the LGBT community in an unwelcoming and undignified way, and that makes me feel uneasy. I wonder if that person went home and cried because of what I did or if I affected their self-esteem. It was not one of my best moments.

*I use gender-neutral words to describe the person because I am not certain what they would have preferred.

2. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it's not horrible, and I never said it directly to him but when my older cousin came out as gay I wished he was still "normal" because he was then "weird" for liking boys, I feel horrible about it but I was younger and didn't know any better.

3. Yosia

When i was younger and at the immature stage i was mean to someone who came out as bisexual. 2/3 years later they are my boyfriend XD

4. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We have a transsexual that is allways rude to me so I go out of my way to avoid the person. Last time I spoke to them they accused me of being gay and wouldn't buy a skirt from the shop because the person though I was. I don't want to have anything to do with the person now. I hate myself for being like that.

5. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    if that person was rude to you, you cant blaming yourself for it

6. timo

Yes, I may have done that once or twice. It had nothing to do with them being LGBT but some people deserve to be treated badly every now and then.

What I try to say is, not every LGBT person is a saint.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was rather rude to transgendered or agendered people in general. I thought they were freaks growing up. As bad as my parents treated(and still treat) gay people, they are even worse towards the trans. community. When Chaz Bono transitioned, I remember my mom ripping him incessantly and saying what a freak he was to think he was for feeling like he was trapped in a female's body. Before that, I remember saying Dennis Rodman was an "it" unfortunately even though I don't think he considers himself transgendered. Maybe he considers himself genderqueer? Not even sure.

I am really sorry for my attitude. The trans. community has it the worst of all truly. The way the trans. community here responded to me when I asked questions about everything on this forum was the turning point. In fact, I look forward to their posts so I can continue to learn about them. Now, I find myself attracted to them as much as anyone else; I'd say that's an improvement over not even being able to tolerate them. Again, I apologize for my ignorance.

I knew several people who came out as gay and lesbian about 10 years ago, and I never was rude to them despite being in denial about myself at the time. It's not that I agreed with homosexuality at the time(I loathed myself terribly), but I never felt it was my place to "change" anyone. I remember feeling sympathy towards the gay people with AIDS in the early 90's before I even had any feelings towards guys. I just wanted to help those people struggling. Not much more I can say.

8. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've certainly on occasion treated some LBGT people poorly. For most of my twenties practically everyone I knew was gay and I'm no saint--was even less so when I was younger. But if the question is have I treated someone poorly because they were LGBT I don't think I actually have. I was aware it was at least a possibility that I was gay from a pretty early age.

9. Yossarian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not that I know of intentionally, but with some people who are deeply closeted, I might have done so without knowing it, but not about being gay/lesbian. I tend to tease people I like, and avoid people I don't like.

10. Candace

I am guilty of this. In our Alliance at school, there is this one cliqué that hangs out with each other. They go back to this one guy's apartment, drink all night and smoke pot, and seem incredibly irresponsible. I was told by one of them that I was invited to a party there one night back in October. I went there and they told me that I was not allowed. Wait, what? So I got lied to. So in my defense, I just said "well, this probably would have been the worst orgy anyway. I'd have much more fun with responsible people who acted their age and weren't half asleep when I talked to them." and just stormed out. I admit that that was rather rude of me, but I guess I was just so discombobulated and angry at that time. But still, that I feel was rather mean.

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

No, never.
    I've treated more heterosexuals badly due to my phase of heterophobia. I think that came about due to my internalized homophobia, ironically. Just unlike most people, I lashed out as straights because I was jealous of them and I thought bullying them would make me accept myself more, which is just so wrong.

12. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If i ever did, it would have had to have been when I was a child. I could be such a closed-minded little bitch.

13. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I actually had twice one girl in my high school that was a butch lesbian told her I was worried about my sexuality and I thought I was not normal. Which I ended up offending her. Another incident was when I was playing and rpg game and I called a girl was lesbian a dyke ,I still feel bad about it because she seemed very hurt and sad over it.
    I was very closed minded as a teenager.

14. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    When my sister's boyfriend at the time tried to organized a blind date with one of his workmates, I treated the poor guy like trash! I even invited one of my friends so we didn't even have a real date at all. He ended up leaving, I feel bad :frowning2: I should've said no in the first place. My boyfriend dumped me and I wasn't really recovered yet

why did he dump me? for the exact same reason: I treated him like garbage too although HE DESERVED IT. I told his girlfriend that his partner was closeted and that brought him troubles :frowning2:

I feel bad but I don't regret doing it. I would do it again

And the last time I treated a gay guy badly was when we had to teach other students about what homosexuality meant and he ruined it! he made a circus of it and people learned nothing! I was so irritated but I didn't harm him at all

15. Weekender

Sometimes, when I'm out with friends and see someone who is presumably in the LGBT community, I totally ignore them. Internalized homophobia there, I guess.

In middle school, a friend of mine told me she was bisexual. I just laughed really hard, which was rude, and I feel bad about it. Besides that, there's not much. I'm generally not mean to others unless they get mean first.

16. wolf of fire

I'm rude to people who are rude to me as a basic rule regardless of sexual orientation, but I don't think I have ever been homophobic but I may have been rude or mean in another way.

#16 wolf of fire, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  17. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've probably treated people bad in the past when I was less mature, but never because they were LGBT. I've never had internalised homophobia as I was brought up not to judge people based on "what" they are.

Happy days :slight_smile:

18. the haunted

Sure, but not because they were LGBT. I know plenty of LGBTs that I can't stand because they're rude or whatever.

19. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When I was in high school, I made fun of gays all the time. And every time a guy said or implied that he liked another guy, even if I knew they were joking, I would always make a disgusted look on my face and I'd make sure they saw it.

It was internalized homophobia...I wanted to make sure that no one would suspect me of being gay, but I was mostly trying to convince myself that I wasn't gay. Looking back, I'm embarrassed at what I did. It probably just made more people suspect that I'm gay.

20. Jonathan

On school picture day in sixth grade, my photographer was a decently effeminate man with a lisp. When we got our pictures, I had one of the clearest and nicest smiles that I had ever had in a school picture. When my dad asked why, I remember telling him something along the lines that the photographer was a fag and the way he talked was funny, which made me laugh/smile in my picture. While I didn't treat this guy poorly to his face, I still treated him poorly.

There was also another gay guy at my old uni who I was not very nice to. However, we had a mutual dislike of each other. He was mean to me and I was mean right back.