1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Conflict between the religious and non-religious

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Let me first be clear; I'm not trying to draw battle lines or inspire conflict on this site. There are a lot of atheists and agnostics on this site, and I'm wondering at something.

For the faithless: Have you experienced disapproval or rejection as a result of your lack of religion from those close to you, friends or family?

For the faithful: How do you view those without religion, in terms of morality and so forth?

--

I told my parents I was an atheist when I was twelve. Things haven't really changed since then. My mother is a devout liberal christian, and my father is possessed by the conviction that faith is a virtue, regardless of truth. Apart from an initial outburst, they haven't tried to convert me. They maintain that they don't think atheists are bad people. And yet they strongly pushed me towards paganism when they found I was interested in it. They take any opportunity to tell me about good things people with faith do, how true goodness is inspired by faith. They've even started to try to make me come to church with them. They've never told me I'm a bad person, but nonetheless they have this unshakeable conviction that the faithless are inferior.

2. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, but it hasn't too bad for me (so far) partly because my older brother came out as an atheist a few years before I deconverted from Catholicism.

When I was part of the faithful, I viewed the faithless as misguided.

3. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents are fine with it, but some people at school asked me "well what if you're wrong?", and I responded "I don't think a God would punish someone for thinking objectively. What if YOU'RE wrong?". That shut them up.

4. mangotree

I actually experienced a lot more disapproval and rejection for being a Christian.

After I left Christianity, I've mostly kept my spiritual interests and beliefs private and personal.

I think most people now assume I'm atheist until they get to know me better.

Theyre usually very accepting and/or atheist or agnostic themselves, and if they do find out about my spiritual side - it's usually a pleasant surprise for them and we both end up talking about it for interest sake. Occasionally come across some free spirits too and we end up having some deep and soulful discussions :slight_smile:

Peace! (*hug*)

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really wish I could speak on this, but I have come to realize that I can't discuss faith or lack thereof on this site anymore without getting hurt by someone else or offending them. It only feeds into my depression and disconnect with the community. So, yeah.....

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a person of faith...

I don't think you need to have a faith to be a good or moral person and I don't think having a faith makes you a good or moral person either - on the contrary.

In many cases I have more grounded conversations on matters of ethics, morality and social issues with people who don't have a declared faith. Once you dispense with the piety and hyperbole that sometimes comes with religion you get to the heart of the matter.

For me, conflict arises through disrespect and personal or condescending attacks on the other side.

7. AKTodd

I was raised that matters of faith, or lack of same, were totally up to the individual. As such, when I declared my atheism in my early teens or possibly before, no one in my immediate family so much as batted an eye.

Todd

8. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never had problems with religious people as long as they don't try to spout their nonsense at me. I try to educate where I can, but of course, some people will never listen to reason.

As for your last comment, I may just add that religions are not moral systems, they are just a bunch of moral pronouncements, many of which are immoral. They say nothing about how to evaluate a situation and come to a moral outcome. They just have a bunch of rules that they claim god said and are only good because their god said it without any rational justification.

Secular morality is not just a superior form of morality, but in fact the only form of actual morality. Religion doesn't even factor into it.

Happy days :slight_smile:

9. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why secularism alienates people. Not only is it petty and self-aggrandising, it's also rather inaccurate. If you think that secularism provides a perfectly objective moral framework that religious systems are incapable of, then I think you really need to read into more religion and also look at the faults in many secular ways of thinking. There are merits in secularism, many of which have been adopted by religious people and even among clerics, but to claim it as the only pure form of thinking is both arrogant and wilfully ignorant.

Kindly tell me how a moral system is defined and why religion is inherently excluded from that.

Why is it that the only correct form of thinking is yours?

10. ABeautifulMind

I agree with Aussie 792...

I also want to point out, one of the major religions is Christianity. It teaches a moral code. That is all I see as positive from religion to be honest. In fact that is what I tell people frequently. The reason I am so kool with my religious family members who are still serious bible thumpers is because of that. Dont think because people use it to go against gay marriage and gays in general that its doesnt teach good morals. Every group has fanatics. You cant let that one part represent the whole my friend.

Jesus was never a gay basher, and Christian faith tells you that when Jesus came to earth through mary and the immaculate conception, God destroyed the old laws of the old testament and tell christians to be saved you must accept Christ, and the new law was now to act christ like. So your saying Christ did not exhibit morals? He was perfect, I mean that literally. He never sinned. That is like.... his entire story lol. Havent you ever heard the phrase, "nobody is perfect, only one man ever was, and he died on the cross for it."

I used to get told that all the time when I got in trouble. My parents way of telling me it was ok. But seriously I am blown away to see someone right that religion doesnt teach a moral code. I mean, Islam even teaches a moral code. It also teaches a manner to behave in which is a little strict. But just because you dont agree with the lifestyle demands of Islam (you know, things like dont shave, or something) doesnt mean that you can say it doesnt teach morals. It just happens to teach morals and rules for how to live that dont involve morals. I hope that makes sense.

I think maybe before you start writing things about anything seriously significant, like religion, you should atleast become informed about them. And yes, religion is significant. I am once again reminded of a saying. "Never talk religion or Politics."

11. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people I know are atheist or agnostic so that isn't a problem. My mother is an atheist as well. Of course, atheism/agnosticism doesn't automatically mean irreligious. Most people still identify as Christian, despite not believing in God.

I've never had conflict with a religious person. Religion in Europe is very much a private matter, and is rarely discussed (in my experience anyway).

#11 imnotreallysure, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  12. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I told my mom I am an Atheist and I didn't receive disapproval, she just asked me why. My family is very open about religion and don't discriminate.

13. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was pretty much raised atheist, so from my family, no. But at school, when I was in either sixth or seventh grade (I can't remember now), some kids found out I was atheist and they were like, "Being atheist is a sin," and, "You should at least go to church." I was really annoyed. >.<

14. Acm

Acm Guest

I used to go to a conservative school were most of the kids were extreme Christians and they used to try to argue with me about religion. Or we would be having a casual conversation and they would randomly sigh and tell me that it was "too bad I was going to hell"

15. I'm a Christian, but I don't see atheists as bad people at all. However, I know that my family is a different story - They would completely hate it if I was an atheist because they accuse me of questioning God and look at me funny just when I say I don't believe a few things out of the Bible or I try to reason with them about some scriptures. But no one should EVER be treated badly because of what they believe or don't believe in. After all, it is one's own belief and not something that other people should be able to decide.

16. gabisout

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    as an agnostic, i often get hurtful judgement from people who doesn't really know anything about my belief. i came from a catholic school run by a catholic congregation and i didn't like how they tell me that i should believe in god and in the bible but they yet not say it to our muslim brothers. i found out that they do not or only a few of them know of agnosticism and saw me as a "god-less" person. on the other hand, when i went to college, i met religious people who are very open and accepts our differences in faith.

to be honest i have mixed feelings about religious people. first i don't see how someone who is smart enough to not convict a suspect in a crime without any evidence is believing in a story that lacks proof and often times contradict itself. yet they amaze me because i've talked catholics who agree with me about the "faults" and "hoaxes" i see in the bible, and they knew it all along, but they still believe in their god. they (some of them) do not really believe in god because they are certain god exist but they believe in him because they want to, their belief is fueled with nothing but faith. that is something that i do not have towards the so called "Almighty God", that is why i'm agnostic.

17. Hexagon

To add to what I said in my OP, what really pisses me off is that my parents don't even think morality comes from god, but faith itself. It doesn't matter what religion you are, you just have to be religious.

As for my own conclusions in this matter... I believe the capacity for morality comes from within, not from religion, and not from any secular philosophy. But philosophies of morality and ethics, be they religious or secular, can improve us in some ways. I don't hold animosity towards the religious, though we certainly disagree on some things. But obviously I don't agree with my parents. Neither of us are morally superior to the other.

18. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even though you weren't this question at me, I responded by starting this thread so that we don't derail this one.

Much of what you said is also indirectly addressed in the new thread.

19. the gypsy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't care about anyone else's religion and morality or whatever, so long as they don't try to tell me that theirs is the only way that could possibly be right or bring violence on others for not following it.

20. Candace

I honestly don't care. If you want to believe in that, then that's on you. But at the same time, don't try to criticize me because I still believe in God. I'll be respectful and tolerant when you can do the same as well.