1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"You're too old for that."

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Polterpup, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Polterpup

Alrighty...so my mum seems to think that it's weird for me to watch cartoons and only cartoons. I mean, it's not like I watch TV all the time anyway. I have my fair share of other activities...like drawing and practicing my flute...alright, so I do watch cartoons a lot. And only cartoons. Is that really so weird? It's not like I'm watching Dora the friggin Explorer and eagerly answering her through the television. No. I'm into stuff like Adventure Time (sorta, is losing my interests), Wander Over Yonder, Randy Cunningham 9th Grade Ninja, Danny Phantom, and American Dragon Jake Long. Actually, I think those are all the shows I watch right there...Anyhoo, "grown-up" shows just don't interest me as much. I tried to use the whole "I'm just fourteen!" Thing against her and she told me that I'm going to be fifteen in and couple of days (ugh) and that fourteen is still too old to watch cartoons all the time. Sorry about this. Ranting just feels good. Also, I want to know if any of you get judged on your interests. And if you think the cartoon thing is weird!

2. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    no, your DEFINITELY not too old, i watched american dragon and i loved danny phantom when they were out

3. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I love Adventure Time and my mom doesn't say I'm too old for it. She just accepts it as me being...well, me.

4. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Psh, I'm 20 and I still watch cartoons sometimes, lol. And I know plenty of people my age (and older) who like them. My mom's the same way tho. She just doesn't want me to watch them in the living room when she's there, which is fine... I can watch them in my own room, hehe.

5. timo

There's no such thing as being too old for anything.

I'm 24, I think Adventure Time is wonderful and one of the things on top of my bucket list is to play hide and seek in Ikea.

6. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    lol i dont get that though, my mom probably wouldnt care but i think its just a maturity thing that your mom does not want you too watch cartoons

7. Empress

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like cartoons. They're not the only thing I watch, but a small fraction. It's just a medium of storytelling, and you shouldn't dismiss it based on the idea that animated stuff is for kids. A lot of stuff can be done in cartoons that would look terrible live-action. Hey, and even if some of them are a little childish, why not, right? Do what makes you happy. There's this quote by C.S Lewis '' When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.''

Shows like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and Adventure Time honestly have a lot of subject matter that'd go over young children's heads - in a lot of episodes they're clearly catering to the older fanbase.

8. Thedistra

My dad is 50 years old and still watches cartoons, so I wouldn't sweat it. Never to old for cartoons.

9. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This^:thumbsup:

10. Notsoshure

Pffffttt you are NEVER too Old for cartoons. HECK, i even watched My little pony fim. For The first 3-4 seasons haha. I love adventure time, i watch The amazing spiderman, avengers cartoons, LOOOVE comics. And i'm 16 in a bit over a Month. I also watch more "adult" shows now, but before i didnt really like em that much, but i did watch simpsons, family guy, futurama, and they are basicly cartoons here. Also love tom and jerry, if thats on The tv OH dont you dare change The station!

Ok so My point here is; there are people a lot older than you who watch and loves cartoons. You are not too Old to watch it. If you like cartoons just watch them! I think you should sit down and talk to your mom and tell her it is not a big deal, it is just what you like to watch and there is a lot more people watching them even at a older age than you. Maybe she is just concerned that you are different than others your age? That this is not normal? My mom does that sometimes, but she has just learned to accept that i am different, and so are My friends.

Hope this somewhat helped, lol.

11. AKTodd

When I was in college, half my dorm (all 18-22 yr old guys) would shut down every weekday afternoon to watch The Real Ghostbusters cartoon (based on the Ghostbusters movie). TVs weren't as common so guys would gather in small groups in the rooms that had em.

I still watch some cartoons from time to time and enjoy them, including the 'kiddy' ones like Codename: Kids Next Door. I have at least one boxed set of the old Warner Bros. cartoon (Bugs Bunny, the Roadrunner, etc.), which I used to watch with my grandfather when I was 5-7 or so. Don't know if he genuinely liked them or just saw it as time to spend with me, but I like them still.

I also watch quite a few adult type shows, but that's because I find them enjoyable and engaging, not because I hit some magic age. Unless you count being an age where I will watch what I please and nobody can stop me.

As you get older and accumulate more life experience, you may find that your tastes change such that you start to relate to and enjoy more adult shows. Or you may simply be a person who doesn't like most programs (there is a lot of mindless dreck out there) and who fills your time with other activities. But you certainly won't be alone (or even all that unusual) if you still like the occasional cartoon fix.

Re your situation with your mom, I would suggest checking out the range of available programming to see if you find anything that you like, or can at least tolerate enough to watch now and again to make her less concerned. You might even find something you enjoy. You could also talk to her and explain that you have lots of other things going on, including more mature activities and cartoon watching lets you decompress and unwind a bit.

Hope this helps,

Todd

12. ABeautifulMind

I am 27 and honestly I rarely watch cartoons. But I have a valid reason. Im not mature, I just got burned out. I have 4 nieces and nephews who were at one point, living with me. I HATE watching cartoons now. Now I dont include adult cartoons in that. Things like family guy, the simpsons, etc. I am ok with occasionally. But like the ones younger kids watch. Fuck them. I am just kidding, but in all seriousness fuck them. If I had to watch one more episode of sponge bob I was going to throw my fucking tv out the window. Or Dora. That woman can shove her map up her ass. And blues clues? dude when they changed hosts, I knew automatically it had to be drugs. You HAVE TO BE HIGH for that job. I bet Steve was so fucked up he thought Blue was real. Jumping into paintings and shit. He can shove that "handy dandy notebook" the same place as the previously mentioned map.

I hate to appear so anti cartoons. But damn it they get old. Not that I see anything wrong with watching them. I just FUCKING HATE them.

13. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::tears: thank you, while i laughed way too hard at that i needed a laugh

14. BiPenguin

Never too old, mate. I'm 42 and I watch them.

15. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Too old? pfft. Here's to never growing up

16. Emulator

It's for the young at heart :wink:

17. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I prefer a lot of kids media. I feel like adult media relies too heavily on sex jokes, violence, etc and it doesn't always appeal to me.

18. justjade

Yeah. And really, vulgar humor is easy. Anyone can use it. It takes a unique sense of humor to create something that's really funny without trying too hard. That's what I like about Chowder and Ed, Edd, and Eddy. They're so unique that they can't be duplicated. As much as I love Two and a Half Men, shows with that sort of humor are a dime a dozen. And I kind of hate how "grown up" shows dance around unsavory words in their dialogue while obviously implying them.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Whenever somebody tells me that I'm too old/young for this/that, I usually always respond with this:

"And you're too boring!"

If you enjoy watching cartoons, have at it. Despite my being 28, I still find animation enjoyable. Hell, now that I am older, going back and watching things I used to, with a different mindset and experiences, allows me to catch things I didn't, or couldn't, before. On top of that, it's always nice to just cut back and relax.

20. Silas

Never too old for cartoons! :eusa_naug The Flintstones and the Jetsons were always my favs, I still watch them to this day! :icon_mrgr