1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

About secular morality.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BobObob, Jul 12, 2014.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a reply to a post on this thread. I'm posting it as a new thread so as to not derail the other thread.

'Secular' just means that something is not religious in nature. It does not mean anti-religious or atheistic. So a 'secular' argument for a moral position is any argument that doesn't require religion, even if it is being made by a religious institution. So saying:
    can be translated to something along the lines of, "The best moral system does not require religion."

The types of moral arguments that I came across which are not secular, i.e., they require religion in order for the argument to be valid, tend to be some sort of a morality by fiat. E.g., arguing that something is wrong simply "Because god said so", is an example of this.

Consider the question, "Is what is morally good commanded by god because it is morally good, or is it morally good because it is commanded by god?"

If you answer this modified form of Euthyphro's Dilemma by saying that what is morally good is commanded by god because it is morally good, then you have a morality that is independent of god. Since almost all non-secular moralities (i.e., moralities that require a religion) require a god, then the person who sincerely believes that the best answer to the above question is, "What is morally good is commanded by god because it is morally good," probably already has a secular morality.

If you answer the question by instead saying that what is morally good is good because god said so, then you run into lots of problems. This means that anything god says is moral is actually moral, including genocide, slavery, and torturing children. It especially becomes problematic when you come across passages in the Bible such as Leviticus 25:44-46 where Yahweh says:

Thankfully, no one today (that I know of) considers this moral. Many liberal pastors are able to study passages like this, yet be against slavery, because they do not think that the Bible is an infallible source of morality; They choose to adopt a secular morality instead. Others try to dismiss passages like these.

There are many liberal religions, such as the Unitarian Universalist Church, that do good by preaching morality. However, I think that the religions that most accurately teach moral employ secular morality, instead of saying something like, "X is good/bad because god says so."

Note: I put the word 'god' in lower case since there are many gods (the Christian god, the Sikh god, the Pagan gods, etc.). It is not meant to be slight.

2. Hexagon

I actually agree with some of what Aussie says, though I don't think his criticisms of secularism are entirely fair. I think you're misinterpreting him somewhat.

This is unfair. If it's true at all, it only refers to some of the proponents of secularism, and nor do I think it's entirely wrong. It is absolutely vital, to my mind, that politics are secular. Politicians may have any beliefs they want, and their morality may be guided by those beliefs. It is on these beliefs (and thus the policies they inspire) that citizens vote, after all. But no special consideration ought to be given to any religion, or indeed religion in general. It isn't the business of the state to validate god's existence or otherwise, and neither is it the state's business to punish people for criticising religion, or offering it insults that one might use to describe any organisation.

Insisting that people 'be secular' on the other hand, is different. It seems a bit of a non-sequitur to me, as secularism isn't a belief, just a state of non-interference in religious terms. Arguing in favour of atheism is pretty similar to trying to convert people to a particular religion. It may irritate some, but everyone does it in some way or another. It's a mark of a (somewhat) free society, and not one I'd sacrifice.

The rest, however, I agree with. He isn't saying that secularism is wrong, per say, just that the poster is incorrect in saying that secularism is the only valid form of morality. Most ways of thinking have their faults, true, and it's the duty of the philosophy's proponents to try to fix them.

I agree with what you say. Obviously, as someone who doesn't believe in any gods, I don't consider the argument from a non-existant being to be valid. But in the end, I choose the people I associate with in part because they are good people. I may sometimes enjoy a debate of this kind with them, but I don't much care where their goodness came from.

It should be noted that for some, particularly of the 'liberal' variety, scripture is not the source of their morality, but, shall we say, divinely inspired.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As with anything else, it's relative. The morality important to us is what benefits ourselves and the rest of society. "Thou shall not kill" is a rule meant to preserve people's right to life. And since killing someone is usually the direct opposite of benefiting them, we consider it to be unacceptably immoral. I don't mean to go into a philosophical mire by bringing in military or self defense actions, but it's safe to say that as far as our secular society goes, killing is objectively immoral and we need no declaration from God saying so.

My views are probably a weird fusion of religious and secular. According to Emerson (if I interpret his writing correctly) each of us has been given a spark of divine wisdom allowing us to trust ourselves. If we have a strong sense of what is right and wrong, it is correct and able to be applied to decisions made. In short, it's a sort of "Godly knowledge" that makes it possible to interpret the world and share it peacefully with others.

4. Candace

I try to use secular morality, but like many people already stated here, it's like trying to reason with a brick wall sometimes. I try to go for the common sense, logical approach, which some folks just don't understand. They always try to hide behind some scripture or the Bible in itself in order to back up their statements, which I find really irritating. My views are that the Bible, to me, is up to anyone's interpretation and serve as a guideline, dogma if you will, in order to live a better life. I just hate that some people take everything written in that book literally and at face value and try to spout their views on everyone who doesn't agree with them. Remember, the Bible was written by people and thus it can be altered over time due to bias and personal reasons. If people back in 1100 didn't like black people, then I'm pretty sure that they can just have said "God doesn't approve of black people". That was 914 years ago. Are we really going to call them out on it? We can't, and I hate that they try to use God as a scapegoat for their personal prejudices.

For these reasons, I like to have an infusion of religious, meaning that I still believe in God, and use more secular and practical approaches. I think God loves everyone single one of us despite our differences.

5. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I poorly worded what I meant when I wrote "This is why secularism alienates people. Not only is it petty and self-aggrandising, it's also rather inaccurate." I was referring to the single statement Radioactive Bi made, not to secularism as a whole, the firm "we are the enlightened ones" without any back-up (the response I got was only a verbose repetition with no actual explanation).

I firmly believe in secular law, government, business, and education. But I do not believe that the non-religious have a moral monopoly, nor that the religious need to justify themselves in the absence of proselytism.

6. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I completely agree that people who are religious can be good people, but if they are good it's probably because of secular values or because of values that they got from their religion that align with secular values. For example, religions generally teach that murder is wrong, but like Argentwing points out, "Thou shall not kill" can also be derived from secular values. The problem comes when a religion spreads bad values that lead to killing the infidel.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 04:48 PM ----------

I agree with what you have to say about "Thou shall not kill." However...

This comes across as a bit dangerous. Most people have an internal sense of what is morally right and wrong, but I think we cannot assume that these feelings are always good indicators of morality. I think this is partly what can lead to a lot of intolerance toward gays/lesbians and bisexuals. Many have a gut feeling of disgust at the thought of gay sex (perhaps because it's a turn off for them or because their society has stigmatized it) and they often interpret that as their conscience telling them that homo/bisexuality is wrong.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

It's very irritating when someone takes the approach of "The Bible said so, so that settles it."

This is why some people facetiously call the Bible "The Big Book of Multiple Choice."

I think that good people will find a way to use the Bible to support good values, and that bad people will use the Bible to justify their bigotries.

So far as I can tell, many Christian clerics secretly took the view that the Bible is fallible while in seminary precisely for this reason, but they don't like to pass that on to their congregations.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 05:06 PM ----------

Snobbish attitudes (whether perceived or real) are always off-putting.

7. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I am religious, but the vast majority of secular people I've met seemed perfectly capable of making morally correct decisions. Just because they don't believe in God doesn't make them go around killing people. I do agree somewhat that religious morality is often faulty because of misinterpretations of religious text. Nowhere in the Bible did it say that it was right to commit genocide, but the Spanish Inquisition still happened. And nobody expected it either. Sorry, that was bad.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand that you believe many people misinterpret what Yahweh has said, but I'm challenging the position that something is good because Yahweh said it.

Hypothetically, if Yahweh made it unmistakably clear that it is always morally acceptable to murder anyone who has brown hair, would it then be morally acceptable to murder someone who has brown hair?

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You said it yourself though. They think it's gross and unnatural and interpret that as "wrong". Those aren't the same things, and in the case of homophobia, I can't imagine someone has weighed the circumstances and found that being gay is destructive in any but the most trivial ways.

I never meant to imply that "go with your gut feeling" is what he meant. I felt it was more along the lines of having the ability to separate right from wrong with careful reflection. It's still different than relying on some external set of moral principles such as the Bible to guide your thoughts and actions.

10. BelleFromHell

I think the whole "you must believe in God in order to be a decent person" argument is complete bullshit. If that was true, what if you stopped believing? Would you run around killing/raping everyone and feel no guilt or shame about it simply because there isn't a man in the sky to judge you? That sounds pretty fucking scary to me.

Regardless of whether or not the Bible says anything about genocide, you cannot ignore the fact that trillions and trillions of innocent people throughout history have been slaughtered in the name of religion.

Of course, I've met a lot of Christian people who have no problem with me being agnostic (some of which are now good friends of mine), so I don't hate everyone who's Christian. However, if someone who follows any religion starts to think they're automatically more moral than I am simply because I'm not religious, I disregard them.

11. Ridiculous

The irony is that if they did actually follow their religion and didn't use their own secular morality to stop them, they would be raping people, killing people that ate shellfish, killing menstruating women that didn't segregate themselves away from society, and so on. Religion tells us to do these things, and our own conscience tells us not to.

12. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then I misunderstood the second half of your first post. My bad.

---------- Post added 12th Jul 2014 at 06:59 PM ----------

This is why I think that almost everyone in Western culture today either has a secular morality or has a religious morality the is influenced and moderated by secular values. I think that most decent Christians don't see it that way because there are so many ways that one can make the Bible support any position that supports one's values.

#12 BobObob, Jul 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2014