1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

being gay for attention?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bolt35, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    so, i was having a conversation with someone about the topic of LGBT after a certain incident happened. the incident was that this guy with long hair was selling products and just so it happens, he was selling underwear and had very provocative guys posing on them. he was also selling t shirts as well. my friend just turned and asked me and said" is he gay". so i replied with " i don't know". then he went on a triad about how he walked was gay and how his product had gay themes and proceeded to tell me this, " i think you're just gay just because you want attention."......and of course i replied" what does that have to do with me being gay, i'm attracted to men and that's it. not every one of us are going to automatically guess the right orientation, even if we have been around gay men for too long" and of course we kept bickering a bit but my question is, Have you guys ever gotten something said like that?

2. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope, but if I had been there I would have slugged him.

3. Jami3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I had a friend once tell me that the only reason I date girls is so I can attract boys because I look straight. I then asked her if she petted dogs to attract cats. The entire point of me dating girls is *shock* I like girls.

4. Candace

Um, I don't like talking about how I like people of my gender for "attention". That's just plain wrong. I do it because I like them, end of story.

5. Notsoshure

That is stupid. Yes there might be someone out there who do? i dont know, but if anyone said that to me i would be very offended. Believe me, if i could like boys the way i like girls, i would.

6. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    in my head, that sounds wrong on a lot of levels haha.

7. Mogget

It's a common accusation that being gay or trans is the new trendy thing for millennials to do. It's bs, of course, but what can you do?

8. omgitskyle

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A guy at my "came out" as "bisexual" for attention and so he could try get a blowjob from one of the gay guys (me) without anyone being suspicious. Needless to say, he didn't get squat.
    When people started wondering if he was lying, he got really nervous and came back a week later saying his church "converted him."

9. BiPenguin

I take it you don't come across as the ever stereotyical gay man who stops and spins on one foot with both arm held close to your chest.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I like being a bi Christian so I can have panic attacks, anxiety, cry nearly every day, question my faith, distance myself from family and church people, get denied by everyone for being who I am, and get into arguments with so many people. Yeah, I did it all for the quiche, cran brulee, and the attention.

I don't like to swear or flip people off, but I can't say I wouldn't have been tempted.

11. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, because being verbally berated just feels so awesome...

12. pigpassport

pigpassport Guest

It's never happened to me because I'm not open about my sexuality, and the only people who I told in person that I'm not straight, I haven't told I'm actually gay rather than bi.

The thing is I think is that quite a few people go through 'questioning' or 'experimenting' phases if you like and that can be construed as attention seeking. Sometimes it is "oooh i kissed a boy when i was drunk i must be gay now" and obviously, sometimes it isn't.
    The other thing is, that people, and I noticed this when I was at school, from when I was about 14, do actually say those things just for attention but are actually completely straight. There was a boy in my year who kissed another boy (who was actually gay) when drunk at a party and proceeded to tell everyone that he was bisexual after that. Two weeks later he decided he was straight again because nobody believed that he was bi. Drunk kisses mean squat in terms of sexuality and people who do that kind of thing as I just described are very attention seeking as a rule.

Even when I do decide to be more open about my sexuality I'm not the kind of person who will be overly obvious about it or flaunt it. If someone ever said that to me, I'm also not the kind of person who is very willing to put up with other people's bullshit so I would more than likely get just the tiniest bit lairy with them.

13. idream

idream Guest

I haven't come out to my mom yet, but I'm sure she'd say I'm just trying to get attention....even though it'd be negative attention

14. charmander

Actually in my school here in Scotland, it's a big thing. Around April last year a very popular girl "came out", And I estimate another 13 girls did the same. The popular girl soon admitted to wanting attention, and some of the other 13 did too. Some were too stubborn and about 3 of them were actually Bisexual. But hey. At least they're not confessing to being pregnant. oh wait.

15. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I get this.

"Oh yes, of course. I went through 2 years of hating myself, suicidal thoughts, depression, anxiety, and confusion plus countless attempts to prove to myself that I'm not gay for attention ^^ That's right. ARSEHOLE." Is my response (only used once so far!)

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have not been told that yet but I'm expecting it , most of my female friends still don't believe I'm a lesbian.

17. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HAHA, yea i really don't.
    i think a lot of people still has that common misunderstanding about the gay community overall and it pushes this kind of thinking :tears:

18. uniqueness

uniqueness Guest

Your friend sounds to me like a slightly ignorant person reeking of heteronormativity.

19. Budweiser

If anybody uses the sub-culture of gay flamboyancy as a method of attention grabbing, they would do so, also, with the involvement of any other sub-culture.

20. PurpleGrey

And my honest-to-God reaction to this is..."cran brulee"? What is that? Cranberry flavored creme brulee? With cranberries in it? That sounds gross. :lol: