1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Endurance Sports

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jwis, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Jwis

I am curious if there are any other people on this forum that enjoy endurance sports. There is one forum that I post on regularly, but there are not many LGBT folks on it, and by not many I only know of one other. While I know it's not a forum to discuss those topics there are off topic discussions that sometimes dable into that topic.

But I digress,

I am currently training for my first ultramarathon, I got in today from my longest run ever, it was grueling but the sense of accomplishment once finished is amazing. I have also completed a half Ironman triathlon and numerous shorter distance ones. I have two marathons under my belt for this year.

Any other EC folks enjoy these activities? Most people think I'm crazy, but I love them. Would be nice to know a few other people who do too!

2. Candace

I personally don't, but I admire the strength and agility that people must have in order to do these things. I would never be able to do something that you guys do :lol:. It's too grueling on my body.

3. BlueAndWhite

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. I enjoy the pain and the sense of accomplishment that you get from long distance sports. I'm training for a 50k running/biking race and I was the only person crazy enough to volunteer to do the longest high-school track distance of an impressive(*sarcasm*) 2 miles. I've never done a marathon, but I'd like to do several before graduating college.
    On a slight side note, aren't ultra-marathons like the 50 mile ones?

4. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    BlueAndWhite! I understand you! I'm doing the 2-mile for track as well, and I'm the only one. Everyone tells me, "You're crazy! 8 laps?!" I myself question it not because of the distance, but because of the thought of circling around a small field 8 times in a row. It gets boring.

I'm mostly a cross country runner, track's just there to keep me in shape. I want to do some marathons someday. I've already done a half-marathon in Dublin and it was fun, I want to do more.

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was always pretty good at long distance running in gymn class. I know that doesn't count, but we had to run 1 1/2 miles. I always started off slow but gained endurance as I went along and paced myself well. My fwb from back in the day ran cross country in high school. My school did not offer it. Marathons? I don't think so...good on ya though.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't even maintain a good pace without getting out of breath and having to walk X.X so the people who can keep going for basically forever, I give them huge credit hehe.

7. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a runner, but I train mainly for the purposes of being a warrior.

I have completed two half marathons, but I was 2:08 the first time and 2:20 the second time (we were running mostly in the unpacked snow).

I like the half marathon distance, actually; I was training for a full marathon, but I had patellofemoral stress syndrome force me to stop training for two months, so I missed race day.

8. Jwis

Technically an ultra is anything over 26.2 miles, but yes the one I am training for is 50 miles. I hope to finish in <10 hours.

---------- Post added 13th Jul 2014 at 06:57 PM ----------

I like the half distance too, it's challenging enough where you have to train, but not dedicate an enormous amount of time to