1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypocrisy?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mangotree, Jul 14, 2014.

1. mangotree

Is it hypocritical to feel strongly about marriage equality but at the same time never want to get married myself?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No , it shows you want others to be happy , who want to get married

3. Gen

Gen

Never wanting to get married is a personal decision. Being legally unable to is a civil injustice.

4. GreenMan

GreenMan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not at all, the first is a social equality issue(everyone should have the right to get married, regardless of their orientation/gender). The second is a personal decision.
    Every individual should first: have the right to marry, and second: have the freedom to choose whether or not to do so. You're in the clear, from my perspective.

5. Foxface

yeah I can't top Gen's comment....so I second that

6. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No! Just because you don't want to partake in an institution doesn't mean that discrimination against same-sex couples that do want to partake is ok.

7. Julieno

it is not! You can have many reasons not to want one...
    For example I know some people that do not want to get married because of all the implications that marriage used to have (misogyny, religion, etc...).

I want to get married but I want a humanist ceremony. I like the idea of letting my beloved ones that I love my (hypothetical for now) boyfriend and want to spend my life with him. You could do that with a civil partnership but I think I prefer a humanist ceremony (no religion involved in my marriage, please :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:), since they can be very personal and exactly how you want :slight_smile:

Here in the UK LGBT activists are fighting to make civil partnerships legal for straight people, since there was a poll some time ago that indicated that a significant amount of heterosexual people would prefer this (mainly due to the reasons I have cited earlier). And I think it is the fair thing to do, freedom to chose for everyone.

8. Hexagon

I feel the same way. It isn't hypocritical, not in the slightest. What could be wrong with believing people deserve rights that you aren't interested in?

9. PinkCammelia90

^This. You're exercising your right to say 'I don't want to get married', that's different to someone else telling you: 'You can't get married'.

10. Candace

I don't believe so. Does that mean if you don't own a dog or cat, you shouldn't feel strongly about shelters putting down animals?

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's absolutely not hypocritical. No more so than a heterosexual who believes in marriage equality.

12. idream

idream Guest

It'd only be hypocrytical if you said nobody else could get married, and then you get married. Your doing the opposite, which is perfectly acceptable

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I don't understand how that's hypocritical. I don't eat shrimp, but I think other people have the right to eat them. Does that make me a hypocrite?