1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

But a gay person can hide their sexuality...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Steele, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    An argument I always hear when homophobia and racism/sexism/any other -ism are compared and contrasted is that being gay is easier because a gay person can simply hide his/her sexuality.

Frankly, it just pisses me off whenever someone makes this argument. I honestly feel that my sexuality being "hidden," or something that can't be identified by simply looking at me, has been one of the largest contributing factors to all of the pain, depression, and internalized homophobia I've felt over the years. And that's not to say that LGBT individuals have it tougher than other minorities, but I feel like this particular argument is insensitive and untrue.

So, yeah, what do you guys think about this?

2. Mogget

There are people of color who can pass as white; they can and do still experience racism.

3. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's the same issue people have with invisible disabilities, mental illnesses etc.
    If they can't see it physically, they tend to assume you could choose to be "normal" or at least to hide it while in public, which is ridiculous.
    Imho it's part of the whole mind-body dualism thing that has beein going on since Descartes.
    People somehow forget the brain is part of the body and thus assume it doesn't work on the same principles.

4. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, that's another reason this argument doesn't work.

5. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I know how you feel. No one really accepts the gay side of me. They completely deny it exists. I just feel like I'm stuck in the closet.

6. WiccedGaymer

Out Status:
    A few people
    I call shenanigans

there ARE women who can pass as men & ways women can pass for men easily

there are people who can pass for other ethnicities through their natural appearance or through other methods (ex: makeup)

point is, no one should have to hide who they are

7. Hexagon

In the process, sacrificing what for most is absolutely vital to a happy and fulfilled life, the relationship. And lets not forget that people are sometimes targeted without ever coming out. There is absolutely no justification for homophobia, just as there is none for racism or sexism. Lets not argue about who has it worse, and work towards ending all three.

8. Julieno

There are other factors that make homophobia a pretty cruel form of discrimination such as the possibility of being discriminated by your own family, which won't happen if we are talking about racism or possible religious discrimination. The invisibility of LGBT people can also play against us and make us feel lonely or completely alone if our family do not accept us.

My point is not that any discrimination is worse than the other. It is that things are never as simple as they seem. Discrimination should not be allowed under any basis.

That is a pretty good point I had not considered before. Probably quite important in relation with what I said about your loved ones discriminating against you (because they do not understand why you don't just hide it)

#8 Julieno, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  9. mangotree

I've never heard this argument before now, it sounds stupid though.

10. Richie.

It's near impossible to hide IMO. Coming from someone from a straight marriage

11. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard homophobes saying "we are okey with gay people, we just want them to be in their place."

This is so stupid... I mean, where is this place? below you? hiding? sure... good slave is a silent and nonresistant slave. They just don't understand. It's annoying even to think about it.

12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    that's an incomparable and completely different argument haha.

13. PurpleGrey

Ugh, I know what you mean. I have a small handful of disorders, and while you can't tell looking at me when I'm not moving or doing anything, it's plainly obvious when I am. I talk crazy, I walk crazy, I interpret crazy, that last one is the hardest thing in the world to hide.

14. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

It was so easy to be black in the 50's, all you needed to do was wear a bunch of white clown makeup.

---------- Post added 15th Jul 2014 at 12:05 PM ----------

When I'm hallucinating it's very obvious to the people around me, I know how you feel.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    People tell me keep it in the bedroom and not in public, but have 3ways when a man asks

16. the haunted

I suppose someone could hide their sexuality if they wanted to, but why? To make other people happy and yourself miserable? I say fuck 'em! If someone is gay and wants to lead a straight lifestyle, then go on ahead, but I'm going to keep kissing girls.

17. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tend to agree with the OP...invisible diversity tends to be *more* painful due to its invisibility. You *can* hide...and that's what sucks...because people then can *expect* you to hide, or you are free to feel their expectations to hide, in a way that if you're black (and can't pass as white) just isn't relevant.

Let's recap then, shall we? Hate sucks. Being hated sucks. Having a group to which you belong being hated sucks. Hiding sucks. Misrepresenting who you are sucks.

So hiding (or feeling like you have to hide or are expected to hide) in order to misrepresent who you are in order to avoid being hated because you belong to a particular group sucks more than just being hated because of who you are.