1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4-way stop signs vs. roundabouts

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Jul 15, 2014.

?

4-way stop signs vs. roundabouts

Poll closed Aug 14, 2014.
  1. 4-way stop signs

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. roundabouts

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  3. no preference

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. While I was studying for my license, I noticed a section where the handbook teaches how to drive through a roundabout.

I know that roundabouts are very common in Europe and people have to drive around them to get to a different path. They are almost non-existent in the U.S, but I have encountered roundabouts when I was practicing how to drive.

I know that both of them control traffic intersections by slowing them down. I feel that roundabouts are better. They're cool to drive around and it saves gas since I didn't have to step on the brakes to stop the car, which uses up unnecessary gasoline.

Roundabouts only require you to slow down down and keep driving. Plus, 4-way stop-signs causes traffic jams on a crowded day. I wish my city would build some more.

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Roundabouts are great on roads with a lower traffic volume, but are pretty bad for very busy routes, or at least that's what I've observed.

The roundabout at the Arc de Triomphe in Paris is an example of where NOT to have a roundabout.

[youtube]BliGIPQ_KHc[/youtube]

#2 imnotreallysure, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my God, who thought that round-about was a good idea??

Four-way stop. If it's a high traffic area, a stop light. My mom keeps promising to take me to this round-about in a nearby city that's apparently terrifying because there are a lot of off-shoots and drivers are easily confused about where they need to be. Doesn't help that she's had to drive a semi through it. We don't have a lot of them so I've never had to drive through one, but they are around.

4. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Roundabouts are popping up around here more and more, and I find that if you just wait your turn, you'll be fine. I think 4-way stops are better because then you don't have any moving targets. Although there's a fairly busy 3-way stop up the road from here and people don't seem to realize that yes, even if you're turning right, you still have to stop. Like we learned in preschool, you have to wait your turn to go through the intersection.

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Roundabouts are fine providing people use their indicators to give a clear signal of their intentions to other motorists. I live a two minute drive from a large roundabout with five exits and it's a real pain if another motorist enters the roundabout without indicating... its like saying, read my mind!

In the UK, it's made worse for many foreign motorists as we drive on the opposite side of the road.

Just as an addition, we have something of a mania for mini roundabouts in my part of the world. Now, they do not work as you end up with a stalemate situation to see who blinks first.

#5 PatrickUK, Jul 15, 2014
  6. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is the roundabout I learned to navigate roundabouts on. Nobody ever uses the inside lane, and at night, this can be a deathtrap. Somebody who didn't have their headlights on went out the entrance and my passengers and I found ourselves nose to nose with a Ford F-150 going the wrong way. Not to mention people don't know that a yield sign means "Let oncoming traffic go before you make your way into traffic," not "Floor it and make the person who had the right-of-way slam on their brakes." They also seem not to realize that you can't just stop and back up to get back into the roundabout when you took the wrong exit.

[​IMG]

#6 AwesomGaytheist, Jul 15, 2014
  7. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm surrounded by roundabouts where I live. I prefer them as from my experience they tend to keep a smoother traffic flow, provide everyone on them is sensible and curious.

Happy days :slight_smile:

8. Candace

I mean, there's a new roundabout near my house, and I like it and all, but I wished that they signed it better. Granted, I think it beats having an actual intersection and having a risk of collisions, but this roundabout has six roads running into it. A very high risk of going down the wrong street indeed.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the intersection. For desolate roads, 4-way stops are better. But circles are a great in-between for when an intersection is too traveled for stop signs and not quite enough for a light. There's also the matter of space; sometimes there isn't enough for a roundabout, although occasionally it's the best bet.

10. 741852963

I suggest you watch this which seems quite conclusive that roundabouts are more efficient (reduce traffic) and safer than four-way-stops (and that's not my British bias talking, its an American show!):

[YOUTUBE]4 Way Stop Vs Roundabout - Mythbusters - YouTube[/YOUTUBE]

Ultimately I'm a huge supporter of roundabouts for environmental reasons. Roundabouts keep traffic moving and drastically reduce idling. If you are having to come to a full stop with your engine kept running and then get back up to driving speed every few miles you are wasting a significant amount of fuel (particularly in an American gas guzzler!) vs. simply slowing down slightly as you would on approach to most roundabouts and then going round it at 20-30mph.

#10 741852963, Jul 15, 2014
  11. Hexagon

Really? You don't have many in the US? I never knew that. Here, there are little white disks painted on the ground which everyone drives over even though they aren't supposed to. And big ones too.

12. justjade

I hate roundabouts so much! I basically hate anything that involves merging without having to stop. I like stopping and looking around before I go, so 4-way stop signs are good enough for me.

13. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Long ago I lived in Massachusetts, a magical land where everyone knows how to use a roundabout. Now that I live elsewhere, nobody knows how to use them, and they put them in the most ridiculous unnecessary places.

14. Candace

What about idling to merge? I like roundabouts too, but like person above said, I think that it depends on where you put the roundabout. A rural intersection in Indiana? No need. A busy intersection in Chicago where five roads come together? Definitely. Also, if the signage is good enough to not confuse drivers, then you can have drivers save fuel by not going down the wrong street or going around the roundabout again trying to look for the right street. (this is all from personal experience with a roundabout in my city).

15. justjade

Yeah, that's the thing. The only roundabout I know of is in Athens, Ohio, and signage is not good. If you're going to have a roundabout, it's got to be done right. But then again, Athens is a very ass-backwards town when it comes to road signage or lack thereof. No wonder so many people ride bikes there.

16. Candace

Well it leads to more accidents, confused/irritated drivers, and loss of gas. If the signage is poor, then the roundabout is actually not any benefit at all.

17. justjade

Yeah, and sometimes the roundabouts are so small that people are just coming in and going out in all directions in a very tight circle. Lots of braking and turning. In fact, I heard the only reason the roundabout in Athens is even there because of a statue or something. If that's so, then that's a stupid reason. Four roads converge at that point. Yeah, it's busy, but I'm sure they could have just put an intersection with a stop light there, maybe had more lanes per road.

18. 741852963

I think the drivers are to blame for that though.

It does seem many American drivers are switched off at the wheel (when you have such poker straight roads, and automatic vehicles its inevitable - there is simply less to do/focus on so the brain turns off, highway hypnosis and all that), many could use something to force them to engage and be more mindful more. When I toured America I saw on more than one occasion women doing their makeup at the wheel, and one woman painting her nails whilst driving on an freeway. It was insane.

19. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It really is amazing. Some of the nicest people I've ever met get in the car and all of a sudden they're going all Steve Wilkos on other drivers. It's like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

20. Candace

But if the signage is not well signed at the roundabout, therefore causing the driver to go down the unintended street, whose fault is it now?