1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WTF Panphobia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by The Escapist, Jul 15, 2014.

1. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is going to be a bit of a rant, I just needed to vent somewhere as I've had it up to here today with bullshit more than normal. I hope you guys won't mind.

So there's this super lovely little video I watched.
    [YOUTUBE]a1ZiZal2DXQ[/YOUTUBE]
    Seriously, (I have a thing for live coming out videos, there's something so real you can relate to, might just be me being weird, but anyway)
    this is the sweetest little thing where a girl comes out as pan and her father is amazingly supportive and loving and perfect.
    Awesome.

I see that half of the ratings are dislikes. Okay.. that's strange... Why?

The description she wrote reads:
    Greatest dad ever. Like seriously. Awesome.
    I recorded this so my dad and I can look back on one of the biggest moments of my life so far. I asked him if I could upload it and send it to close friends and he said yes. If you are watching this please respect our privacy.
    He even gave permission to upload it. :thumbsup: (She does mention privacy, I hope it's okay I'm mentioning it further, but she did upload it publicly on YouTube and shit's already been done. I just really need to let off some steam.

The comment section (bet you didn't see that coming) is flooded with horrific things about people who are pan, and pansexuality in general.
    I knew you guys got alot of shit, people claiming it (you) doesn't exist and all that.
    But holy shit man. :eek: For a random, small views video it has had war declared on it for some unfathomable reason.
    Now I'm used to the internet, I'm used to the evil YouTube trolls, and don't worry I'm not obsessed with YT comment sections. But every blue moon there's a shitstorm like this which gets to me, pushes me over the edge. This one was so personal.
    All this bullshit about pansexuality being fake, she did this for attention, it's pedophilia, her dad hates this, she/they have a mental illness, they want her to die.
    It's weird to me because I've never seen this on all the other recorded coming outs I've watched over a long time span. (Pretty much every one on YouTube to be honest.)
    The fuck did they explode here? Is this an absurd case, please tell me why still, or is it hatred for people who are pan itself? Is this extremity of the lies and BS normal?
    They made bi's seem accepted with their vile. Biphobia is what originally ruined my day (the neverending rejection from both sides gets to you), and then I see this and I'm just so done.

The word 'biphobia' is slowly getting into the mix, along with bi-erasure, but I never see 'panphobia' used. If this is the accepted reaction to pan orientations, shouldn't it or an equivalent of it be in use? That's not the main topic here (I'm not sure what is, I just needed to let it out), but, is this hostility common and will we be seeing more of it as societies become more aware? And eventually accepting, I'm still optimistic about the future, that doesn't change the fact that we still have to live here in 2014.

Exactly how normal is this bullying? And (*hug*) to all of you who have to deal with this non-sense, in any amount. For all I know I'm pan myself. I never see anyone who is out of the cis-male/cis-female ordinary, it would really suck to add more shitty hatred to my life if I find that out in the future.

Im just so ready to go to sleep and refresh my mind tomorrow. I have no idea where to actually post this so I hope here isn't too bad. I really just wanted to vent.
    Peace and love, hopefully soon worldwide. <3

2. Candace

Wow, that is one supportive dad and I wish that everyone had someone like him! I'm not pansexual myself, but I could imagine it being harder for you guys since there's the whole "explaining what pansexual is". Frankly, my folks don't know what that is and would probably give the stupid response of "does it mean you like pans?" :bang:.

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wouldn't Panphobia mean fear of everything?

4. The Escapist

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I looked it up to see when I posted. It's just that I've never seen an equivalent to mean the specific discrimination and concerns people who are pan face.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm not shocked by this I didn't expect it so soon but I saw it coming,any one wanna bet people would start avoiding using the label pansexual in the future because of stigma just like bisexuality? I sure do.

6. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Your surprise about the negativity of those comments makes it sound like you never realized that most people are assholes.

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

there are negative comments in the comment section of wrinkly puppy videos

don't even pay them no mind, epople are NUTS

8. wanderinggirl

Or fear of pans.

Ok i know that joke is old. But I hate ignorance and if I don't laugh I'm just gonna cry so. Those people don't deserve my rage.

I can't help but think that this is a failing of the public discourse, where gay and lesbian issues are pushed to the forefront and nobody discusses bisexuality/pansexuality. There's just no mainstream understanding of it, it makes sense that people would hate on it out of ignorance. It's not justified by any means; but i understand where panphobia would be coming from.

9. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I feel like most people on youtube are negative assholes, regardless of the topic

10. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Now I don't mean to sound mean when I say this but, the reason bisexuality / pansexuality issues is not in the fore front is one bisexuals face a lot of discrimination from the L and the G of the lgbt community as well as other bisexuals . Another problem that I have noticed is a lot of bisexuals spend their time not coming out as bisexual but either coming out as gay or straight ;So how is your issues going to be at the fore front when your either not standing up for yourself and of course erasing your sexuality by either going gay or straight ?:confused:, I'm pretty sure there are bisexuals that do but not very many do , if many did then the issues will be at the fore front.,Instead of complaining why not fight for your spot and do some action . How do you think lesbians and gays got respect because they fought for it that's why . Why not fight for yours instead of disguising your self as either gay or straight just because of phobia and stigma ?:confused:
    Also many pansexuals are also disguising themselves as bisexuals usually I get it why and with this video it looks like they are trying maybe this will inspire more of them .
    Another thing to is we L and G also have to help them and I'll be glad to help any of you bisexuals or pansexuals that want your issues in the fore front but bisexuals and pansexual people it's going to have to start with you

#10 stocking, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  11. Foxface

I feel negative commentors on any social media come in two flavors

1. People who are ignorant and pathetic...and I don't care about them

2. People who just want to be edgy...also don't care