1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An article on Speedos! What do you think of them?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's an interesting article.

It mentions how certain parts of the world are ok with Speedos or similar swimwear for men, certain parts of the world are mixed (the U.S., for one), and certain parts of the world (Asian countries) do not approve of them.

I think they look better on someone who on someone who has a least a medium build and slightly filled out, and that they do not look good on those who are too thin and, at the other extreme, on bodybuilders and whose muscles are excessive, but they are the ones who always photograph in them to make every muscle stand out. I'd bet there is higher ownership of Speedo type skivvies among G/B men than straight men.

Here's the article. The person pictured in the article looks like they wear a Speedo well.

Speedos are growing in popularity and bathers are going buff: poll - MSN Living

What's your take on this kind of swimwear for guys?

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, after dropping 100 lbs, I have just enough leftover skin that I'd feel unattractive wearing one myself--to me, they look best on a more toned body, and that's really not me. (Although if I could ever fund a little tuck, I'd have no problem with it at all!) Oddly enough, though, I think I'd actually feel more comfortable completely in the buff, because from what I've seen of nude beaches, extra skin or not, I wouldn't look bad compared to some of the others there.

3. Ticklish Fish

haha, i don't evvn go to beach a lot ._.

but i think swim brief would look good on men. The comments mentioned about tats, and IDK how I feel about that, with a swim brief.

4. Candace

I think that they look good on the right person. Some people can pull it off, some cannot unfortunately.

5. Speedos can look good depending on the person. People with toned muscles would look good in them. Basically, the male swim team at my school LOL

6. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speedos get two thumbs up from me.

7. Hexagon

I think it isn't my business what other people wear.

8. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a beach person, or rather, I don't like being at a crowded beach. I have no interest in telling someone whether they should or shouldn't wear one (unless they're refusing to put on sunscreen while in a speedo, in which case they really need to), but I wouldn't ever wear one on its own.

9. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ehhh it depends really. overall? i think i prefer em over one man bikini. would i wear it myself? hell no.

10. Yosia

I personally am not too fond of them. I definitely couldnt wear them and i think they only look good on like 1/50 people.

11. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like them- only if you have fit body.

12. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    on the right man, not me, I'm all for them.:eusa_naug:icon_bigg:icon_wink

13. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd wear whatever I feel comfortable in, if my guy wanted me to wear one fuck it I probably would, I need to stop caring what others think and feel good about myself, shape and all and if my guy thought of wearing one I'd make sure he felt good in it too.

14. LiquidSwords

I'm a fan of the short shorts but speedos are too much. Couple of times holidaying on the continent I've been places where they are compulsory ie board shorts not allowed, and I did feel a bit naked.

15. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If the people themselves are comfortable wearing them, then it don't think it's for us to judge.

Though I may be saying that because I spent my childhood in and out of competitive swimming training so I'm very used to seeing guys in speedos.

Honestly, I can't say I like looking at them, but if that's what they want to do, then my opinion doesn't really matter in any way.

16. LiquidSwords

I don't know why so many people need to qualify their posts with some sort of "people can wear what they want though it's not my place to stop them" type disclaimer. Well yeah, but you can still have an opinion on whether they look good or not!

17. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Y'know that's a good point, yea they just look good.

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I often wear a Speedo-type suit when swimming. They simply work better than trunks. I mostly wear them for lap swimming, but have been known to wear one for "recreation swim" times. Most of the time, that was done when one pool I swam at also ran a single lap lane. But I did wear a Speedo-style suit one night when I went to one pool simply to try the 3 meter diving board. (I planned to wear trunks. But as I walked to the pool from the parking lot, I thought about how much I hate trunks, and how much better my real swim suit was. And I reflected that I really didn't think the real swim suit was that immodest--more leg showed, but it wasn't the super tight Speedo that shows everything. So the real swim suit got used.)

I haven't been near a beach since the 1980s, at least the standard beach where one goes to have a day at the beach. But if I went, I'd certainly consider wearing a Speedo-type suit, at least if I were planning on actually swimming.

I get a little cranky about American attitudes towards Speedos. It's perfectly acceptable for women to wear two pieces of dental floss and a prayer, but even a modestly cut Speedo is "disgusting."

I also get tired of the "only wear a Speedo if you have the right body" screams. If you don't like how a guy looks, feel free to look elsewhere.

19. UsernamePending1

Vancouver[Mon-Fri]-Calgary[Sat-Sun], Canada
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol

1) I'm nowhere near inshape enough for those
    2) For all intents, I think jockstraps are more fun anyways, so if you're gonna be braveheart..
    3) Considering the number of weirdos I see tanning randomly around campus in their Speedos, I think I've grown annoyed by them!

So very negative

20. 741852963

Myself? I prefer the feel of boardshorts but I say go for it! I'm pro-speedo on others!

We often hear in the press about female "body-shaming": telling women what they should and shouldn't wear based on what is seen as appropriate for their weight or position in society.

However I think there is an incredible amount of body-shaming done to men by both other men and women. Your "put it away", "think of the children!" or "nobody needs to see that" comments. Anything showing the slightest silhouette of the male form (be it skinny jeans, a tight tshirt or speedos!) is enough to trigger exaggerated displays of revulsion and protest in other people. It is all very silly. I can sort of understand it in homophobic straight men (as obviously they feel they have to expressly demonstrate a lack of attraction) but in gay guys and straight women? Just don't get it.

If I see a woman in a bikini with a slight camel toe it really doesn't bother me, it is just part of her anatomy that is hinted at (same as if a nipple shows through a top). Its not like she has her lady parts on full display.