1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

McCain's Definition of "Family"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Zexion, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Zexion

GRAH!

I have never been so infuriated in my whole life!

Ok, so I was browsing McCain's site to check up on his political platform when I found this little gem:

So apparently gay couples can't raise a child properly. Faaabulous. XD

This is just one of the many things about McCain that really irk me.

Anyway, just thought you guys ought to know.

(I don't like either candidate, to be honest. I think I'll just move to another country like England or Australia. \o/)

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah it could be assumed that's what his definition of marriage is. That's a conservative for ya. Hmm. Well I'm voting Obama anyways so hopefully that'll be a success in the White House. :slight_smile:

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Conservative yes but he doesn't hold a candle to his running mate, Sarah Palin.

This is from MoveOn.org

Yesterday was John McCain's 72nd birthday. If elected, he'd be the oldest president ever inaugurated. And after months of slamming Barack Obama for "inexperience," here's who John McCain has chosen to be one heartbeat away from the presidency: a right-wing religious conservative with no foreign policy experience, who until recently was mayor of a town of 9,000 people.

Huh?

Who is Sarah Palin? Here's some basic background:

She was elected Alaska's governor a little over a year and a half ago. Her previous office was mayor of Wasilla, a small town outside Anchorage. She has no foreign policy experience.1

Palin is strongly anti-choice, opposing abortion even in the case of rape or incest.2

She supported right-wing extremist Pat Buchanan for president in 2000. 3

Palin thinks creationism should be taught in public schools.4

She's doesn't think humans are the cause of climate change.5

She's solidly in line with John McCain's "Big Oil first" energy policy. She's pushed hard for more oil drilling and says renewables won't be ready for years. She also sued the Bush administration for listing polar bears as an endangered species—she was worried it would interfere with more oil drilling in Alaska.6
    How closely did John McCain vet this choice? He met Sarah Palin once at a meeting. They spoke a second time, last Sunday, when he called her about being vice-president. Then he offered her the position.7
    This is information the American people need to see. Please take a moment to forward this email to your friends and family.

We also asked Alaska MoveOn members what the rest of us should know about their governor. The response was striking. Here's a sample:

She is really just a mayor from a small town outside Anchorage who has been a governor for only 1.5 years, and has ZERO national and international experience. I shudder to think that she could be the person taking that 3AM call on the White House hotline, and the one who could potentially be charged with leading the US in the volatile international scene that exists today.—Rose M., Fairbanks, AK

She is VERY, VERY conservative, and far from perfect. She's a hunter and fisherwoman, but votes against the environment again and again. She ran on ethics reform, but is currently under investigation for several charges involving hiring and firing of state officials. She has NO experience beyond Alaska. —Christine B., Denali Park, AK

As an Alaskan and a feminist, I am beyond words at this announcement. Palin is not a feminist, and she is not the reformer she claims to be. —Karen L., Anchorage, AK

Alaskans, collectively, are just as stunned as the rest of the nation. She is doing well running our State, but is totally inexperienced on the national level, and very much unequipped to run the nation, if it came to that. She is as far right as one can get, which has already been communicated on the news. In our office of thirty employees (dems, republicans, and nonpartisans), not one person feels she is ready for the V.P. position.—Sherry C., Anchorage, AK

She's vehemently anti-choice and doesn't care about protecting our natural resources, even though she has worked as a fisherman. McCain chose her to pick up the Hillary voters, but Palin is no Hillary. —Marina L., Juneau, AK

I think she's far too inexperienced to be in this position. I'm all for a woman in the White House, but not one who hasn't done anything to deserve it. There are far many other women who have worked their way up and have much more experience that would have been better choices. This is a patronizing decision on John McCain's part- and insulting to females everywhere that he would assume he'll get our vote by putting "A Woman" in that position.—Jennifer M., Anchorage, AK

So Governor Palin is a staunch anti-choice religious conservative. She's a global warming denier who shares John McCain's commitment to Big Oil. And she's dramatically inexperienced.

In picking Sarah Palin, John McCain has made the religious right very happy. And he's made a very dangerous decision for our country.

In the next few days, many Americans will be wondering what McCain's vice-presidential choice means. Please pass this information along to your friends and family.

Thanks for all you do.

–Ilyse, Noah, Justin, Karin and the rest of the team

Sources:

1. "Sarah Palin," Wikipedia, Accessed August 29, 2008
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

2. "McCain Selects Anti-Choice Sarah Palin as Running Mate," NARAL Pro-Choice America, August 29, 2008
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17515&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=1

3. "Sarah Palin, Buchananite," The Nation, August 29, 2008
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17736&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=2

4. "'Creation science' enters the race," Anchorage Daily News, October 27, 2006
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17737&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=3

5. "Palin buys climate denial PR spin—ignores science," Huffington Post, August 29, 2008
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17517&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=4

6. "McCain VP Pick Completes Shift to Bush Energy Policy," Sierra Club, August 29, 2008
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17518&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=5

"Choice of Palin Promises Failed Energy Policies of the Past," League of Conservation Voters, August 29, 2008
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17519&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=6

"Protecting polar bears gets in way of drilling for oil, says governor," The Times of London, May 23, 2008
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=17520&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=7

7 "McCain met Palin once before yesterday," MSNBC, August 29, 2008
    http://www.moveon.org/r?r=21119&id=13661-6437183-IZoAGex&t=8

4. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

This is why I went from McCain to Obama :slight_smile:

I'm a republican (not extreme in any way though :wink: ), and his personal values have turned me away from him...I'm a small government person, and so is he, but him and his fiercly conservative running mate are too much.

5. lodiug

Wow!!! That is one sick woman!! She doesn't care if polar bears become extinct......how washed up can you be??

6. Malchik89

Yeah that is basically everything i expected out of Mccain being uber conservative, his values are just a little off for my taste. And Sarah Palin...like put her back in alaska and out of washington cuz she has a very Umbridge feel to her (harry potter reference). Chaney was scary enough to have as vp, we don't need another psycho

7. Daximus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think McCain is the devil and he's here to destroy us all.

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
  9. Quitex

Quitex Guest

She is disgusting. But even though I am somewhat gay, she is *very* pretty.

10. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    She reminds me of some of the naughty librarians from my brothers playboys.

But seriously given how old McCain he it is hardly a stretch of the imagination to see him dieing during a 4 year presidency and if he does it would leave her in charge of the U.S. She has so little foreign policy experience it is sad that McCain would even consider picking her as the person to become president. Whether liberal or conservative I think we can all agree that she isn't ready to be president.

As for McCain's stance on the "family" it is hardly surprising. Given the current political atmosphere of the conservative party they have to take this stance or they risk alienating there base.

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly, when I saw her, my first thought was "He picked a librarian?"

Within hours, I had already grown to dislike her.

At least when he was campaigning alone, I still had a little respect left for McCain.

And just some fun stuff, both Palin and her home state Alaska are younger than McCain.

12. I agree, i think her morals have got a little um, sidetracked at some point in her life. But oh well, every body is entitled to their views and opinions.

I just have to say, Becky, you must put so much work into your posts such as the one you have posted in this thread, I for one, am very grateful for the hard work and appreciate being able to keep up to date with what's hip-n-happening with the world without having to trail from site to site, so yeah, good job :grin:

But seriously, that woman....

who could think that her views would do any good to the world? Anyway, I'm going to start breathing now...

13. rosiejuly3

It took me 5 min to start disliking her. Before I didn't really care who was put in office, but now if mccain and her are put it I swear I will figure out a way to move to a different country.

14. Tim

Tim

I agree with a LOT of his takes on problems in society, even though he's republican, I'd vote for him if he supported Gay Marriage/Adoption, but he doesn't, and that matter outweighs every other things, so he ain't gettin my vote~

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    In some ways I agree. He does make some sense, in some ways, and I don't hate him or think he's an idiot or anything. If he were truly braindead he wouldn't have made it as far as the Republican nominee. He just has a very different perspective of the world than I, and much of the current generation, do.

16. ccdd

ccdd Guest

The "foundation of Western Civilization"?

I thought that accolade belonged to Plato and the Greeks :lol:

17. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not so much any more. Now the mini-mall, the McDonalds, and the Wal-Mart are the foundation of Western Civilization.

18. Ambrosio

Ambrosio Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Its also true that Mccain left his older wife for the much younger Cindy Mccain. I guess when you hit 50- something. A male can upgrade to a wife in her 20-30's.

I guess that's instilled in the conservative value.

I' happen to be more "conservative" in values, but not to the extremeties of Palin. Actually Mccain isn't a true conservative from his policies.

Though Mccain's trophy wife is about 50 years out-dated. In the 1950's she would have been perfect. Just stand there and look pretty.
    NOT NOW.

19. otc877

otc877 Guest

In before the lesbians, Palin is one sexy librarian//polar bear nazi.

20. Danielle

Danielle Guest

Out of all the republicans McCain was the best choice but now with Palin as his running mate I expect Obama to win convincingly