1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to change my appearance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by whereamigoing, Jul 18, 2014.

1. whereamigoing

I love who i am and what i look like naturally. but i want to make a few changes, like dyinng a red streak into the front of my hair or getting an earring but my mother won't let me. she says ill look gay ( as if i care, but I'm still closeted so i can't say that) but now would be the perfect time. I'm i. high school. i don't need to make any special applications like a job or to college yet. plus it would make me feel awesom. how can i convince her, at least on the hair part?

2. Hexagon

I faced a similar problem at your age. I ignored my parents and did it anyway.

3. Yosia

Im in the process of changing my appearance too. Just say "how can a look make someone look gay?" Because its cant.

4. PinkCammelia90

Same as Hexagon, I changed my appearance a lot when I was younger without consulting anyone. I've had my hair damn-near every colour you can think of, and got a few piercings too (one or two of which I no longer have).

As long as you don't royally piss off your school, you should be okay. As for 'looking gay' - it's not like you're getting a pride flag tattooed across your forehead, is it? It's a bit of a ridiculous thing to say. I say go for it.

5. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You could do these things first without being permanent.
    There are nice hair extension clips available, small streaks in different colours. Advantage: you can change them easily.
    Same with earrings. You can then show how cute it looks before making anything permanent.
    Just wash those things before using them (if they smell its prob low quality), and buy good quality, maybe real hair.

6. whereamigoing

My mom tryed to get me to get an earring when i was younger but my dad vetoed that. plus I've already tried red non permenant dye but my mom made me wash it out before going to school.

7. Hexagon

You're mother can't make you do anything. You're an independant human being.

8. whereamigoing

Trust me the womman is a master of manipulation and blackmail, she can and has.its not like i want gauges i can shove my hand through. she absolutely ridiculous and i think ill try just doing it one day and not telling her until she sees it.

9. Hexagon

I'm not saying she isn't. What I am saying is that short of physical force, she cannot force you to do anything. It's your choice to let her. It can be hard to resist that kind of person, but it is possible.

As for colouring your hair or piercings, my hair is currently a greenish blue mohawk. I have, like, fifteen piercings. Both things aren't precisely temporary, but they can be undone. You're young, you're entitled to explore things and piss off your parents a little. Enjoy life a little. Don't let your mother stop you.

10. whereamigoing

I'm going to try getting a friends mom to do my hair for me.

11. Nightdream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go ahead, just be careful to not do anything too extreme.

12. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

Your mother is being unreasonable. She's telling you to look straight at all costs, and I don't even understand how that makes you look gay. If you wanted to go out in a gold sequin shirt and assless chaps, then maybe she'd have a valid complaint.

13. lowkey

lowkey Guest

im in the process of growing dreads. do what you want!, if you have an inspiration and an image you like, go for it. commit to it though, sometimes it takes awhile to adjust. The only thing i change drastically through is my hair. sometimes its in a bandana or a pony tail, or under a lid/beanie , when i leave it alone i have john snows hair from game of thrones. previously i had a fohawk for a couple years so for me this is drastic

14. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Haha cx I laughed like an idiot at THIS

I don't know. I think, do what will make you feel better about yourself. Just be careful because there are people in the world who are cruel and who will make your life a living hell if you "look gay", but don't confuse what I'm saying. Fuck em all If they don't like how you look, so what, brush it off because like I say "I don't live my life trying to impress anyone". Be yourself!

Good luck :slight_smile:

15. Aquacielo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    High School is like the best time of your life, it's that certain time of your life when you'll make most of your fun memories, it's a really good time to explore different looks that suit you :grin: Dress up and style yourself the effin way you want to, you can't please everybody anyway so what matters is what you think of yourself and if looking a certain way makes you feel awesome then go for it! :grin:

Chin up, smile on, gorgeous! haha

16. Candace

I mean, I think that it's good that you're wanting to test the waters and try to form your own identity via clothing styles/appearances. Do what makes you happy. However, please note that there are possibly some limits. Assless pants, you can leave those out of the equation. It's a public school for crying out loud :lol:

17. whereamigoing

My stepmom said shed bring me to get my ear peirced but i still have to get my mom to say yes. i don't think shell care about it all that much though. she asked me if i wanted one when i was in 4th grade so what's different now right? still working on the hair thing though.unfortunately the guy i like doesn't want me to dye my hair or get a peircing either. but he said if i do its my choicebut he thinks i look fine the way i am which i didn't exactly understand because he's supposedly straight but whatever. I'm going to talk to my mom about it tommorow

18. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would go for it. I regret not taking much initiative with my looks when I was younger, then again, I had to do a lot of fighting with family just to get permission on what I could do with my own body.

19. Sam.i.am1130

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You just have to decide which is more important for yourself and do it. What your mom is doing is very common. Get used to it. LOL.

If your sure youre gay and it isnt just something else, youre very unlikely to live otherwise later.

Just balance out the consequences and use intelligence. People are going to disagree, thats what they do. YOu have to plow through it anyways.

20. Elf Wynd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Frankly, if you were my child (and you are your parent's child), I would be terrified that you would do something that gets you singled out for bullying and bashing by others.

As for piercings and tats and other permanent stuff... While I have no problems with these in adults.... Well there the catch, adult. I would want my kid to wait until they are mature enough and understand fully the consequences of getting a permanent mark or hole that they may regret later down the road.

I'm pretty certain that the denial to do these things are indeed in your best interest and are acts your mom is doing demonstrating her love for you.

It is her job to look out for you and try to keep you from as many mistakes as possible at this time in your life.

And since you are under their roof, you need to abide by their rules.

You will be 18 in a short while, legally an adult and legally able to make such choices of your own free will. Be patient....

Oh and go tell your mother you love her and give her a hug....