1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question related to the legality of asking what's one sexual orientation is.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Reptillian

Several years ago, I had a unpleasant incident with a man who was interested into me, and I had someone ask me what's my sexual orientation (Long story, not interested into story-telling moments). I didn't answer because it wasn't any of the person's business and my sexual orientation is no one's business. Just remembering this, I just had a question on my head, it is legal for one in position of power to ask about your sexual orientation?

This was at high school.

#1 Reptillian, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends. I'm not quite sure about what's legal and what not. But in terms of a person in authority asking you about your sex life and attractions, even when it's clearly making you uncomfortable, is not right in any way and could probably be considered sexual harassment.

3. YourSoThirsty

Freedom of speech they have a right to ask you even though I understand where your coming from. But don't forget that the constitution says you have the right to reMian silent it's a double edged sword :slight_smile:

4. Candace

Like the guy above me said, it's a double edged sword. He has the right to ask you just as much as you have the right to remain silent. I just would like some more details on what happened because I have no idea why your sexual orientation would have to do with anything.

5. WiccedGaymer

Out Status:
    A few people
    well, it's legal to ask, but it's not legal to make the person you ask answer

it's a very personal question. they can't make you share details like that

6. Jason29

I see nothing wrong with someone asking you never know just by someone knowing could prevent un wanted comments or bullying.
    However it is always your right not to answer.