1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever just wanted to not be labeled

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by YourSoThirsty, Jul 19, 2014.

1. YourSoThirsty

Sometimes I just wish humans could coexist without labeling each other you know? No gay straight black white Christian Jew. Obviously we can't just say they don't exist but why do we have to make them such a big deal I'm human not alien. Anyone else just wish these attributes weren't exploited to seperate us we are the same... Right?

2. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Not really ;I just wish people would stop treating people badly or less than, because their different from them . Because even if there was no such thing as labels it wouldn't stop people from being complete ass wholes to one another .:dry:

3. YourSoThirsty

That's what I mean stop using labels really is what I was trying to get at

4. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Even if you stop using labels it's still not going to solve anything, it will not stop others from treating people poorly , I mean before lgbt in had a name or a community people of that group were looked down upon and pretty much told to keep silent . Lgbt did not start with a name or a group but it created one in order to stop mistreatment of people from that group .
    Sure everyone can stop using gay , straight , lesbian or bi but it isn't going to make anyone accept lgbt people any better or treat them any better . Same with the issue of race .
    Why do you even think these groups were formed because people wanted to bring awareness to people being mistreated and put a stop to it and bring it out in the open . Why do you think things are getting better for lgbt groups now.
    It's very silly to think that if you just get rid of labels everything will some how magically get better .
    I do think the future generation will not put so much importance on labels but it'll still be used

#4 stocking, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is one of the reasons why I'm not out.

I don't like the stereotype associated with gay men, and therefore don't want to be put under this label.

6. Hexagon

It might be nice to stop defining ourselves by certain things, but I don't think the whole concept of labels should be rejected. How would we speak?

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. Labels are language. Don't define someone by a single label, but we're all made up of them in some way or another.

We can stop identifying Jews as Jews, but it won't stop anti-Semites. It means that we'll pretend that nothing's happening against them. Same with any oppressed group. It basically ends up with ignoring patterns in discrimination and refusing to acknowledge that some groups need help more than others.

I don't like the idea that "we're all the same." Not only is it wrong, it tends to set a standard for what that same should be. Better to say that it's good to be different.

8. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    All of this.

Also, finding out that there is a word for who you are and how you feel can be a huge relief. I know that's how I felt when I heard about the word 'demisexual', knowing that I wasn't alone or weird and knowing it was real was just a great feeling.

9. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really care about the label gay, I just wish people would realise it isn't what defines me. I am more then just gay, so please remember my other less dramatic labels. I didn't do much to be gay, it's just who I am, I worked hard on my degree so define me by what I do, not who I date.

10. jaxon thomas

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    GAY guys usually don't care about labels.that will fit them into a tiny box and they can't explore their sexuality

11. Hexagon

And you say this with the authority of what experience, in particular?

12. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't mind being labeled by cultural or intellectual attributes such as my religion (on paper), my ancestral ties, and as an enthusiast of certain hobbies or specific interests. As for other things, I'm not crazy about labels because they are usually not about culture and intellect.

13. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Labels are very useful to me, but not to a ridiculous extent that we give a word to everything.

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like them for descriptive purposes, but once they're used to separate people, then they lose their luster fast.

15. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This

I think Lgbt labels should just count for dating and civil right stuff and that's it but it will take a while before we get their .