1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sexuality is fluid

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lowkey, Jul 20, 2014.

1. lowkey

lowkey Guest

I feel like people are mostly misinterpreting the sense of the phrase, 'sexuality is fluid'

Over a population you will find a fluid spectrum of sexuality. But specifically for a human being his or her self, sexuality is not really fluid, its pretty solid.

If you are gay, you will probably stay gay.
    if you are straight, you will probably stay straight
    If you truly go both ways, bisexual, going by the middle 3-5 of the kinsey, (mostly 4) then you will most likely stay bisexual.

2. Hexagon

Some peoples sexuality is fluid. They aren't in a majority though. The term 'sexuality is fluid' tends to imply that everyone's is, and that you should really sleep with me even though you aren't attracted to my gender, because you really are.

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think sexual fluidity is everyone a bit bi or sometimes bi in the right circumstances.
    I see it as a woman could be straight all her life and fall in love with someone of the same sex same with a straight man and a lesbian falling ,in love with one person of the opposite sex or just plain being sexually attracted to them .
    Also some people who are bisexual and for a while, might only be into one sex and then it might change to another .

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be extremely fluid. But it's rapidly settling down into an even 50/50 split. Even on days where I'm feeling more gay or more straight, I could get attracted to the non-preferred sex with relative ease.

5. I'm not sure how fluid it is in reality. I think people just come to a better understanding of their own sexuality as they mature.

When people look back on their childhood and say "I was always gay" or "I knew I was gay when I was 12" or whatever, I think it is usually hindsight speaking - For me, at least, it was *never* that clear cut at the time. At that age, it still seemed likely that I'd find a girl & discover what love was & end up happily married with kids and a picket fence.

Still, looking back it makes complete sense to me that I was never straight, and I now understand my feelings in a way I didn't at the time. But I'm not sure my sexuality was ever "fluid" - or actually changed. It's my understanding of my feelings, and my decision to put a label on myself that has changed.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    That's how I feel , I don't think I was ever fluid

7. pigpassport

pigpassport Guest

I use it in the sense that it may well be fluid for a while, if you are questioning your sexuality and working out what you like.

It may also be, as stocking said, that someone who is completely gay or straight may fall in love with someone who is not their preferred gender at some point in their lives, previously having believed they were completely straight or gay.
    Some people also say that they identify as being completely gay or straight as a simplified thing, if they're perhaps a Kinsey 2 or 5 whereby they would normally only go for someone of a specific gender but someone of the other gender wouldn't be ruled out, linking back to what I just said.

That tends to be what I mean when I say sexuality is fluid. It's more that it has the potential to be fluid for most people rather than that it actually is, because as you said once you work out what you like it's likely to stay that way for the rest of your life, but in some cases, it doesn't stay that way

8. ChromeNerd

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think sexuality might seem fluid to some people because they are still trying to understand their own sexuality. Sexuality could also seem fluid if someone is bisexual.

9. lowkey

lowkey Guest

i agree to an extenet. except that sexuality being fluid, in your context, sounds like it goes hand and hand with someone who is sexually immature, or sexually confused

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i do ask that u keep ur sexuality fluids off me, for the time being

11. YourSoThirsty

I believe I'm sexually fluid because of the change in my attractions from time to time. Who knows really can't really prove it. Maybe I'm not and I'll be attracted to 1 gender but for now that isn't the case.

12. lowkey

lowkey Guest

important to remember, aesthetic attraction from sexual. with that said, i think a bisexual is the only one that may say they do feel fluid

13. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. The only corollary to this is that when I'm in a good relationship, I tend to lean in the direction my partner's sex.

14. spockbach

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have met very few straight persons who were convinced that they could one day fall for someone of the same sex. But I have met several straight persons who believe that a gay individual might eventually find him- or herself attracted to a person of the opposite sex.

I personally have never been sexually attracted to a male. I have had emotional attachments that I misinterpreted as crushes, but hardly more.

15. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I personally would never have sex with those who have vaginas (wether they identify as female or male).. Sorry haha, I'm disgusted by my own.. I ain't touching no one else's.
    Not a fan of boobs either.

I'd only ever have sex with someone who has a penis.
    I only like really "feminine" or androgynous looking guys, but still they are guys...

I have found some girls attractive in the "oh, she's beautiful, she has a pretty face/hair/etc" way, but never the "she's hot I wanna f*** her" way..

I completely disagree that EVERYONE's sexuality is fluid. Some only like males, some only like females, some like both, some like both and more.
    Some people are fluid. But not all.

Also sorry about the language, I like being straightforward. Haha.

#15 NingyoBroken, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
  16. Candace

Well, not exactly. What a person labels themselves as is fluid, but not their sexual preference at all. I think that a person who is questioning their sexual identity might change their personal identity over time when they slowly realize whom they love and what pleasures them. But then again, they've probably been that way all along and have never realized it. A guy who is 20 that likes girls, meets a really attractive guy at a club and maybe starts to have feelings for him, only to question his sexuality and reach the presumption that he's bisexual. He didn't become bisexual, he was all along, but he might want to start label himself differently from now on.

17. RobinHood

RobinHood Guest

I agree with you. When someone (usually straight men) is trying to convince me that I can't know for sure in whom I might fall in love and what future brings - I tell them to f*** off. It's really annoying. Everyone has their own preferences. And please keep being straightforward, it's awesome! ^^

18. Lola LaRouge

Lola LaRouge Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I tend to not think sexuality is fluid at all. I think once we get into this world soon as we pop out of our moms dirty pot, we go through a life journey, and on this journey we stop by too endure this little spats, and phaeses we most go through in order for us to know who,& what we trully are. And that includes sexuality. Pretty soon even those who claim to be bisexual will eventually choose which gender, and sexuality they indentify the most with.And half the time they always end up with men.

So yeah, sexuality is pretty lear cut,& dry whether people like it or not.And it all depends on the gender you chose to be with

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Bisexuals don't always end up with men you see some bisexual women end up with women too but the reason we don't notice this is because they change their label to lesbian because of who their dating or married to .

Another thing I think people tend to confuse sexual fluidity with everyone being bisexual or bisexuality in general . Sexual fluidity as I learned is sexuality changing over time ,
    bisexuality is being attracted to both sexes most bisexuals are attracted to both sexes all their life or for most of their life . takes some to realize their bi but that's a different story . I see sexual fluidity more as someone being straight their whole life and falling in love with someone of the same sex .

Also people love to say no one is 100% anything which we can know that saying is not true because many people could also tell your they are only into one gender but I think it's a lazy cop out people say to avoid labeling or coming to the realization that they might be bisexual and not monosexual and many times the saying no one is a 100% anything or everyone is bi was and still is used to say that bisexuality doesn't exist .

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Everyone's sexuality is like water. Some folks are a calm, straight stream, and that is as fluid as they're going to be. Some folks are a curvy river, which means they may come to find something appealing, but are going to stay in their general preference zone. Some, however, are a wild and all-over-the-place canal.

I think sexuality is fluid in everyone, but the degree differs. We're all different bodies of water.