1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: your view of religious clergy people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tightrope, Jul 20, 2014.

?

your view of religious clergy people

Poll closed Nov 17, 2014.
  1. I identify with a religion and mostly think positively of clergy members

6 vote(s)
    7.2%
  2. I identify with a religion and mostly think neutrally of clergy members

13 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. I identify with a religion and mostly think negatively of clergy members

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. I do not identify with a religion and mostly think positively of clergy members

4 vote(s)
    4.8%
  5. I do not identify with a religion and mostly think neutrally of clergy members

27 vote(s)
    32.5%
  6. I do not identify with a religion and mostly think negatively of clergy members

27 vote(s)
    32.5%
  7. Other viewpoint

3 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you think of the clergy? Rather than explaining the options, take the poll. Feel free to post to elaborate on what you think and why you think that way.

I was raised in a religion, still identify with that religion, and largely have a negative opinion of the clergy.

Most Americans, by the way, view clergy members in a negative light.

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

I wouldn't mind some more "viking" raids to be honest.
    Someone has to take care of the clergy...

3. Hexagon

Whatever, really. Not religious. Clergy are just people, really, some good and others less so. I've met two openly gay pastors, one of them married to an atheist no less.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't identify with an established religion, but my own experiences with clergy have been all positive. That doesn't mean I have a good view of Baptist/Pentecostal preachers, because that's where horror stories come from, but I've seen the rest as genuinely good people.

5. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Their hypocrites

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not religious, and I have a neutral view of clergy.

7. AlamoCity

Members of the clergy can be agents of goodwill and for the betterment of the community. That said, I've met many who are toxic and cause more harm than the good they provide and leave their flocks longing for better pastoral care.

I was raised in a religion, don't identify with it, but still feel that I could end up being spiritual and/or Christian.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am irreligious, and always have been.

I am necessarily moved to the neutral position, because it depends entirely on the clergy member. I've found many to be extremely kind and well-meaning, while I've found others to be completely and utterly evil. But I haven't found it to lean one way or the other.

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not religious and I have a neutral view on the clergy.
    My opinion depends on the individual clergyman; people have different moralities, priorities, and goals.

10. shinpoku

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hmmm to me I feel like Religion on paper sounds alright, but even then it creates false hope I mean for ex. why donate money to the hospital for cancer research when I can just close my eyes and pray for people in the church with cancer to be healed. I mean doesn't that sound ridiculous, also so no matter how you break it down religion always has teachings of hate somewhere within it, whether or not that specific group chooses to take notice of those it is up to them, If they don't notice them, then their not following their religion properly.
    That's another thing religious people do wrong it should be all or nothing with the teachings, but most pick and choose what they like/what is acceptable by the community.
    I can also say that it can cause severe psychological troubles (such has happened to me). I digress though because I think I got a little ahead of my self

SOOOO IN SHORT it gets really wishywashy and confusing, which ends up causing more harm then good.

p.s. religion is total bull Sh*t which ruins peoples lives

#10 shinpoku, Jul 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  11. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

For me that depends entirely on what they preach. If they preach love and acceptance, then I view them very highly.

12. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't like the clergy as they are all strongly against gay rights and are against everything I stand for.

And since my dad is a pastor, this puts me in a difficult situation. If I come out to him he will either accept me and have the remaining clergy members kick him out/fire him or he will (most likely) not accept me and continue to preach homophobia to the masses.

13. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

I was brought up Catholic but I consider myself spiritual now more than religious. I still attend Sunday masses and I think pretty negatively of the clergy at my church because they're so homophobic. But usually, I think generally neutral when it comes to meeting clergy for the first time.

14. Joelouis

All this homophobia from the Church smacks of hypocrisy to me.
    So many of them tell us how wrong it is yet I notice they didn't have much to say regarding paedophillia all the while they were hiding child abuse by their own Clergy.

15. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm currently in the process of figuring out what religion(s) I belong to. When I used to be a Christian, I grew more and more iffy with them the older I got. I think that a large part of this came from my phobia of Christianity. Nowadays, I don't really have anything against them. I tend to avoid places like Churches and I don't interact with Clergy, simply because I don't want to get judged. Even if they were pro-LGBT, I'd still be cautious with them due to my differing beliefs.

16. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't identify with any religion, and as for how I view clergy members...well, I wouldn't say I view them negatively, but I am cautious around them. And really, it's not just clergy members, it's anyone who's religious. I don't judge them or immediately label them as homophobes, but until I learn their views regarding homosexuality, I am kind of on guard.

But obviously, there are religious people out there who aren't homophobic and don't view homosexuality as a choice/sin/whatever, and I have no problems with these people. As long as their views have no impact on my life or anyone else's life, I don't care what they believe.

17. kem

kem

I have met many wise and peaceful clergymen. I have a neutral view on them, I'm sure many are conservative, but there are very open-minded people as well.

18. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

To be frank, the very nature of the church is hypocritical. The greatest commandment set forth is to love thy neighbor. Unfortunately, if your neighbor isn't straight then it's ok to treat them like shit. :eusa_naug

I sometimes don't even come out saying I'm Catholic because of it's negativity but honestly, I just go to church to think, daydream and pray. I'm not praying to the homophobic priest preaching or the pedophiles - Nope. I'm usually praying to that Single Jewish Guy in the fashionable white robes and his Amazing Mom. :thumbsup:

19. Cass

I am gonna go ahead and say that posts like these are very welcoming to hate. Looping together all clergy members and religious people is just as bad as them judging all LGBT+ people. It's not okay from either side. So far, mostly because I only skimmed the posts there hasn't been a lot of hate, but there has been talk of hypocrisy.
    Let me adress this problem: Christianity itself isn't hypocritical, however it's true that there are a lot of hypocritical people involved with it, just like any other group.

My view of clergy members is the same as anyone else, it vanities depending on who that person is and what kind of person they are

20. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ It seemed to me that the majority of people were saying that it depends on the individual. Or were you referring to only specific posts?