1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roles

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by idream, Jul 21, 2014.

1. idream

idream Guest

This is about the idea of male and female roles in a same sex relationship. Do you feel that its a myth, because I've heard away. If you think it happens, what role do you play? Personally I feel one partner tends to be feminine while the other is masculine, and I've always pictured myself being the *guy* thoughts?

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I think It's a myth, because there are femme/butch, femme/femme, and butch/butch couples. I think one partner may be more of a 'leader'...but I don't think it has to do with femininity or masculinity. Even straight couples don't follow gender roles all of the time, you can see two masculine, two feminine, or even feminine male/masculine female in hetero relationships as well.

3. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it's more and more often not the case in opposite-sex relationships even. There are some Old World holdovers that still expect a male provider and a female homemaker, but what "roles" people take in long-term relationships seem to me to more so depend on each partner's personality and preferences more than anything (again, as long as you don't "throw" stereotyped roles on the thing).

And obviously, that's even more so the case same-sex relationships.

4. idream

idream Guest

That's rather smart...thanks:slight_smile:

5. TheStormInside

I think it might happen in some relationships, but not others? It really depends on the people involved and the dynamic between them.

I've not been in a same sex relationship, but with female friendships sometimes I'm the more feminine one, sometimes the more masculine. I would say I fall on the feminine side of the middle of the gender spectrum, but I'm not very "girly." In my relationship with my ex-bf I think we were both kind of feminine despite him being a guy.

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender roles at least to me are complete bullshit.

7. sugarcubeigloo

It depends on who I'm with if I take on a leader or follower position (its not usually a set and permanent role as its subject to change based on the situation).

I also hesitate to define dominant or not roles based on gender as I know quite a few straight couples who defy that idea.

8. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I think it's ridiculous, gender roles have no place in a same sex relationship, or anywhere for that matter.

9. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I saw a great cartoon that showed a fork and a spoon talking to a pair of chopsticks, saying "Which one of you is the spoon?" That's kind of the way I feel about it. I'm a better cook than my wife and she's more likely to spend a Sunday watching football. Does that make me the woman in the relationship, and her the man? But I also do the electrical repairs and snake out the toilets, so am I the man?

My guy and I are very well-matched in a lot of things, so if we eventually both cook and both repair things, and neither has any interest in football, is one of us the woman?

You find out what each of you is comfortable doing and you do it. No need to label it as anything but cooperation, compromise and love.

10. Acm

Acm Guest

I think it's a myth. There might be some couples like that, but that doesn't make it true for every couple

11. Cass

I think that it varies in every relationship both same sex and opposite. It really depends on people in the relationship.

12. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's been said and said...do I *really* need to say it here? I did a whole thread on this about a year ago. There is no guy in a female-female relationship! If there was, it wouldn't be a female-female relationship. Nor is there a "guy".

That said, ff relationships vary a lot...in some, one is more dominant; in some one or both enjoy sports; in most, at least one works...when both work, one almost always makes more money than the other...but that's not gender; it's mathematics (think about it)!

My relationship with my partner is very egalitarian. We each have our own areas of expertise and defer to one another in those areas. When it's close on something important, we talk a *lot* to completely understand one another's position and reach a sensible decision. We make roughly the same amount if you view our salaries as hourly (but only roughly...one still makes more than the other *wink*).

13. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a myth. To be honest I think it's largely a myth in straight relationships but it's a myth they tend to have to contend with in a way that is more pressing than it is in gay relationships. My partner and I have very definite roles in in one sense and actually if you lined up the stereotypical male female dualities--even the silly ones like one will stop and ask for directions and one won't--almost down the line one of us is one side of the spectrum and the other is on the other side. But the problem is with about half of them I'm the guy he's the girl and about half of them he's the guy I'm the girl. Rather than letting some outdated notion of who should do what control us we're free to pick the roles that best fit our aptitudes. We're also free to change those roles if situations change. I remember in the early days of our relationship I did most of the cooking, now he does. Part of the reason is that we discovered much to the surprise of both of us that he's really good at it. We only discovered that though because a few years ago he got laid off and had difficulty finding work for several months. For a while he just had more time than I did and so we agreed he would take on the meals as his responsibility. Because we discovered he was really good at it when he was back to work full time he kept the meals and we negotiated new responsibilities for me. I think more and more straight couples do the same sort of thing but I feel like there's always a bit more of the bugaboo of gender roles in the background for them. I'm glad all that is largely irrelevant for us.

#13 OGS, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  14. KyleCats

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's crap. Actions and interests are not gendered. In my longest relationship (5 years) which was a straight relationship because I had not yet realized I was trans, he did most of the cooking and cleaning while I was the one who put furniture together and fixed the car (I don't even drive but I can fix 'em up). He was better at math. I was better at science. We both loved poetry and death metal *shrugs*

Most people are a mix of masculine and feminine and that reflects in any relationship. It depends on the people involved.

15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i will be the butt of the relationship, they can be the thighs or shoulders. maybe the fingers? eh they can pick, but i AM the butt

16. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really like the whole who is the guy in the relationship question. So I don't really identify with that. But I'm a pretty feminine person.

17. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah I agree nothing pissed me off more than hearing whose the man in your relationship , It's two women for Godsake there is no man !!!:tantrum:

18. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i can't wait if the day comes that I get a boyfriend,:dry: there's one person, a cousin, who'll make that crack "who's the woman", my response will be something like" I don't know but i do know you're the Bitch.":badgrin:

19. chrisyboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gender roles are gone or mostly going these days. Obviously you can still have a dominate man at the head of a straight house hold, but it's not assumed. Women can be very much the dominate one in the house (especially with men who just want an easy life haha).

One of the good things about SS relationships is that I think we're more equal by and large in a relationship.

20. fluffybunnies

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This. Another one I heard on TV was asking a vegetarian what part of their salad was the meat...