1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a little mad about the "friendzone" topic...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 101DeadRoses, Jul 21, 2014.

1. 101DeadRoses

OK. Recently, I saw a post or fifty on facebook whining about "friend zoning" and how horribly awful it is.
    This irritates me like a rash.
    Let me understand my concept of the friendzone.

So. You have asked someone out and they have said "No, I'd rather we be friends."
    To me, that is not that horrid. Frankly, I'd be happy that they didn't push me out of their life altogether. But to the "friend zoned"?
    The subject of many the meme and whiny tweet, where they complain how hard it is to get out of.

Alright, my opinion time.
    "Friend zone" is not what it is called when you have been rejected and told that they would rather be friends; it is a mindset. When you have been rejected and told that they would rather be friends, that is called "just friends."
    The friend zone is when you completely and totally lose your mind over said rejection and refuse to let it go and move on, not being grateful that you're still friends, not realizing that maybe he or she cares too much about your friendship to risk getting in a relationship, then break up with you and lose not only a lover, but a friend as well. It's when you whine about it and seek to get out of it constantly instead of accepting that a romantic relationship is probably not going to happen and moving on with your life and dating outside of your friend circle.
    It's when you just don't realize that maybe, just maybe, you should take no for an answer instead of complaining. Unless you are madly in love with them, it can't be that horrible. Even if you are madly in love with them, and they say no, be glad that you're still in their life!
    And if you ask a guy or girl outside your circle of friends out and they refuse, and say they want to be just friends, you have a new friend! Maybe when they get to know you they'll get to like you as well.

Thank you for letting me vent.
    So sorry if you get butthurt.

Seriously though, stop whining! :bang:

2. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I agree! Fuck the friendzone and whiny people!

3. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I got friend zone i'm still hurt by it but ,maybe that person wasn't right for me they had so much red flags so I'm sad but, glad the only reason I'm sad is because my ego got hurt but there are hotter and sexier women out there with bigger boobies .:icon_bigg

4. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I've never been upset by that kind of rejection. Most people I've asked out just say no, but I kind of appreciate it when they make it clear they still want to be my friend. I personally have used that on people who have asked me out.

5. Foxface

so-called friendzoning is sickening to me...no offense intended

It basically says to me "this woman/man owes me something...I deserve this from this woman/man...I didn't get it, therefore they are at fault"

that's what it seems like to me

Be proud to be in their lives in any capacity if you care about them. I'm not syaing it doesn't sting to be rebuffed. Happened to me a lot in my life. I'm not terribly attractive by societies standards and that's fine...and I know it's easy for me to say this now being married and all, but it would have been foolish of me to say that when I was a teenager that so-and-so friendzoned me....it brings out this air of victimization where it is not necessary. They didn't feel that way about me...hurts...but then I realize I am owed nothing...and frankly they probably weren't right for me anyway

6. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

*puts a nice lunch and a dollar into a woman's bra*

where does the sex come out, i was a good friend dammit, i paid emotionally for this sex now hand it over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-gay axolotl in THE FRIENDZONE rated PG-13 for pretty gay-13-and-up-

7. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    I never understood the friendzone... I mean i dont like when i want something and i dont get it but... The friendship part is not the problem, lack of sex/romance is a problem, friendship is not.

Lets wvaluate 2 scenarios:

You wanted relationship but she/ he just wanted friendship... Nice! A person you are willing to date is your friend! That person is problably a nice friend because she have traits that make you want to spend time wth that person! So enjoy! One day you will be in a relationship with domeone else while still enjoying this beautiful friendship.

You wanted sex... Have you got sex from someone else recently/ are you likely to get sex from someone else in the near future? If the answer is yes Your sex life is well, why are you complaining?... If your answer is not, then your problem is not that her/him doesnt want to have sex with you, the problem is that you are not getting sex at all, and the offer of friendship is not a problem itself, actually some of e people having sex are friends, some are not, so the friendship is irrelevant to how good or bad is your sex life. Also, who knows, the same person who "friendzoned" you, might give excelent dating advice, might help you figuring out why people reject you so much. Also friends give emotional support with makes you more stable, and who knows, maybe having more friends will distract you and make you less desperate therefore you might become more attractive.

8. Candace

Totally understandable! I've been friendzoned many times and when I reflect on those times, I'm so glad that they're just friends and not lovers. Like the saying goes, there are plenty of fish in the sea. :dry:.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The "friendzone" thing can be annoying, but how could you ever hold it against the person? As if they owe you their romantic and carnal pleasures.

Claiming friendzone is just a way to blame somebody for the pain that came from nobody's transgression.

10. Candace

That's what I was thinking. It's the person's own fault for expecting something in terms of a reward.

11. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Even thought I get sad and hurt being rejected I think it's much better than being in the friend zone or staying friends with someone in hopes they date you . I don't care much for it and there are other fish in the sea , Much hotter sexy fish in the see screw that person . By not friend zoning me you did me a favor . But sometimes I like to just not ever talk to this person again and find a knew chick .

12. Data

Data Guest

To me, the friendzone is different from what you describe, or at least goes a little deeper than that.

You meet this person, and you become friends. Then you notice that you actually really like this person, and develop romantic feelings for them. However, at this point in time the relationship you have is of two trusting, close friends. It is hard for the other person to see you in "that light" of a boyfriend or girlfriend. You are great friends, but it might be strange or awkward to pursue a sexual relationship. It is at that moment that the other person says "I'd rather just stay friends" so that they can preserve the dynamic that already exists and not disturb the relaxed, comfortable trust that two strictly platonic friends share.

THIS is why the friendzone is so hard to escape. Getting over the feeling of "X is just a friend, and I can't see myself having sex with him/her" is hard to do if you have known each other for a while.

I was having a conversation with my friend a while back and we were talking about relationships. He had asked why I hadn't found a boyfriend yet. I told him that boys that I like are hard to find when they're disguised in their unintentional camouflage. I also tend to crush on straight guys and just end up sad and lonely when I realize they are straight and am left coming down off my crush. He then went on about how he's stuck in the friendzone with this girl that he really likes and it's killing him slowly. I stifled a smirk, and just told him I know the feels.

The hetero friendzone dilemma has NOTHING on a magically enchanted, impossible, straight crush. :tears:

13. Aquacielo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Amen! :tears: there should be like a zone for this, like straight-crush-zoned ooor gay-zoned lol :roflmao: e.g. "I had this huge crush on Jonas but then my friend Tina told me he has a GF, way to go Tina you dream wrecker, you just put me in the straight-crush-zone" hahahaha real life reference :lol::roflmao::lol::roflmao:

14. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is why I'm glad I'm gay. Women have this idea that there friendship is some sort of gift and how dare anyone want any more. I'm sorry but people do sometimes want more and when they don't get it they have a broken heart. When they have a broken heart to get over it they need to move on. And sometimes that involves breaking up as friends.

But "Fuck the friendzone and whiny people!" is very insensitive and lacks empathy. It hurts being friend zoned I assume and the rejecter should try to do the rejection as nicely as possible. Not "fuck off you should just value our friendship".

When crushing a man by rejecting him as a romantic partner which people are entitled to do. They are the victims as there friendship is being made some how invalid. Not the man who now has a broken heart. How can someone be angry at friend zoning people? Also I assume that this happens to women as well.

15. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I know this is older but I just got back and saw this now.

But what you're describing is not what the friendzone is even about. Trust me, I know the feeling. I had a crush on my best friend and she rejected me; it hurt a lot. But she was really nice about it, so I'm not going to hold it against her and we're still friends now. I value her friendship too much to let my little crush on her ruin it. And to be honest, even if I was heartbroken, I'm SO glad she was honest as It's a lot less painful in the long run to be just friends with a crush then for them to react out of pity for you and you finding out that they never liked you in your relationship in the future (happened to me once).

But yeah, a heartbroken person is understandable but It's not really what friendzoning is about. The term 'friendzone' is specifically about whiny men who throw a fit that a woman just 'wants to be friends' and thinks she owes him sex because he was so nice to her. And I don't believe in that at all. I've rejected many male friends, and I'm empathetic to their feelings, but my body isn't their property just because they were good friends and they have to understand that.

16. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People are using the term "friend zone" as a synonym for "reject" and I simply don't think that's true. Replace the term "broken heart" with "blue balls" and you'll get a more accurate portrait of the way my college friends use the term "friend zone". For them, it is only about sex and only about a girl not being interested in having sex with them. A broken heart has nothing to do with it, although they are disappointed, of course.

However, I'm not looking down on my friends. They aren't the Elliot Roger-type who think women owe men sex or a relationship, but they do seem to think there's something slightly wrong with a woman who won't put out for them. As if they are just so drop-dead irresistible :rolle:

Anyway the point is: no one owes you sex, no one owes you a relationship. A person has every right to reject you. If they want to remain friends with you and you aren't comfortable with that, then by all means, ignore the "friend zone" and drop them as a friend.

17. Randomcloud

It's fine to be disappointed by rejection from someone you're interested in but the whole "friend zoned" concept is kind of shallow and arrogant to me, like "I can't believe they don't want to get with ME"...I mean if you really cared for the person you'd be grateful that they want to be your friend right?

18. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Accused of friend zoning a guy once. Sorry that I don't find you attractive. :dry:

19. Tai

Tai

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    -shrugs- I just use it as the term when someone calls you a friend and nothing more. I got friendzoned by a friend, and I was a little sad. But I didn't get all whiny about it, I just moved on. I call that being friendzoned.

20. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian

I'm dealing with a guy like that, he thinks just because he was nice I should like him and be head over heels for him.:dry: