1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The ghettoization of homosexuals into a set class of stereotypes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by whereamigoing, Jul 22, 2014.

1. whereamigoing

Or stereotypes suck. This is coming from a conversation that i had with my best friend the other day. i had brought up panic at the disco and her first reply is "every gay guy listens to them". trust me not efery gay guy likes panic at the disco, lady gaga, broadway and singing showtunes to our pomeranians.
    yes i may enjoy singing dancing and acting but so doesn't pharrel. i have seen musicals but don't sing showtunes everyday or buy season passes to the opera. i don't hate sports, i suck at them but i don't hate sports. yes i make a lot of hand gestures while speaking but so doesn't my half italian mother. yes i love starbucks and going to the mall but i don't post an instagram pic of every drink i get or only buy what people magazine says is "in". i don't talk in a high pitched voice. I'm a baritone in chorus for goodness sake.you may be wondering why i just made so many stereotypes there. well every single one of those stereotypes has been said about me because of human ignorance and the fact that just because I'm not heterosexual i have to fit a certain category that people who don't understand feel the need to put me in. so if you're fed up of stereotypes leave a stereotype someone has thought of you as. inthe area below

2. Sabot Kitty

I feel you. I believe stereotypes are hurtful not because they're necessarily negative, but because they're a failure to complexly imagine an individual as an individual.

3. whereamigoing

Exactly. plus the worst part the main reason stereotypes like these exist is because of previlant members of our community (i.e. famous peoples) feeding into them

4. Sabot Kitty

I think the famous members of the queer community can't help but play into these stereotypes because there's also a more insidious class-based explanation [I always think there's a more insidious class-based explanation, but bear with me here...]: firstly, many of the the stereotypes you describe are indicative of an affluent urban life, e.g. the theater, coffee shops, malls, et. al. This plays into a complex web of divide and conquer tactics commonly waged against oppressed peoples for centuries: associating an oppressed group, such as women or queer people, with a 'wrongly' deserved and enviable level of comfort [e.g. women and girls receiving their money from a spouse or parent]. You could also see this dynamic at play with venomous stereotypes against Jewish people, who were perceived as usurers who were more well off than the average European through avenues other than hard work. Actually, now that I think about it, you see many of the same stereotypes for queer people, Jewish people, and women, with the alleged decadence and foreign nature of the metropolitan lifestyle. This is all to alienate minorities from material hardships faced by members of the broader working class, not to mention alienating them from the working class in the first place, and make them an Othered scapegoat for the societal ills actually perpetuated by our moneyed ruling class.

And this is not a conspiracy on their part; it's just that these harmful memes are more likely to be replicated in an environment favorable to the aforementioned plutocrats, such as mainstream media. Further, wealthy queer people, Jewish people and women will more often have the spotlight, so thus these dangerous, hateful stereotypes are fed into simply because the affluent are the producers and stars of most media.

Sorry if this explanation is kind of from a radical political perspective, and rather long-winded as well as clumsily worded because I'm sleepy. To make up for it, here is an adorable bunny:

[​IMG]

#4 Sabot Kitty, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  5. kem

kem

The more we pay attention to stereotypes, offending words et cetera, the more they prevail.

Be careful not to shame those stereotypical gay guys though. I know one person who is just too "gay" to function. I could never like those things, but still I think he has every right to be as outrageously metrosexual and wild as he wants. Instead of criticising and complaining about those who fit into the stereotype, try to be an example of one who doesn't.

6. PurpleGrey

Ugh! I do get stereotypes dumped on me now and again. I'm just happy it's not as bad as it could be.

My mom keeps saying shit like, "you like her!" Every time a female appears on tv and isn't ugly. Both her and my stepdad are stubbornly convinced I'm obsessed with being gay and LGBT issues. That I've wrapped my whole identity in being gay. Truth is, I very rarely bring it up or think about it.

Okay, I'm a little girl-crazy, but no more than the average teenager is boy-crazy.

On a semi-related note, I wish she would stop bringing up how much better it would be for me to marry a man. And that shit is based on traditional gender roles to boot!

7. wolf of fire

The biggest stereotype I hate is gay men piece their right ear as I see no logic behind it (most others have stupid logic like all gay men are all feminine) does any one know how that one started?

8. Candace

Yeah, I hate how people say that whenever we have sex it's "disgusting" and that they don't want to hear about it. Alrighty (even though I'm forced to listen to a myriad of hetero sexual encounters and escapades on a daily basis, but you don't see me complaining, do you?), but if you don't want to hear about it, then don't.freaking.ask.

I can remember my mom saying that I must be gay because I'm organizing my walk in closet in my bedroom. Hmm mom, maybe it's because I don't use 65% of my clothes, probably due to the fact that I spend the majority of my time in a dorm on campus or at my father's home, away from your home, therefore demonstrating that I don't need all of these clothes collecting dust and thus is why I'm.getting.rid.of them :bang:.

9. PurpleGrey

I think that's a reference to some code. Supposedly, piercing the right ear shows other gay men you're also gay. I don't know how they tell the difference between intentional and unintentional in that regard. There is probably a top/bottom variation, since left and right often are used that way, supposedly.

10. kem

kem

I thought the gay ear thing was just a joke thing that people used to tease, ie. whichever ear you pierced it was always the 'gay' one

11. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's funny how some straight people think lady gaga is gay people's leader and we all love her . I love stepping into a gay bar just to prove these people wrong it's so funny when people find out I'm lesbian and their shocked that I'm dressing nice and I'm attractive and not wearing flannel shirt oh and that I have long hair and make up on .:roflmao:

13. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

Hey, I just wanted to drop by and ask you to not use the word ghetto. It's not a big deal or anything, but ghettos were torture cities in WWII that Nazis stuck Jews in to play god. Although the word has morphed into commonspeak, I am somewhat offended, only because I've been to the Natl. Holocaust Museum and I've seen what actually went on in there. Sorry if this is off topic, but please don't use that word in this context in the future.

14. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

Thought this would be about how gay ppl gentrify neighbourhoods then the rich ppl want to live there and screw up the prices so the gays have to move ha

15. whereamigoing

Dear arthurok, I was not using the word ghetto in the sense of seperating a certain class into a certain place. that. is. Shown by my usage of the words "into a set class of stereotypes. so the meaning of the words i used is The seperation of homosexual people into a set class of stereotypes. i was not making any reference to any religious political or social class being forced into a set area. so you're statement is simply and utterly wrong in this present situation also another thing is ghettos were not torture cities as you speak. they were the nazi partys horrible inhumane way of seperating miinorities from the "pure blooded Aryans" yes they used them as a way to seperate jews and make it easier to send thrm off to concentration camps. The cities were not torture cities. The concentration camps were. Another thing is ghettoization has occured many times in history with the term originating in venice italy. So here is the sum of why you're statement is wrong
    A. It was using ghetto in the sense of physical seperation whereas i used it in a pyschological sense.
    B. It had misconceptions of ghettos as torture cities only for jews during world war 2/ the holocaust whereas ghettos have existed for as long as human civilization has existed.
    C. You think the word has become common speech because people nowadays will use it to describe an area they think only a certain type of people live in. When i was using the word it actually meant the seperation of a certain class/group into a set thing. Because of your ignorance you believe ghetto only means a place where jews were forced to live or as "the common speak" as you put it a place where only one type of people resides. Whereas both definitions are incorect wholesomey. Such misconceptions are common but please don't go correcting people if you don't know the true use of the word and or the true definition of the word.

16. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I fit all the stereotypes too, I'm super feminine, wear some feminine clothes, go to plays, enjoy campy movies, make feminine gestures, have a high pitched voice, and I hate sports. In addition I don't consider myself to be a man, and while that's different from gay, a lot of people don't know that.

17. ArthurOK

ArthurOK Guest

Hey, well we both have our own opinions. I'll respect yours if you'll respect mine. I understand that you do not find it offensive. No biggie!

---------- Post added 22nd Jul 2014 at 06:52 PM ----------

And, I'm somewhat more sensitive, because I have family + friends who had died/survived, so the word is somewhat triggering for them as well. I apologise if it wasn't my place to intervene.

18. whereamigoing

Understood. have a nice day
    p.s. i love your profile pic

19. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some ones that I have come across:
    Person has never dated opposite sex, they have to be gay! If a man has effeminate movements, voice and likes to dress nice, he is gay! Gay people are sluts. If you are gay, that means that you are attracted to every single person who happens to be the same gender as you.

Stereotypes are hurtful. They further spread about misinformation. There really needs to be more done to get the general public properly educated on this.