1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Thin Privilege exist?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by edgy, Jul 22, 2014.

?

1. yes

56.2%
  2. no

43.8%
  1. edgy

edgy Guest

straight up answer in the pole
    no need to debate, unless you want to privately on wall messages

2. KazTastic

Thin privilege is the biggest load of bullshit ever

and this is coming from a fat person!

3. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being fat is not an uncontrollable trait. Is it hard to lose weight? Yes. At the same time, the process is simple. Calories in < calories out. The important thing is to stop being sedentary, right?
    This is coming from a fat person.

4. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    um wtf thats the biggest load of shit ever

5. Candace

I'm super thin. Am I privileged to have it? Of course not, I hate it. I've been striving for more weight (around 4-5 years) and still nothing.

6. BelleFromHell

Not really. Yes, fat people are given crap about their weight, but I don't think skinny people are much more "privileged" than they are.

I hate how the fat acceptance movement goes about it. They think someone who weighs 700lb can be healthy, and that's not a good message to send. While people certainly shouldn't be discriminated against for their weight, it's completely absurd to think someone who is obese (meaning someone who is well over their heathy body weight) is going to be 100% healthy.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No. People don't have to be fat. Exercise and eat less.

8. Cap’nSerious

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the most part yes, but some people have genetics that makes it a lot harder/can't lose weight.

I'm really skinny, but I hate when people say when someone is chubby they are not attracted. Sure would they be more attractive if they were thinner, but it doesn't make them "unattractive"

9. Brodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm horribly thin.. An it's no more attractive then being fat. I would prefer a healthy weight.. There is no privilege in being frail and thin.

10. sonia98

In my school all of the "popular" girls are underweight (although not all of the underweight girls are popular). They get more comments/likes on social media, more guys hit on them, more girls are jealous of them, etc. They aren't well liked and usually don't have successful friendships/relationships. Most of the girls in my group are on the thinner side of healthy weight, except me and one girl who I tend to describe as "curvy". Girls in my group are probably unpopular not because of our weight, but because we THINK we can't be popular because of our weight. Skinny privilege, in my experience, exists because us not-skinny girls think we are less, and not because skinny girls actually have an advantage over anything. We don't put in the effort to be popular because we think we can't be, and the pretty skinny girls think they can.

11. I'm somewhat naturally thin, meaning that I'm in the middle of the pack but it's way easier for me to lose weight than to gain it, and boy do I lose it so easily. I can eat average to large meals and my weight doesn't change at all, but when I eat a bit less, I lose a sizable amount of weight.

This doesn't mean that it's good. When I was skinnier than my current size, people called me anorexic and thought I was purging myself. This offends me a lot because people think that I'm unhappy with the way I look, I'm not.

I don't get those comments anymore, either because no one cares as much or I became more sedentary since 2011, which caused me to gain a bit of weight over time.

Overall, I feel that thin people get more crap from others than fat people.

12. kem

kem

I used to be fat, now I'm not. It takes a permanent lifestyle change and commitment to reducing your calorie intake. Sure it might be hard, and some might never lose all the weight they would like to (I still have some fat I don't think will ever burn), but anyone with a healthy diet and moderate exercise can — and eventually will — look good.
    I am lean now, and I have worked for it, and I keep on at it.
    //

Now as for the matter of thin privilege: I don't think it exists really. People make fun of both ends of the spectrum. And skinny men in particular get a lot of flack for their lack of mass.

#12 kem, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  13. AlexTheGrey

I think by "thin privilege" it is supposed to encompass people with a healthy weight as well.

But there is a bit of a point there, in my mind. Just in the sense that we build things for the "average" person. Too short, too tall? Too wide? Certain things become harder to do or don't fit properly. And there is a level of judgement assigned to your weight in either direction, even if it isn't something you control. My metabolism in high school got me the nickname "twig", despite the fact that I'd eat more than most people.

There's something to be said about being supportive in order to help motivate someone to maintain a weight in a healthy range (for them), rather than cracking the whip. And the world certainly isn't made for people who aren't within a certain size range. But is it even in the same order of magnitude as something like white, male, or cis privilege in western culture? That one I'm a bit more skeptical about. It seems more like there are many traits, where if you diverge too far from the "default", you get put at a disadvantage or are ignored by society. How much of one depends on which trait(s) you are talking about.

14. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah there is. They can go to the grocery store/restaurant/gym and not be judged. You really can be overweight/obese and be healthy. I've got a clean bill of health from my doctor from my last physical. Am I unhealthy?

15. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm debating whether this example falls under "thin priviledge" or "have lost weight priviledge" - anyhoo here goes...

Some guy at work had lost probably close to 100 lbs over a few years. It was amazing to see how, for some colleagues including management, this magically made him the employee of the year, capable to cure cancer and bring world peace etc... You probably get the idea. Most of his skillset was rather average at best but you'd never guess hearing all the people fawning over him and his new-slimness. Sort of like the incompetent buffoons with a picture on their desk of them climbing a mountain or running a marathon.

Hope he's just as lucky in his new job because based on some facebook photos most of it is back...

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't think Thin Privilege exist but one thing as a thin person no one has ever made fun of me when I walked , but I have been told I'm greedy for getting a second helping . :dry:
    I love food damnit :tantrum:

17. Sabot Kitty

I thought the OP requested for us to not discuss it...

18. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think thin privilege exists but It is awful how some people treat fat people. onthe other hand, I also don't understand how people try to deny that obesity isn't bad for health. Yes, about a third of obese people can be metabolically healthy and had so signs of heart disease, diabetes, etc. but when compared to metabolically heathy average weight people, they still had a 24 higher percent chance of dying. Also a large portion of the obese but "healthy" were younger and it was shown that overtime they are more likely to become metabolically unhealthy than those of average weight. In these studies there was a big difference between people who fall into the obese range than people who fell into the overweight range. The people who fell in the overweight range only had slightly worse health problems overall than the average weight ones

19. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I may be big but I am healthy. Ive proven my former doctor wrong not once but twice. He flat out told me "I was 99.9 percent sure I was going to diagnose you with diabetes." However I have a friend who can eat 20 chicken nuggets and loose 5 pounds yet I eat 1 french fry and gain 25 pounds.

20. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure I'd put being thin in the same category as being straight, wealthy, male, or white. For guys, it's considered unattractive and laughable, and most models, actors, athletes are more on the muscular side. For girls in my culture (working class Hispanic), they're constantly told that real women have curves, and that bones are for dogs, not men.

When people discuss losing weight, rarely do they have turning into a twig in mind, which is what a lot of us with fast metabolisms are, essentially. I've been bullied, ignored, and questioned, simply for not living up to their standards.

If being called "malnourished" and compared to Jewish holocaust survivors is "privilege", then yeah, you can say I am...