1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is a gay bar the worse place to look for a relationship ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by stocking, Jul 22, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    After going to the gay bar twice , I've came to the conclusion that ,it's not the best place to find a potential girlfriend ;But in the past it was the only place for us to find each other but it seems like no one in there is looking for a relationship and only wants to hook up .
    Anyone else noticed this or is this just me ?
    I still like to go sometimes just to make friends with other lgbt people .

2. Black Raven

Black Raven Guest

Well I'll have to agree that gay bars are usually used as a place for hooking up, not form long-term relationships. There are of course exceptions, but usually, yes, they're for hooking up.
    And I admit to enjoying them for that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Finding someone suitable for the companionship YOU want in such a bar is of course possible, and it might not be the worst place, but it certainly isn't the best either. I honestly wouldn't know where else to look specifically for other gays though. Pride, maybe? More alternative districts of your town?

That's my opinion and experience anyway.

#2 Black Raven, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  3. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You might google
    top 6 places to find lesbians ...

4. Candace

I think it depends on what type of people you want to hook up with and what your standards are.

5. BelleFromHell

I think ANY BAR would be the worst place to look for a long-term relationship.

6. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    If you don't want to hook up at all your out of luck , that's why I only go there now to make friends .

7. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think anywhere you go looking for a mate is likely to be a disappointment. On the other hand anywhere you go where you genuinely enjoy yourself you can eventually find someone that you might want to have a relationship with--if the places you pick happen to attract other gay people (gay bars do but so do a lot of other places) this may be easier in the long run. I met my partner of 16 years in a gay bar and know a lot of similarly long term gay couples who met each other that way--but most of them for one reason or another (including myself) actually liked gay bars. Going somewhere (anywhere) that you don't enjoy in the hopes of meeting the love of your life is kind of silly.

8. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd argue that sites like Craigslist and and certain apps are just as bad, but then, most people there aren't looking for long-term commitment.

That said, almost all of my relationships have started on forums or in the classroom, so...

9. AKTodd

Agreed re everything OGS has said here, but regarding this point in particular. One of the somewhat common things I see on EC from time to time is folks apparently going into every interaction, social event, and situation with an eye to finding 'the one'. I suspect that this almost never works. In fact, it can actually be counter-productive - people can sort of pick up on that level of determination (or desperation) and find it offputting.

Even worse is when people seem to be looking for a relationship while simultaneously wanting nothing to do with any LGBT person who they don't find attractive or who isn't a potential relationship. This is counter-productive times ten (or maybe a hundred).

IMHO the best thing a person can do to find a potential partner...is to stop looking for them. Keep your eyes (and mind) open to the possibilities. But don't make it the be all and end all of your life.

My 2c worth,

Todd

10. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

places that could be worse:

homeless shelters
    rehab facilities
    psych institutions

11. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Unless I am going to a bar with a friend I really dislike it. I am an introvert and it tends to make me very uncomfortable. I would much rather meet people doing things that I enjoy and being able to share that with them. Being at a bar just drains my energy, makes me anxious, and pushes me farther into my little hermit crab of a shell.

12. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It does the same to me but, I thought this would be a great place to make friends and help with my social anxiety but, people sometimes force me to drink there but I refuse and sometimes I drink because others make feel guilty about not wanting to .

13. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Any place with a pick up type current is generally not the place to look for a relationship. It could work up to 10% of the time, at the most, judging from what I've heard. Most straight relationships that started in singles bars aren't that promising, either.

For that matter, places with common interests that are LGBT oriented also have a pick up atmosphere. People come to check out the merchandise. I knew of one church sponsored GLB group that, according to a friend of mine who went, had their weekly meeting and service and THEN they'd hit the bars. The group folded. But that struck me as funny - church > gay bar.

I think you will find prospects when you least expect it and some kind of chemistry radiates from both parties. That's what I think.

14. jay777

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Obviously there is no standard recipe.
    My bro met his girlfriend online, on a chat site. He likes to chat, though. (don't ask me which one, the language spoken there is not english :slight_smile: )

What might help is just getting active to create the possibility to meet people.
    Ideas could be language courses, sports clubs (even for gay people), or other events or activities which one enjoys.

#14 jay777, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  15. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say that bars are pretty much just for hooking up or having a good time that's about it.

16. Flutters1980

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I completely agree with these 2 posters!

17. wanderinggirl

:roflmao:

You are truly an optimist.

18. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't have a place to put the homeless hot lesbians , rehab facilites I'm not that desperate :grin:
    I usually just go to gay bars now to have fun , I don't think I will met my future girlfriend in there .

19. thekillingmoon

I don't know, I've never been to a gay bar. Do you go there by yourself?

Technically you could meet a potential partner anywhere. I'd like to believe that there is fate when it comes to these things. Like if it's meant to happen, it will happen. Obviously the chances are higher when you interact with a lot of people.

20. the haunted

Eh, it's up there with other terrible places to meet a potential girlfriend. I went to a gay bar once. Lots of gay men and not enough gay women. :confused:

It's times like these where I wish the gay population was larger.