1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think the world will be like in 100 years?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tardis221B, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

What do you think the world will be like in the year 2114?

Interpret as you will :slight_smile:

2. Candace

I hope there will be smarter people, people that have an average life expectancy of 150, and that we have shifted away from traditional means of energy which pollute the atmosphere, such as coal and natural gas. There will be a whole system of high speed rail in the U.S. that can be a useful alternative to driving. The world will actually be about the same as it is now since birth rates will reach their peak (more birth control, smaller families). And I really really hope that we could have peace in the Middle East and in places like Ukraine.

3. Sabot Kitty

We'll have...

-> A computer contained in a special set of contact lenses, which layers internet over reality, and capable of detecting finger or hand motions for interaction; all objects and people are effectively indexed for instantaneous information retrieval, a significant portion of which is user-generated, while some historical ruins can be virtually recreated as if they're new, and some games can utilize the augmented reality for deeper immersion. Signage in foreign languages are also automatically translated, while astronomical phenomena can be decoded into constellations and more.
    -> Discrete 'hearing aids' that can enhance hearing, and enable similar automatic translation for speech.
    -> Clothing, especially gloves, integrated with haptic technology, providing new realms of tactile immersion for entertainment and learning.
    -> All of the above utilized for interpersonal and corporate teleconferencing.
    -> 100 percent realistic computer-generated imagery available for all.
    -> Self-driving cars and other means of transport.
    -> Tissue engineering, organ growing and more help people to live longer than ever before.
    -> Gene therapy for cystic fibrosis, Tay-Sachs disease, and sickle cell anemia, as well as 50% of all common cancer associated with p53.
    -> Aging itself battled through new genetic manipulation treatments.
    -> Fully realized, human-level artificial intelligence that help the world to cope with overpopulation and an increasingly gray population.
    -> Agriculture able to thrive in hostile climates to deal with skyrocketing food demands.
    -> Nuclear fusion technology perfected and commonly used as an energy source.
    -> Mammoths and the dodo cloned; possibly chimeric animal splices.
    -> Weaponized smallpox and airborne AIDS [by fusing it with the cold virus] decimate the population in huge pandemics.
    -> Fully perfected lie-detection technology using fMRIs; also, nearly realized dream and thought visual recreation through similar technology.
    -> 'Spyflies', or miniature mobile spy cameras disguised as insects, and aforementioned information technology effectively eradicate pretty much all privacy.
    -> Nuclear terrorism or war has taken place.
    -> Almost all of the hot button geopolitical issues right now, including the Israeli-Palestine issue, are resolved for better or worse.
    -> Queer people are pretty much totally accepted, racism and sexism are similarly antiquated.
    -> Despite the above, most of the world contends with totalitarian governments or all-powerful plutocracies.
    -> Nonetheless, the great expansion of information availability has accelerated technological progress at incomprehensible rates; most of these predictions here I'd shift to the 2080s rather than the 2110s.

4. PlantSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Uninhabitable- out of room for a growing population, scare resources for that said population and environmentally unsafe due to global warming, pollution, etc.

The bleak thing is that we are to blame for this and I have a feeling that even by that point in time, there still wouldn't have been enough effort to fix our actions.

Hopefully, we would be colonizing other planets at that time, but knowing humans, we'd probably end up destroying those planets too.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am optimistic about the future. We're going to have an assload of problems in the next fifty years, let alone a hundred, but the rate at which tech is advancing is everything that science fiction fans have dreamed about and more.

Socially we probably won't be too different, maybe a bit more liberal still in terms of acceptance unless we hit a resurgence of conservatism like what happened in early '50s America.

I can't foresee "big tech" aka things like aerospace and machinery being improved on a whole lot. The little stuff like that which comes from increasing computer power will be astounding and beyond anything I can predict, but I'll still be disappointed if we don't figure out dark energy or at least get off of dead dinosaurs for our fuel. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe the world will be over populated, most animal species will be extinct (if not extinct the only place you will be able to see them will be the zoo), and it will kind of be like the dr Seuss movie the Lorax with fake trees and everything.

7. Midknight96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hopefully:
    • Master space travel
    • Get into contact with intelligent species from other planets
    • Build incredible AI that won't turn on us
    • Colonize other planets
    • Realize that while shows like Pawn Stars and American Pickers can have interesting tidbits of history, they aren't real f*cking history programs!

8. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    100 Years is a very long time, a hundred years ago it was 1914. Back then, movies didnt have sound or color, cocaine and heroine were legal, Europe owned most of Africa, and we thought trench warfare was a good idea. The world is so drastically different than it was back then and it seems like we are evolving society at a faster rate.

That being said, I really hope this whole internet fad will be over by then. People don't know how to communicate to eachother face to face anymore. Texting is not the same as having a conversation. I've never had a conversation where you say something to someone and then they wait 10 minutes to think of what to say back or don't say anything at all.

Although, I kind if fear it will be the opposite and people are more disconnected from the world and spending too much time on the internet(not that I don't spend way too much time on the Internet, I'm trying to stop though)

Its really impossible to predict anything, In 1914, no one would've imagined what the world is like today

9. returningflame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Lemme put it this way. Technology is like a rock rolling down a hill. Its only getting faster (and by that I mean more advanced) per year. So
    1. Life expectancy will be FAR more than 150, 'technically' speaking
    2. We will either be all dead or in a post-apocalyptic dystopian society/world OR
    3. So technologically advanced, we will have solved most diseases and genetic disorders using nanotechnology (dead serious here).
    4. Some form of imperfect perfect bio-mechanical symbiosis (in other words, human-robots such as artificial limb)
    5. Invisibility Cloaks. I know right!?
    6. Technology far beyond our imaginations and due to government meddling and 'conspiracies', very LIMITING. Wouldn't it be nice to have healing nanobots inside you that instantly heal and do near superhuman things for you without the constant fear of an existing KILL switch that the government will most definently 'install' at some point in the future. -_-
    7. Ponicorns

10. PICollins91

Just got back in my DeLorean (Doc Brown says hi), here's what I have to report:

- Man will colonize the planets of Mars, Venus and Minnesota
    - Cars will run off of oil shipped from other galaxies
    - Computers will be replaced by genetically engineered dixie cups attached to strings
    - The President of the United States will be a hologram of Morgan Freeman
    - After Hollywood's collapse and complete bankruptcy, California will be bought out by Google to form their own country of Googletopia where everybody must have a Google+ account for citizenship
    - New York City will be overrun by alligators who have survived for a hundred years in the sewer system. Mayor De Blasio the 20th will have an army of Robocops created and led by a hologram of Peter Weller to combat them
    - A new language will be created that the whole world will use which will consist only of swear words from around the world hence why everyone is so angry all the time
    - The only store in existence will be Amazon after they buy literally everything
    - After the death of racism and homophobia, a new kind of phobia will take hold as Martianphobia sweeps much of the southeast, "Them darn Martians are here to take our jobs! Our women folk too!"

11. RayXxx

RayXxx Guest

Assuming that all the ice won't melt in a 100 years where climate change dooms us all ( at least our kids kids) if we don't do something about it soon, technology will expand and grow in almost every way. We will have AI that may possibly be smarter than humans, and self organizing mechanisms/devices.

12. lowkey

lowkey Guest

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    We will all have flying bicycles my clone will be king of the world. Earth will change it's name to chocolate society. Seriously I don't know

14. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ALIENS!

I think that we just need to wait and see, different things could happen that prevent things we imagine, so I don't a clue :icon_lol:

15. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i can date a robot

except i wont be rich enough to fight death : ' (

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Really?

Nobody mentioned Terminators?

17. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i mentioned robots but i like to think their ai would want to understand insread of fight because friendship is the magic that turns dreams into reality

18. returningflame

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I mentioned robots in a roundabout sort of way

19. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I can feel it, I'm in my ship right now, I sight an cylon vessel vessel and attempt to take it down. Pew pew pew. They return fire. Oh Frak, I'm hit! Atleast I will know I died defending the human race.

Well I can dream can't I?

20. We'll have hi-speed green rail with international networks, which will phase out air travel. The trains will become just as efficient as the Eurail and Japanese trains.

Life spans will further increase. The world will become more connected to each other, allowing Africa to further industrialize.