1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The weight of "I love you"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tardis221B, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Tardis221B

Something I recently noticed is that when I tell different people "I love you", either written, spoken, or just thinking it; my heart feels different sensations depending whom the words are directed at. Realizing this actually helped me to understand that I have romantic feelings for women.

For example when I thinking of telling my guy best friend that I love him, my hear feels lighter, I feel happy, and I don't assume a romantic connotation with the word.

However, I have a difficult time telling my some of my close female friends "I love you." (this makes more sense now that I've realized I have crushes on two of those friends :redface:) I automatically assume that love has a romantic connotation when it is directed at women. It's like a mental reflex, almost subconscious. When I write "love, Tardis" on cards to my female best friends my heart feels heavier, with a slight sensation of butterflies. Even a year or two ago when I was closeted to myself the word "love" felt extremely weighty and vulnerable when I wrote it on my best female friend's cards.

I always mean it when I say I love you. But when it is directed at some people the word has happy childlike innocence, yet towards others it feels like my entire soul is being poured out in ink as I inscribe the letters onto the paper.

Anyone else ever feel this way? If so did it help you understand who you have feelings for?

2. Nychthemeron

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sort of.

I can't remember the last time I said the word love, but with one close friend, she constantly tells me that she loves me, and I say it back, but it feels so fucking awkward you don't even know. I usually cower out and just say, "Me too" or "Same."

Just thinking about it makes me feel embarrassed. Fuck.

But, I also write sappy romance stories. You know, to quell my pathetic loneliness. These stories are always about men, and when the main character says "I love you" to his romantic interest, I do, indeed, feel a little flutter in my chest.

That's how I knew I was romantically interested in guys. By my own pitiful storytelling. Oh, boy. That takes desperate to a whole 'nother level. :lol:

Haven't tried it with ladies, although, I never really had to desire to write a story about them. Sorry.

3. Nirvanafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can't imagine myself saying "I love you" unless i was in a long term proper relationship. I just know id fret about it and read into peoples reactions to much and I know a lot of girls at my school say it to each other all the time but I know if I said it they would wonder if I meant it in a romantic way. So I stay away from the phrase (unless i'm being sarcastic, which is too often0.

4. Hexagon

I've never loved someone in the romantic sense, and neither have I said so. I suspect I'd be hesitant to say it, and I'd attribute quite a high weight to it, if I ever said it. I wonder, though. Infatuation seems to change people's attitudes, in a largely obnoxious and illogical way as far as I'm concerned.

5. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kinda know what you mean. I have a crush on my bff, and whenever she says 'I love you,' in a completely innocent way, I feel like my heart might explode and have a hard time responding.

6. Nirvanafan

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't have to deal with that fortunately (I'm mainly friends with guys, too gay to say i love you, might challenge they're heterosexuality... they cant be having that). But there is this guy i have HUGE crush on and everytime he shows the tinniest bit of affection my little heart speads up two speads. I can only imagien what its like for you :/ <3

7. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i have a lot of kinds of love but romantic, it is a mystery, to romantically say i love you, it will take a couple days of panic preparation and may not happen, but my family i love a lot in a family way to love them is easy

8. Peacemaker

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yes, i also feel like this i feel its easier to say it to women and family members, but with guys i feel its hella awkward i hate that, would feel like i would be very vulnerable and naked if i did it to a guy i like

9. CharlsOn

CharlsOn Guest

I think I've never been in love. Like really true love. Once I was kind of close but no.
    To say I love you is the last step to confess and accept love.
    I never told my friends I would love them cause I dunno, i just don't say that to friends. I say sth like 'you're important to me' but love is a different thing here.
    I also never told my mom I would love her'. There's a german term that's similar but not the same. I tend to say that.

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I think the moment you start saying I love you, it becomes a reflex which takes minimal amounts of thought and effort to express as well as an expectation from the other person from that point on. I have people that I love, but rarely ever will I tell them that I love them. I prefer more genuine expressions of those feelings such as doing things for them that reflect them. After all anyone can say those 3 words and mean nothing by them. If you truly love someone unconditionally then you both know and feel that without needing to tell each other all the time.