1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interpretations of sexuality

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Hexagon, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Hexagon

Okay, I feel the need to offer some sort of disclaimer here.

In my philosophy summer school today, I came across an interesting concept I'd like to share with you. It isn't new, either to me, or to the world at large, but it isn't one that most people look with particular favour on. Whilst discussing it in class, though I didn't say so, I thought that I'd probably get [strike]murdered[/strike]intensely frowned upon here for saying it. I guess you could say I'm testing that theory.

I won't bore you with the details any further. The idea I'd like to hear your thoughts on is basically that sexuality is a social construct rather than innate to the person. This is somewhat supported by history. Society's views have changed, as have sexual practices. The bible presents homosexuality as exclusively lustful, a result of too much lust, and it presents heterosexual marriage as the only form in which people can love. The (male) ancient greeks typically regarded sex with women as being for procreation, and with men for pleasure. There are many other examples. In short, throughout much of history, people haven't been gay or straight (or at least labelled themselves such), they've just been sexual. Acts have been gay or straight. There are exceptions, of course. I'm not denying this. But the point stands.

The obvious point to raise here is that people don't feel as if their sexuality could change. The answer is that feeling might also be part of the social construct. A better question would be why some people are queer and others aren't.

This isn't a homophobic theory. It isn't saying that people can choose to be straight, so queers shouldn't have rights. The theory makes no moral judgement about either hetero or homo sex. If, indeed, sexuality is a social construct, then dismantling it would also dismantle homophobia. People would be free to pursue whatever relationship they wanted, not confined to one type.

I know the instinct here is to dismiss this kind of idea out of hand. Please don't. You may end up doing so anyway, but think about it. Oh, and if you could refrain from personal judgements here, that would be nice. I'm going to leave out my own opinions, at least for the time being, as I'm neither really convinced nor opposed to this theory.

*runs and hides*

2. Yosia

I actually see the point this is making.

3. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't see the point, because if it was a social construct, then why wouldn't pray the gay away work? Why would someone intentionally put themselves through the ridicule that you can get for being gay?

4. Hexagon

A question I asked myself above. Pray the gay won't work because god doesn't answer prayers. Because it doesn't exist. Just saying. As for the second question, that's harder. It doesn't entirely refute the point, but it weakens it. It may be that the nature of society is not precisely to encourage heterosexuality, but to encourage the division of people within it - not too far fetched, given that's a useful tool for governments. There are other reasons too, though.

5. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't have to preach to me that god isn't real, any sensible person (sorry religious people) knows that.
    It might only weaken the theory, but i'm still highly skeptical about it.

6. Hexagon

I wasn't preaching. Just asking you keep god out of it. It now seems that wasn't necessary. My apologies. Anyway, that's your right. I didn't ask people to accept the idea, just to think about it.

7. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    There's always a chance that this might be true, but from my own personal experience, there's no way in hell.
    (Sorry if i sound like an arse, that's just my general attitude in debates)

8. Hexagon

In a sense, it's irrefutable, as any denial can be interpreted as cultural in nature. Irrefutable doesn't mean correct, though. It just means that you piss people off in debates. It's like solipsism, and arguments from god, in that respect.

(Don't worry, I get a lot of arses :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

9. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most likely people in ye olde times didn't know much/anything about LGBT people, because they didn't have modern science as we know it.
    And furthermore, if homosexuality is a social construct, wouldn't heterosexuality be aswell?
    And last but not least, the evidence for the sexuality is determined biologically or genetically is rising.

10. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well all living organisms have a instinct to mate no matter how advanced so I think that sexuality being a social construct is unlikely, but then again if it's biology that gives us an urges to mate how comes the LGBT community exists? I'm so bloody confused.

11. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Biology and sexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know, not the most reliable source, but too lazy to find all the individual links.

12. Candace

I don't think sexuality isn't a social construct. Like the person above, I'm gay because I just happen to like guys more than girls, and I feel certain ways towards them in ways that I could never feel towards a girl. As for society trying to tell us that it's wrong, I disagree. Whatever happened to that theory where homosexuality is Mother Nature's way of stopping overpopulation? I like that theory since it doesn't make it seem like I'm some freak of nature that needs to converted in order to fit into what society wants me to be.

In places like India, China, the Philippines, and Bangladesh, where overcrowding is a problem, do you think that procreation and bringing more and more beings into this world is the best thing for their societies?

13. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    While this certainly was true in my case... I can't speak for everyone else. I have no way of knowing if everyone else is simply limited to one sex by their hangups and their environment or if they're limited by a hard biological switch.

Look at this another way: different languages have different systems for color. It turns out the language that we use plays a very strong role in how we perceive color. But some people are also colorblind and see things differently for biological reasons.

14. Moonhammer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm also skeptical about the overpopulation theory, wouldn't this suggest some sort of higher power observing the overpopulation?

15. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really think it is, although I could very easily be wrong. I remember there was a thread on here a whole back about whether gender was a social construct and people really started getting angry, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something similar happen here.

Also it wouldn't be an EC thread without someone offending basically all religions and religious people. I thought this site was supposed to be accepting. It seems a bit hypocritical that its not.

16. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To add to that, why does homosexuality occur in endangered species? Why did it occur at nearly the same rates when there were only a few million humans on the planet? How can someone's body even 'detect' that there are too many other humans? Pretty easy hypothesis to shoot holes in.

17. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously I feel the same way as you towards males otherwise I doubt I would be here and I suppose you have a point about the overpopulation but I doubt that is the explanation. I have trouble believing Mother Nature is that smart.

18. GeekMonkey

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm getting slightly pissed of at how in postmodernism, suddenly every goddamn thing is socially constructed.
    I'm already slightly uncomfortable with people who act like only gender exists and sex doesnt and hence it's all socially constructed, and humans arent really a species with two sexes...
    and now sexuality? Give it a break you guys.
    Biology is biology is biology.

19. Candace

Well I guess so, now that I think about it. They did mention that the world's population was going to cap in the next 50-60 years.

20. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Were talking about the possibility of society affecting gender, we're not saying that that's what happened or that sex is now a byproduct of society, it's a interesting thing to talk about but we just talking about it, if your that pissed with it just don't read.
    Sorry for being harsh. :confused:

#20 That one guy, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014